Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

With the cold and rainy weather expected to last all week here in Calgary, I have been giving the up coming winter a lot more thought.

I currently have a set of Winter steelies and tires off my 2k1 R/T but when I put them close to the car to check how the stack up for size they are no where close. They are almost a good 1.5 inches shorter that the stock wheel/tire. Plus they are 14 inch steelies... I don't think I have ever heard of a wheel that small fitting on an SRT-4.

So I need to get a new set of wheels & tires. The consensus on here seems to be that 15 inch wheels are the smallest that will fit, and that those off a PT Cruiser will be no problem.

Where is the best place (in Canada) to get the PT Steelies? Also what size winter tire for 15 inch steel wheels is closest to stock diameter? I need advice on what (if I can't get PT Steelies for a good price) the critical measurements are for wheels to clear the brakes? (Offset etc.)

Any input?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
436 Posts
1. goto wreckers
2. goto crappy tire, like i did, 4 rims and snow tires under $700

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
punch,

what kinda rims (steel..?) and tires did you get from crappy for that price...?
thanks....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Or keep the precious one out of the snow, and buy a winter truck.

Just did that yesterday. Figured the money spent on some winter steelies, would be around the price I would pay for a truck plus a little more. So I decided to keep the srt snow free.

Even check Kal-Tire, they have some pretty good deals there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2nMotion said:
Or keep the precious one out of the snow, and buy a winter truck.

Just did that yesterday. Figured the money spent on some winter steelies, would be around the price I would pay for a truck plus a little more. So I decided to keep the srt snow free.

Even check Kal-Tire, they have some pretty good deals there.
What kinda truck did you buy for 700-1000$? Just curious...

Thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
qwxilvr said:
What kinda truck did you buy for 700-1000$? Just curious...

Thanks.
Well with my savings on gas/insurance I am using it to just do payments of ~$150/month. I am keeping fire/theft on the vehicle, and it still works out that I am saving money :lol:

Bought a 98 Ranger, short box, regular cab, 5 spd 130,000 kms for $5000

I thought it was a decent enough winter vehicle, and payments are stretched out as much as possible for the vehicle, so that they are cheap as possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
how did the srt handle in snow...i'm gona need this car in the winter to cart my a$$ to and from skool (penn state) and i live in jersey

·
Registered
133 Posts
"how did the srt handle in snow"

haha, it doesn't !

seriously, it's down right scary in the snow with the stock rubber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
shittttt that sucks i'm re-thinkin my trade in right now....00' ranger for 03 srt i need 2 drive in the snow thats the problem how bout 03 with diff. tires?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Es Arty For said:
shittttt that sucks i'm re-thinkin my trade in right now....00' ranger for 03 srt i need 2 drive in the snow thats the problem how bout 03 with diff. tires?
The SRT-4 comes with summer rubber only. If you live where you get snow, and you are gonna drive, you need to seriously look at winter tires. That is why I started this thread.

I figure that some steel wheels and 4 winter tires will end up costing me about 700-900 (canadian) depending on my choice of tires.

From what I have read elsewhere on the forums, the SRT-4 when outfitted with proper winter tires (not summer, and not all-season) performs well in the winter.

·
Registered
924 Posts
you can also fit VW rims on the car. My buddy has a set of Golf/Jetta rims that i am gonna throw on for the winter... PT rims will not fit the car without spacers, in order to clear the brake caliper; unless they are GT rims. But GT rims are 17" chrome, so you're back in the same boat...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
COP TZER said:
you can also fit VW rims on the car. My buddy has a set of Golf/Jetta rims that i am gonna throw on for the winter... PT rims will not fit the car without spacers, in order to clear the brake caliper; unless they are GT rims. But GT rims are 17" chrome, so you're back in the same boat...

so the 15' PT steelies won't clear the calipers like others have claimed..?
dang...maybe 17' high performance all seasons are in order then...for now... :eveilgrin

·
Registered
222 Posts
COP TZER said:
Not exactly right...I have 16" PT cruiser "steelies"with no spacers, from crappy tire with BFGoodrich winter slolams and there were no clearance issues. PT Cruiser, Cavalier and VW rims (steelies) all will fit. Do yourself a favour and use the search button. There are many threads from last winter with exactly the info you need.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do yourself a favour and use the search button. There are many threads from last winter with exactly the info you need.
:soap:
I am sorry if you feel that I haven't done enough "homework" before starting a thread like this, but I have done some research on this (using the search function and watching relevant threads as they appear), and wanted to start a thread for this coming winter (with some canadian specific content)...

Already at least one person who didn't know that the SRT-4's stock tires are not "all-season" have responded. If this thread helps that one person not wreck their car this winter trying to drive on the stock tires, then this thread hasn't been a waste of time/bandwidth.
:soap:

Anyways, this is what I have found so far...

I talked with Eastwood Dodge (forum sponsor) and they said that PT Cruiser 15 inch steel wheels fit. (Claimed to have them on his SRT-4) Eastwood said that the price was 117.43 (CAD shipped including tax) each. He said that he also offered a 16 inch non-mopar wheel for 50 $ each ( I am assuming plus shipping and tax)... They said almost all 16 inch wheels will work, while only a few 15 inch wheels will work. The issue is the front calipers, and they said that if it clears the fronts the rears will be no problem.

When asked about recommended sizes, Eastwood gave me 205/60/15 or 215/55/16.

I looked at a canadian online tire retailer and looked at their range of winter tires in those sizes... (www.tiretrends.com/index.php3)

I came up with a price range for a 15 inch combo (using Eastwood's mopar pt steelie) of ~200-265 depending on which tire you choose.

For a 16 inch combo (non-mopar wheel offered by Eastwood) I came up with a price range of ~175-250...

It certainly appears that the cost savings of going with a non-mopar 16 inch steel wheel more than makes up for the increased cost of the bigger 16 inch tire.

I will check out and see if my local crappy tire carries a steel wheel for the PT, and will post the results.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I need something clarified. By "PT Cruiser 15 inch steel wheels" you mean an actual rim and not simply a black steel rim that is meant to have hubcaps on it, correct?

I need to know this for sure because I have a set of 4 lined up from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
819 Posts
steelies are the shitty-ass "i'm too cheap to spring for proper wheels" wheels that you get with base model cars. That's what you want for winter. You shouldn't have a problem with clearance, but if you're worried, i'd go to the wreckers with a lug wrench and a jack so you can test fit one before you buy.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
AAAHHHHHH The joys of living in Arizona :) None of this bullshit to deal with, just have to deal with the bullshit people that migrate out here in the winter because they too pussified to deal with the heat here in the summer and the cold where they live in the winter.

Here yee Here yee !!!!

I DECLARE SNOWBIRD SEASON SHALL COMMENCE BEGINNING OCTOBER 1st !!!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wheels said:
I need something clarified. By "PT Cruiser 15 inch steel wheels" you mean an actual rim and not simply a black steel rim that is meant to have hubcaps on it, correct?

I need to know this for sure because I have a set of 4 lined up from a salvage yard.
A steel wheel, is a black or silver plain steel wheel. They usually have hub caps to cover their ugliness... (But hupcaps are an extra. The wheels don't usually come with them.)

If you can live with the ugliness (ot either the plain wheel, or of a hubcap) they are very useful. A steel wheel is generally preferable to an alloy wheel in winter, as they are stronger and are not as expensive. If you do have an accident and/or prang a curb you won't likely damage the wheel, and you can keep your "summer' alloys looking pretty by not exposing them to the salt/gravel used on the roads.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts