Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a 03’ SRT4 for my kid. Seller states that 3rd gear is out and it has a blown head gasket but still runs. Would it be worth the purchase to fix? Or will I spend too much on making it great again lol

·
Premium Member
4,245 Posts
That's a very difficult question for us to answer for you. We don't know your budget.

I'm always very leary of cars with "blown head gaskets" because the symptoms can actually point towards many different failures within the motor. And headgasket failure isnt very common on these cars unless they have been abused or neglected (or really high miles).

The 3rd gear issues are usually just the shift fork and syncro, which amazingly can be replaced without even pulling the transmission off the motor.

At the end of the day, we here on this site are all bias and want to see as many of these cars fixed and back on the road as possible, but realistically the fiscal responsibility of doing so is very dependent on how much you could get the car for, and how much you're willing to put into it to make it right.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
for less than 1k.. buy it.. worth more than that in parts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you buy it? This car is worth fixing. I’ve been driving mine around for 16 years. I spent 10000$ on upgrading the engine alone so you know what I think about these cars.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Did you buy it? This car is worth fixing. I’ve been driving mine around for 16 years. I spent 10000$ on upgrading the engine alone so you know what I think about these cars.
What have you done to your engine? How many miles? Any transmission repairs?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a built bottom end with all forged components. Custom wiseco pistons, bored.04 over. Those were expensive. I also changed out the cam with a crower s2. The place that did the engine work is know locally for building performance engines so it wasn’t cheap. that was last year so my engine has just a few thousand miles on it. I expect the Engine should be indestructible now. Im still running the stock head im looking to change that out soon with the ported head from modern performance. Then the engine will be completely built. I live in the San Francisco area so there’s a lotta machine shops around here that work on nothing But rebuilding engines. my Transmission is still all stock internals and Good to go because I shift easy. I never power shift and never force it into gear if it doesn’t want to go in. That how transmissions break. 16 years and the transmission is still good. It’s a stout heavy duty transmission and never gave me any issues all I’ve done is change out the clutch and clutch fork and slave cylinder, regular maintainance

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a built bottom end with all forged components. Custom wiseco pistons, bored.04 over. Those were expensive. I also changed out the cam with a crower s2. The place that did the engine work is know locally for building performance engines so it wasn’t cheap. that was last year so my engine has just a few thousand miles on it. I expect the Engine should be indestructible now. Im still running the stock head im looking to change that out soon with the ported head from modern performance. Then the engine will be completely built. I live in the San Francisco area so there’s a lotta machine shops around here that work on nothing But rebuilding engines. my Transmission is still all stock internals and Good to go because I shift easy. I never power shift and never force it into gear if it doesn’t want to go in. That how transmissions break. 16 years and the transmission is still good. It’s a stout heavy duty transmission and never gave me any issues all I’ve done is change out the clutch and clutch fork and slave cylinder, regular maintainance
Nice. I shift my transmission the same way. I use ATF-4. Never got on the motor oil bandwagon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
even though the transmission has been proven to take 600+ hp I still shift easy.i remember this guy who forced his transmission into gear and after had problems with grinding. when you have hundreds of horsepower shifting easy will prolong the life of the tranmission. Right now I’m useing the atf4 with Recommended friction modifier. ive used amsoil synchromesh in the past but I didn’t see any difference in shifting. I’ve never used motor oil in the tranny but don’t see any problem with that because most Synthetic motor oils are highly engineered and work very well, even in the tranny. With that though I use only amsoil in my motor. It’s like $100 per oil change but that’s what I prefer. Also I use only amsiol oil filter too. The Royal purple oil filter is the same filter So I could use that as well. amsiols oil filter is the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts