Dodge SRT Forum banner

Need photo of stock underhood scoop for speed nuts

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Haganracing 
#1 · (Edited)
Would anyone be able to post a pic of what their stock speed nuts look like? My hood was replaced several years ago so I can't remember what the stock speed nuts look like and I've been told that DaimlerChrysler didn't service this part. I am planning to have my current hood repainted next year (top and bottom, both with clear coat) and I have a new scoop insert but want to make sure that I come as close as possible (or OEM would be a miracle) for the speed nuts.

#5 ·
God bless you! The ones on my SRT look nothing like yours but, as I wrote, this is the second hood on my car and I have no idea where the body shop sourced the speed nuts that they used years ago. It's a pain that DaimlerChrysler didn't service this part as I would know to just locate two of the correct part number. I will forward your photo to my body shop man- perhaps this will help him to locate parts close to what should be on my car after he repaints my hood.

After seeing so many glossy undersides of hoods at car shows, I'm going to have my hood painted both top and the underside and clear coated to boot. Years, ago, Ziebart applied PPF on my hood and the front fenders and this will be removed at the time of painting as it has yellowed (my body shop guy promised that he won't need to repaint the fenders to remove the PPF). I also have a brand new hood scoop insert to use.

#6 ·
Just so you know, the stock undercoat (at least on my stone white CE) is base coat without clear, near as I can tell. Looks decent but does not have the super glossy look, but I'm looking to keep it as stock as possible.

I'm trying to think of what those nuts are called, I used to know from other applications, they are pretty cheap quality, if you were to get the right size in a narrow nut and hit it with flat black spray paint it would probably look really good against the underside of the car, and if you go with the clearcoat you'd probably just hit it with a gloss black.

But, if you are looking for the exact nut, as you likely already know, hardware stores are probably the best bet. Surprisingly, I've found the smaller Ace style or "ma and pa" types will sometimes have a better selection of oddball style nuts and bolts than the big box stores like Lowes/Home Depot. I had to use Ace hardware to rebuild my HBrace and traction bars with new hardware.

#7 ·
When the body shop replaced my OEM hood several years ago, they really didn't do a very good job painting the underside of the hood. I know that I'll end up with a better paint job than what Belvidere did if I go with a complete paint job including clear coat under the current hood but I've really enjoyed seeing cars at shows that have glossy paint everywhere the factory missed.

I've always heard these fasteners referred to as "speed nuts" so this is what I have looked for. eBay sellers have several speed nuts from Mopar but none that match what your photo looks like. I forwarded your photo to my body shop man- perhaps he can locate something closer to what you have before he does the paint work next spring. I do plan to spray the fasteners with an anti-rust spray paint before mounting... yes, this isn't OEM but my long-term strategy is to avoid rust anywhere on the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.