Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Missouri state inspector told me I had to have a muffler on my car last year when I brought in my mufflerless ZX2.

You don't think that will be a problem if it is like that from the factory do you?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I agree with bluestrat. If equipped from the factory it has to have one in states where they do inspection.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't know about this one because BMW as well as other car manufacturers offer tinted windows as an option and know some people who have gotten tickets.

·
Registered
58 Posts
NJ StreetRacing said:
I don't know about this one because BMW as well as other car manufacturers offer tinted windows as an option and know some people who have gotten tickets.
But could that be because it was a foreign car? Just a thought....

·
Registered
484 Posts
well look at the corvette, it comes with a bracket for the front so you could put instead of the plate...but here in Jersey you can get a ticket for no front plate so, even though it comes from the dealer, you can still get screwed for it.

...yeah let's see them try and get me to put a plate in the front of my SRT when it arrives :wink:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Here in RI we have to have a front plate as well. Will you catch me with a front plate on my new srt-4??!? I think not!!!!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
All new cars from the major manufacturers are spec'ed for street-legalness in all states and provinces, unless they specify it. If it's not already a posted problem on here, then I doubt it's a problem... your inspector is just being a dick. Go get the state regs and wave them in his face if he gives you flack.

Don't forget to leave a rubber trail in front of the office when you leave.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
we had a cop here that went around ticketing kids for tinted windows with factory tint, and like 19 kids were in court the same day and they all proved that it was just factory tint, the cop was fired for discrimination and moved away. :)

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
According to Federal Guidelines:

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 49, Volume 4]
[Revised as of October 1, 2001]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 49CFR325.91]

[Page 727]

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER III--FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION,
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 325--COMPLIANCE WITH INTERSTATE MOTOR CARRIER NOISE EMISSION STANDARDS--Table of Contents

Subpart G--Exhaust Systems and Tires

Sec. 325.91 Exhaust systems.

A motor vehicle does not conform to the visual exhaust system
inspection requirements, 40 CFR 202.22, of the Interstate Motor Carrier
Noise Emission Standards, if inspection of the exhaust system of the
motor vehicle discloses that the system--

(a) Has a defect which adversely affects sound reduction, such as
exhaust gas leaks or alteration or deterioration of muffler elements,
(small traces of soot on flexible exhaust pipe sections shall not
constitute a violation of this subpart);

(b) Is not equipped with either a muffler or other noise dissipative
device, such as a turbocharger (supercharger driven by exhaust gases);
or

(c) Is equipped with a cut-out, by-pass, or similar device, unless
such device is designed as an exhaust gas driven cargo unloading system.

Jake

·
Registered
339 Posts
i learn something new every day. lol

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
WildmouseX said:
someone's been to law school :) good info!

Actually, i spent about 12 hours searching federal archives for this information because of the runaround we have been gettting from MD State Troopers for "Noise Violation". I also found the Decibal requirements as well...then when we asked the MVA to test it, their response was " go to an inspection station and have them check it". :flame: Unfortunatly, every inspection station on the eastern shore that we called does not do dbl testing for exhaust, they just check to make sure the exhuast system has a cat and muffler ( which we corrected them on our car).

For the website that i found the info on:

Federal Archives

·
Registered
799 Posts
1st of all all cars built have to be approved by each state.just like the turbo cummings deisel with 320 hp .we in ca got it approved 1 yr after every 1 else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts