Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 SRT-4 that the body is completely rusted out. If I swapped everything from the SRT-4 into a regular Neon (including body and interior parts), would the value be close to the SRT-4 or would the car now lose a lot of value? I know a swapped Neon is not worth the full value of a VIN correct SRT-4 so I'm trying to decide if this swap is worth doing value wise? Thanks....

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
Consider your product. This isn't a vehicle that is going to really appreciate in value (at least it doesn't appear to be that way).

My commemorative edition SRT-4 is pristine, in terms of body condition and interior, no rust, never driving in snow, rarely in rain, and stored inside all the time, with under 80k miles. Even in that condition, it only blue books out at 5999 to 8999 dollars.

Now, the car is worth a lot more to me, not that I'd be able to sell it for more, I just love the car that much.

People who buy these cars are looking for good condition, more so than "numbers matching" (as the muscle car era guys would say).

If you are doing this and plan on keeping the car, and enjoying it, then don't worry about the value and just do the swap. Look at the current state of the car, if it's as bad as you say, there isn't much value there anyway. Even with a good engine, transmission, and interior, if those quarters and rockers are rusting out, the value drops like an anvil in water.

Be warned though, if you do decide to do this swap, it is a LOT of work. If you are capable of doing an engine swap though, you should be capable of doing a full vehicle swap like this. There are several threads where people have done this so you'll have some good working information to guide you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Consider your product. This isn't a vehicle that is going to really appreciate in value (at least it doesn't appear to be that way).

My commemorative edition SRT-4 is pristine, in terms of body condition and interior, no rust, never driving in snow, rarely in rain, and stored inside all the time, with under 80k miles. Even in that condition, it only blue books out at 5999 to 8999 dollars.

Now, the car is worth a lot more to me, not that I'd be able to sell it for more, I just love the car that much.

People who buy these cars are looking for good condition, more so than "numbers matching" (as the muscle car era guys would say).

If you are doing this and plan on keeping the car, and enjoying it, then don't worry about the value and just do the swap. Look at the current state of the car, if it's as bad as you say, there isn't much value there anyway. Even with a good engine, transmission, and interior, if those quarters and rockers are rusting out, the value drops like an anvil in water.

Be warned though, if you do decide to do this swap, it is a LOT of work. If you are capable of doing an engine swap though, you should be capable of doing a full vehicle swap like this. There are several threads where people have done this so you'll have some good working information to guide you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your prompt reply. The work involved is of no consequence to me as I’m a master tech with a fully equipped garage at my disposal. I don’t plan to keep the car as I already have several other projects, but I would hate to see this car parted out as I know they do have a following. I was just wondering if I could get 3k-5k out of CLEAN swapped Neon. You pointed out that some people might not be concerned that it’s not a “matching numbers“ car, and that’s exactly the buyer that I want for the car. With that said, I think I’ll move forward with the swap. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
If you have a clean body swapped SRT-4 like that without mechanical issues, 5-7k is not out of the question. Oddly the prices have been increasing online in the last year... I am starting to wonder if we're seeing the end of the "Honda boys" purchasing SRT-4's and trashing/crashing them, and now all we have left are more decent versions that people have taken care of for 15 years, and maybe they are either moving on or have to sell them for some reason.

Up till just a couple years ago, I'd get on car gurus and find half a dozen SRT-4s in the nationwide search for under 5k. Yes, they needed work or they were in pretty rough shape usually, but they were there for sale. I'm not seeing that near as much now.

Today the lowest price one I see on car gurus is for $7999, then of course that $24K nonsense for that commemorative edition sitting in Wisconsin that has been that same price for years now haha.

But I digress...

Let us see some photos as you get into this, and if you have any other questions please let us know. I know the old timers here love to see an SRT getting rebuilt and back on the road, who cares if it has the soul of a base neon.

To be perfectly honest, every SRT has that same Neon DNA :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I’ll definitely keep you guys posted on the progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts