Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're currently working on drag wheel for SRT application. We need some input on this. I put up a post on the wheel section but we may get more replies in this section.

The main questions we have are:
1. Will a 13" wheel clear? If so, what modifications are needed?

2. We need to check the Inside diameter clearance for some of the brake setups. anyone know the rotor diameter + the caliper?

3. Are 15" wheels preffered for drag racing setups? What width would you run?

Its not difficult for us to do a 5x100 setup, its just a matter of need and demand if we should go through with it. We can actually do different widths and backspacing per your request.

Please let us know since we're excited about this if people are interested. If this violates any forum rules, please delete. We're just interested on input from racers themselves if this is something people would be interested in. Thank you.

Exospeed Racing Wheels

·
Premium Member, SRT of the Month
7,990 Posts
I've always liked the wheels yall make in 4x100. This could be a great thing for us. 13's won't fit around our front brakes. Typically everyone runs 15x7's for slicks but a 15x8 would definitely be preferred. The hardcore guys swap to regular neon front hubs/brakes and do 13's but that's not very common so a 15" rim would have a much bigger demand. I'll hafta let someone else chime in with all the measurements.

·
Registered
333 Posts
x2 what he said!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys. This is going to be on our 3 piece wheel that we just came out with. So we can do the different width choices plus the backspace options. Each wheel is custom made and once we have the 5x100 forged centers done, we can put a wheel together to your spec within 2 days.

I spoke with Damian who bought Crawford's and Kevin Van Natten about this. Theyre the ones that encouraged us to look into applications for you guys.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Just got through measuring my Motegi Traklite II wheels that are 15x7's.

The backspacing on them is 5 3/8". If you were to create a 15x8 rim with a maximum backspacing of 5 1/2", there should be no issues of spring perch clearance for those who want to run a 24.5 x 8.5 - 15 slick.

Hell, I'd be down for a 9" wide wheel, myself! But at that point, it would probably be best to run those with a set of coilovers, and have a backspace along the lines of 6 - 6 1/2" to avoid sticking out too far past the fender.

Of course, this is all speculation, and it should be measured and verified on an SRT-4 before actual production.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is our 15x9 version of the 4 lug design. The 5x100 design is going to be a 5 star. Just to give you guys an idea of the type of wheel it is.

·
Registered
11,924 Posts
cost?

wondering if it'll be a 1 or a 2 mallox bottle price tag. :rofl:

·
Registered
11,924 Posts
me to it would also be nice to find affordable skinnies but those rims will def look badass
as I've been involved in a couple threads about skinnies I can safely state that skinnies out back aren't going to gain you a hell of alot. now if you're one of those who's looking for every .01 second advantage (as in you make sure you take a DUMP just before lining up. :rofl:) then they're worth it. :D

of course having said that if the Exo guys want to make some skinnier wheels in a 15" diameter and they're relatively inexpensive that would probably go over well. there's tons of cheap and decently light consumer tires we could use to wrap around them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
as I've been involved in a couple threads about skinnies I can safely state that skinnies out back aren't going to gain you a hell of alot. now if you're one of those who's looking for every .01 second advantage (as in you make sure you take a DUMP just before lining up. :rofl:) then they're worth it. :D

of course having said that if the Exo guys want to make some skinnier wheels in a 15" diameter and they're relatively inexpensive that would probably go over well. there's tons of cheap and decently light consumer tires we could use to wrap around them.
lol i do take a dump before going to the track:lol: lol jk but im goin to max my 50 trim and see how low i can go so i feel like i should invest in some lol but i dont want to spray it at all so i def need some in my mind lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes a whole wheel setup all around is not for everyone. But some guys want to set their car up for that race setup for the weekend. So if there's a demand for skinnies, we can make it.
Our 3 piece forged wheels are on the higher end. These are not your average wheel for the budget consumer. We are offering this for the hardcore guys who want an actual race wheel in their desired width and backspacing. Thats the main thing that we can do with this 3 piece wheel.
I dont like to discuss actual prices since this is mainly a tech thread to get input on what you guys want out of a wheel and if there is a demand for it. If you want to ask about pricing stuff, just email us. I'm sure if we do manufacture it, we'll give you guys a good deal for the first ones getting them anyways.

·
Registered
330 Posts
15*8 in 35 offset. maybe even a 15x9 in a 28 ish offset for the high po guys. most of us here are running a 24 or 26x8-8.5 by 15 slick so you guys are the wheel guys...im here to spend money. lol

·
SRTforums Member, SRT of the Month
4,342 Posts
Just got through measuring my Motegi Traklite II wheels that are 15x7's.

The backspacing on them is 5 3/8". If you were to create a 15x8 rim with a maximum backspacing of 5 1/2", there should be no issues of spring perch clearance for those who want to run a 24.5 x 8.5 - 15 slick.

Hell, I'd be down for a 9" wide wheel, myself! But at that point, it would probably be best to run those with a set of coilovers, and have a backspace along the lines of 6 - 6 1/2" to avoid sticking out too far past the fender.

Of course, this is all speculation, and it should be measured and verified on an SRT-4 before actual production.
what chuck said!!!! 15x8 or 15x8.5 reasonable priced and make skinnies as well:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A 15x9 with a +28 offset, would come out similar to a 15x9 with a 5" backspace.
Drag wheels are measured in backspace so its a little different.

15x8 with +35 offset, almost measures to like a 5.5" backspace.

So based on the conversations here, it looks like that the cars have large backspacing to clear the suspension.

So a popular choice would be:
15x8 with 5" backspace
15x9 with 5" backspace

We can only go in 1" increments on the widths and the backspace but you can figure it out and do the spacer thing to compensate the few mm differences you would like your setup to be.

·
SRTforums Member, SRT of the Month
4,342 Posts
A 15x9 with a +28 offset, would come out similar to a 15x9 with a 5" backspace.
Drag wheels are measured in backspace so its a little different.

15x8 with +35 offset, almost measures to like a 5.5" backspace.

So based on the conversations here, it looks like that the cars have large backspacing to clear the suspension.

So a popular choice would be:
15x8 with 5" backspace
15x9 with 5" backspace

We can only go in 1" increments on the widths and the backspace but you can figure it out and do the spacer thing to compensate the few mm differences you would like your setup to be.
no one wants to run spacers man, get a local car with coilovers over there to take your measurements

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
With a 5" backspace, 24.5" and shorter slicks should have no problem clearing even the factory suspension/struts, regardless of whether the rim is 8" or 9" wide.

However, I would suggest measuring how far the wheel will sit past the fender lip on a 9" wide wheel before making the backspacing at 5" for that width rim. If it sits too far past the lip, we may want to consider going with a 6" backspace to compensate, and ensure that people are aware of the need to run coilovers with such a wheel. I would imagine most people running these wheels will be running coilovers, anyway!

- Chuck

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yes a whole wheel setup all around is not for everyone. But some guys want to set their car up for that race setup for the weekend. So if there's a demand for skinnies, we can make it.
Our 3 piece forged wheels are on the higher end. These are not your average wheel for the budget consumer. We are offering this for the hardcore guys who want an actual race wheel in their desired width and backspacing. Thats the main thing that we can do with this 3 piece wheel.
I dont like to discuss actual prices since this is mainly a tech thread to get input on what you guys want out of a wheel and if there is a demand for it. If you want to ask about pricing stuff, just email us. I'm sure if we do manufacture it, we'll give you guys a good deal for the first ones getting them anyways.
I doubt your going to sell many wheels then. Just not that many full on race cars out there that can justify the expense. 99% of the SRT-4 guys will buy rota slipstreams like I did and forget about. But good luck with the project. Awesome someone is willing to make a special order item.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Will! Good to see you expand your interest out here! I've purchased a few items from exospeed over the years, and always been happy with their service.

In my opinion, the 5 x100 bolt pattern will be very popular, since it also encompasses 1st gen Neons, all the fwd turbo MOPARS, Cavalier/Cobalt, and many Subaru models.
I could use a set of these wheels myself if they are ever produced.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts