Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not here to down talk "The Neon." I know better than that. I actually just have a few questions. A good friend of mine has a stage II (04 I think). Car pulls pretty good. From a roll we're actually even I guess. He jumps on me a bumper on the start but he doesn't go anywhere after that ( I have a second of lag with the VF39). I actually pull that bumper back in third and continue to pull after that... but only very slowly. This is from a roll... he wont run me from a dig. :gay: .

Anyhow... questions how much boost will that tiny turbo stuck up in your manifold actually hold?

Secondly... are SRT4 considered good handling cars? Honestly... through turns.... I can't even keep up with him. I don't know if I suck at driving through them or if his car holds the road better than mine does. He just might have bigger cohones than I do.

Thanks for the info
from:
"The Dark Side"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
the srt does handle well but bro you have AWD you should be able to take anything he can.

As far to how much the turbo will hold i am nto 100% sure everyone on here runs someting different. any where between 15-22 psi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,503 Posts
maximum PSI i've read that stock turbo's hold iw 21-22psi MAX. Shit, i'm pushing 21psi with fuel mods. Car handles good but shouldn't handle any better than your WRX. u should lite him up in the turns unless he's done alot of suspension and you're stock suspension.


oh yeah, you cant push that high w/o doing fuel tuning and a fuel return line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
shallowpoint said:
the srt does handle well but bro you have AWD you should be able to take anything he can.
That may be true through the mud. The all wheel drive helps him pull the car forward; this is about pulling the car sideways. AWD still helps some in this area, but not nearly enough to make up for the car's squishy factory setup. The rex has way more body roll than the SRT stock for stock. Add to that the fact that the SRT has upgraded suspension (stage 2 includes some suspension stuff, right? somebody correct me if I'm wrong.), and it's not surprising he gets away from you in the turns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
manic_mopar said:
maximum PSI i've read that stock turbo's hold iw 21-22psi MAX. Shit, i'm pushing 21psi with fuel mods. Car handles good but shouldn't handle any better than your WRX. u should lite him up in the turns unless he's done alot of suspension and you're stock suspension.


oh yeah, you cant push that high w/o doing fuel tuning and a fuel return line.
No stock SRT-4 turbo will hold anywhere near 21 psi. Spike? Sure. Hold. Nope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,352 Posts
yea wrx from the factory arent really the best handling car! the suspension is unpredictable and the the stock tires, are well :gay: . If im not mistaken the ACR handled better then the wrx in pretty much all categories in "car and driver" sorry for magazine racing :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,503 Posts
JCX said:
No stock SRT-4 turbo will hold anywhere near 21 psi. Spike? Sure. Hold. Nope.
sorry, bad wording. But still i spike 21, and hold 19-20 and fall to 15/16 to redline. It holds 20 till pretty high in the rpm band.

And yes my a/f's are safe because i monitor it closely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,765 Posts
shallowpoint said:
the srt does handle well but bro you have AWD you should be able to take anything he can.

As far to how much the turbo will hold i am nto 100% sure everyone on here runs someting different. any where between 15-22 psi
agreed...i am pushing 20psi on stage 2....pulls hard.... :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,397 Posts
my ACR handles damn good! i have pushed the thing pretty hard and it sticks to the road! i have my struts set to the #4 spot and its fun to go through corners!! i havent done twisties in a wrx to compare but stock vs stock i think the ACR will have a slight edge.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold), SRT of the Month
Joined
·
7,512 Posts
japslapr said:
I'm not here to down talk "The Neon." I know better than that. I actually just have a few questions. A good friend of mine has a stage II (04 I think). Car pulls pretty good. From a roll we're actually even I guess. He jumps on me a bumper on the start but he doesn't go anywhere after that ( I have a second of lag with the VF39). I actually pull that bumper back in third and continue to pull after that... but only very slowly. This is from a roll... he wont run me from a dig. :gay: .

Anyhow... questions how much boost will that tiny turbo stuck up in your manifold actually hold?

Secondly... are SRT4 considered good handling cars? Honestly... through turns.... I can't even keep up with him. I don't know if I suck at driving through them or if his car holds the road better than mine does. He just might have bigger cohones than I do.

Thanks for the info
from:
"The Dark Side"
were in NC you located? i live right outside hickory.

i dont think srt-4s (non acr) handle well stock. but thats my opinion. i was able to pull a sti with every bolt-on and a 20g at 20lbs, and i'm still on the stock turbo. but are turbos are good for low end, they like to fall on there face up top.

nigel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,246 Posts
pitviper33 said:
That may be true through the mud. The all wheel drive helps him pull the car forward; this is about pulling the car sideways. AWD still helps some in this area, but not nearly enough to make up for the car's squishy factory setup. The rex has way more body roll than the SRT stock for stock. Add to that the fact that the SRT has upgraded suspension (stage 2 includes some suspension stuff, right? somebody correct me if I'm wrong.), and it's not surprising he gets away from you in the turns.
Stage 2 is all power upgrades no suspension. Unless of course you are talking about the Stage 2 coilovers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,223 Posts
my non ACR 05 couldnt shake a wrx wagon a couple weekends ago up in the twisties. I also couldnt catch an Evo that was in front of me. I must just suck at driving. I did just lower the car last Monday and it feels so much more solid in the corners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
shallowpoint said:
the srt does handle well but bro you have AWD you should be able to take anything he can.

As far to how much the turbo will hold i am nto 100% sure everyone on here runs someting different. any where between 15-22 psi
15-22psi is an acceptable answer. It can be anywhere inbetween.

max efficient boost depends on the amount of back pressure in the system. PTPerformance was getting efficient output at 28psi with a heavily modified exhaust/exhaust manifold.

So, max psi depends on exhaust setup. What kind of exhaust is the guy in the SRT4 running? With a standard 3" TBE, it's about 21psi. That includes O2 Housing, downpipe, and cat-back exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
japslapr said:
I'm not here to down talk "The Neon." I know better than that. I actually just have a few questions. A good friend of mine has a stage II (04 I think). Car pulls pretty good. From a roll we're actually even I guess. He jumps on me a bumper on the start but he doesn't go anywhere after that ( I have a second of lag with the VF39). I actually pull that bumper back in third and continue to pull after that... but only very slowly. This is from a roll... he wont run me from a dig. :gay: .

Anyhow... questions how much boost will that tiny turbo stuck up in your manifold actually hold?

Secondly... are SRT4 considered good handling cars? Honestly... through turns.... I can't even keep up with him. I don't know if I suck at driving through them or if his car holds the road better than mine does. He just might have bigger cohones than I do.

Thanks for the info
from:
"The Dark Side"
Thanks for being smarter and more of an adult they the average WRX owner... Well all except for the "tiny turbo" comment lol its all good. I could just ask how much parasitic drag does that tiny differental of your cause to the drive line... But that would just be childish lol...
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
personally im not impressed with the wrx at all....its not quick

sti is a different story...but the evo is top dog IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,547 Posts
what the hell turbo is the vf-39? don't most of you guys go with the jdm vf34? and stock wrx's should and do out handle any regular srt-4. they're great. just point it where you want to go. you said it man, about not being that great of a driver. you have to learn to drive awd all over again. its a whole different animal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,296 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can outrun a wrx easily. My buddy has an 06 with the Cobb stage 1 or whatever (turboback exhaust and ecu tuner thingy) and I can outrun him easily by 2-3 cars from 20-80. On the freeway its even worse....

A stock 06 WRX only puts down 170-180ish to the wheels
A stock 06 Sti puts down 230ish to the wheels

The 05 numbers are even less than these.... :gay:

Not very impressive...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,223 Posts
my bro's stock 05 evo just put down 254 to the wheels, but then a MR evo put down 248 to the wheels. either way, I couldnt keep up with them or the wrx's in the twisties. Also saw a sti (heavily modded) put down 480 to the wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
were in NC you located? i live right outside hickory.
I actually don't live in NC anymore. I did live in Jacksonville NC but now live "back home" in Va Beach.

Thanks for being smarter and more of an adult they the average WRX owner... Well all except for the "tiny turbo" comment lol its all good. I could just ask how much parasitic drag does that tiny differental of your cause to the drive line... But that would just be childish lol...
LOL... you could have made that comment... but I could have shown you how our 60 ft.'s shrink too. :tongue: Both cars have their strong points and weak points I'm sure. I was actually looking for an SRT4 when I came across my wagon. I love that "Neon."

personally im not impressed with the wrx at all....its not quick

sti is a different story...but the evo is top dog IMO
The WRX is not "bad" for the price. You can get a brand new 06 WRX these days for 23k. Keep in mind that the 06 comes with the 2.5 instead of my measly 2.0 and a decent AWD system.

It is fairly excepted, even in "our community" that the EVO is a superior car. Some will argue, and in some areas the STi will hold it's own. But on a road course... the EVO wins. Mod for mod, the EVO wins and it get really bad when you get to the big power levels.

what the hell turbo is the vf-39? don't most of you guys go with the jdm vf34?
VF39 is the stock turbo for the STi. It's a tiny bit smaller than the VF34. There are quite a few of the VF series. the VF22 is the biggest but is quite laggy.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can outrun a wrx easily. My buddy has an 06 with the Cobb stage 1 or whatever (turboback exhaust and ecu tuner thingy) and I can outrun him easily by 2-3 cars from 20-80. On the freeway its even worse....
Those mods only put him in the 235 on the ground range. I'll give you a run. :hi: just kidding.

Thanks for the info fellas. If you don't mind, I'll be snooping around your boards here to keep up on the "enemy." Yall seem cool!

-Fred
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
I wanted a scooby forever, but it was spensive. Then one day I said "I'm going to get an SRT-4" and 2 weeks later bought one. I was going to get the licence plate "wrxiqtr" executioner-executer-wrxecuter-wrxiqtr. But I didn't wanna have to keep paying to get the key marks outta my car. :crying:

Thanks for stopping by and not being like the last WRXer. :gay:
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top