Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took off my valve cover to powdercoat it tonight and I ripped the gasket, :oops: wow be VERY CARFULL it didn't take much. :shock:

Well I need to know if it is the same gasket on the 2.4 turbo and the 2.4 because nobody lists the turbo at all....

I would like to get it back on the road to night but if I have to I'll wait to get it from the dealer tomarow.. :?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dude, that sucks.

If you can't find one quickly, you can have the one from my wife's n/a PT Cruiser. She doesn't drive it anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll just get one from the dealer tomarow hopefully they have one or I might have to wait a few days.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Daytona,

I'm getting a powdercoated cover from ACBC Powdercoating, and they send a new gasket with it. But I was wondering if you could give me any tips on installing. Did you run into any other issues? Do the nuts need to be torqued down to a certain value? What is the proper procedure to follow to replace it?

I obviously haven't done this before, and I want to make sure I don't screw up.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Re: **WOOPS** NEED Help!!!!!

daytonagts said:
I just took off my valve cover to powdercoat it tonight and I ripped the gasket, :oops: wow be VERY CARFULL it didn't take much. :shock:

Well I need to know if it is the same gasket on the 2.4 turbo and the 2.4 because nobody lists the turbo at all....

I would like to get it back on the road to night but if I have to I'll wait to get it from the dealer tomarow.. :?
What material is the gasket made of?

This may be a important factor for increasing the boost level - changing to copper o-ring gaskets.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Re: **WOOPS** NEED Help!!!!!

hemidakota said:
daytonagts said:

What material is the gasket made of?

This may be a important factor for increasing the boost level - changing to copper o-ring gaskets.
Dont u mean the head gasket there hemi??

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Thanks for correcting me.

Bahahaaa. Still have that nagging single line of thought from previous turbo model cars and the trouble with oem head gaskets.

However, I am still concern with the material used with valve covers in leaking oil from either turbo or high-compression engines.

The valve cover gasket, is it paper element of rubber material?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gsket is made of a silicon or rubber.

Just a warning the gasket is ONLY availible from the dealer and at discount is $55 retail is like $86 bucks.

He is sending a gasket and the price is only like $50? for the Valve cover coated and and gasket???

I would question the type of gasket and or if he is doing any prep to the cover before coating it :?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
If you powder coat your VC you can reuse the gasket being that its still new and not brittle. IF you wait to long you will have to get a new one. YOu will need some black RTV so you can apply on the corners. YOu will see it on the gasket when you remove it. just add some more.

Dont forget the round gaskets that go around the spark plug holes. I leared the hard way that they where there. :)

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hemidakota said:
I am sure he will but it would be interesting to find out if otherwise.

Is this the total price to powder coat the valve cover with a gasket(50.00 dollars)?
If I remember right it is about $50.

I have about 2 hours into this Job and I haven't powdercoated it yet.

This is the process for powder coating the valve cover:
Clean the oil off with detergent, dry good. Mask with rubber tape and trip up the masking like around the letters. mask off anyting you don't want blasted. Blast with glass bead (or simular media) unmask. Remask with fiberglass tape and aluminium foil, trip tape again. Put in oven at 425 for 20 min. take out powdercoat and put back in oven for 20 min. Let cool off and unmask.

I'm also going to polish the letters because they have nice circular machine marks in them right now.

Tis is just for info only. I'm not trying to say tis guy doesn't do a good job. But if he does everything to good standards and sells the cover and gaket for about $50 thats a Killer deal for the time and work it takes. I'd say Go for it, I couldn't do it any cheaper.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm buying one of his core valve covers, which is brand new and comes with a new oil cap, gasket, and PCV valve. My cost, since this isn't a group buy, is $60. He said it takes him about a week. I'm expecting good work. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anyone needing any info on these valve covers or gaskets/parts included, feel free to ask me. I'm not on the powdercoating end, but I am the one supplying Shane with the new valve covers. And just as a side note, let me tell you that Shane is making you guys a hell of a deal on these powdercoatings being I know what he's paying for the covers. :) Again, feel free to message me anytime with questions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts