Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
woah.. you actually have to part with your srt4!!

crap, i thought it was bad , when i go on vacation for a week and dont drive it :(

good luck man :/

·
Registered
985 Posts
well my dad has a storage space that I can use sooooo I'm ccoooooool winter sucks

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
we dont really have a winter here in AZ its like 50 60 degrees all winter

·
Registered
89 Posts
I dont know what to tell you except to drive it at least like once a week...if not you will have issues and flat spots on your tires and such...I have found the quickest way to kill a car is to not drive it...had a 90 laser I bought for 600 bucks...drove it for two years...from cali to tx and all over...no issues...didnt drive it for two weeks...first time out after that timing belt broke,pcm fried(not sure why) and it was gonna be over a grand to fix....plus they couldnt tell what else was messed up until they got it running again...I wouldnt store for good...but just make sure you run it...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was kinda wondering the same thing as I will be putting my SRT away for the winter. Even though Iowa isn't as bad as Canada I'm sure, driving my R/T in winter was enough to almost put me in a mental institute. I would just put winter tires on, but I'd like to keep it away from the salt and sand. Is there anything that could be put on tires and belts to keep them from going stale over winter? But like Petar said, I can't imagine not driving it for 4months or so. I just went 2 days w/o driving it and I was getting antsy. Might have to turbocharge my Mazda so I don't go crazy

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, not sure if this is the right way but this is what I did last year and didn't have any problems with the spring start-up.

1. Wax the car
2. Garage it
3. Cover the car
4. Put car on blocks to save your tires
5. Fuel Stabilizer is very important. Add stabilizer from a quarter to half tank of gas. Make sure to run the car to get it through the system before storage.
6. Run your car about every 3 weeks for 15 - 20 mins. to keep oil in the top of the cylinders.

I think that is all that I did for mine.

Once spring comes uncover you car to find it clean and waxed :)

Oh, make sure to change your oil ASAP before taking her out again.

That's all I got. Have fun not driving your SRT, I know I won't. But, 4x4ing is fun too!

·
Registered
275 Posts
You should take it out and run it like someone else said at least once a week. Im on a 6 month suspension so its like my car is in storage lol. Idle doesnt really open it up and keep everything fresh so every Friday i take it out for a 5 minute cruise or so.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
chargincharles said:
Alright,
Being a restorer of old cars, I have learned over the years the right way and the wrong way to store cars for extended periods. Sometimes they are beaters awaiting resurrection, sometimes they are my summer cars, or winter cars, and sometime it is just my bike.
So-
Here are the basics.
1. Give the car exterior/interior a good, solid detailed cleaning/waxing, then take the car and completely fill the gas tank, full as you can get it.

2. Get 4 good jack stands. Jack the car up about 3-4 inches off the ground and put it on all 4 stands. support it by the bottom of the A-arms, front and rear. This loads the suspension, just like it is on the ground, but no worries about the the tires.
BONUS-
If you have the space, pull all 4 wheels/tires, and put them in large plastic trash bags. Store them in your basement FLAT on the ground. Keep them away from any source of heat, moisture or ozone (in other words, nowhere near the washer and dryer).
Get 4 large trash bags and zip-tie them over the rotor caliper assemblies, front and rear.

3. Pull the battery and store it with the tires/wheels. If you aren't storing the tires/wheels, then put the battery in your basement, but not directly on a concrete floor, place it on some plywood or a couple 2X4, not cardboard. Get a nice cheap battery tender (can be had for like $20) and hook it to the battery.

4. Get 4-5 one pound bags of dessicant. Can be had at most home improvement stores or good auto supply places. Eastwood also carries it. This is the stuff they package in electronics and warn you not to eat? Put those in the interior and in the trunk.

5. Go buy some Sta-Bil at the autoparts store, and add that to your FULL tank of gas. Then get some Marvel Mystery Oil, follow the directions, and add that to your oil, and dump some into each cylinder.
BONUS- drain the cooling system, not necessary, but will prevent the hoses from swelling and the radiator/water pump from corroding on the inside.
AND-
Eastwood makes some great dessicant plugs that fit into the spark plug holes, keeping corrosion from starting in the cylinders. Maybe overkill, but I will probably do it when winter comes.

6. If you store the car indoor, by a good QUALITY indoor cover, and cover the car. You get what you pay for with covers. Cheap=scratched to hell paint.
If you store the car outdoors, same advice, get a good QUALITY outdoor cover.

7. Finally, this is easy if you have it stored inside, tough if outside. Go buy some decent sized drip pans from a good auto supply store, and put them under the car. Check these ever so often to see if you have sprung a leak.

And that should do ya. Had a Charger I stored for about 2 years this way (in a garage) and it took very little to fire right back up again after the 'nap'. I also store my bike every year, sans wheels, with a ATV Jack/Stand, and a cover.

If you have any questions, let me know, but this is what has worked for me for years.

Thanks,
CC.
From a diffrent post...but good info...!

·
Registered
741 Posts
middlemiss said:
Just wondering if you guys can recommend the best way to put your srt4 away for the winter?? Im up in canada where we get a real winter..

Thanks

Joe
You don't have to do anything as long as you start the car one a week. This winter my SRT will be the second car we store for winter. Because of all the electronics, if I don't start the BMW at least 1 a month, it drains the battery. I do it one a week and let it warm up to normal operating temperature.

Percy

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
my winters get down to a blistering 60 degrees here.... Yeah yeah i know thats horibble... but i manage to survive.....and it may rain this year, so im completely confused as to what i should do.

oh well i guess i should just garage it.......

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn San Diego

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My experience with a "stored car" for winter (actually it was a neon 2000 at the time and I was using a crappy old civic for the winter) : The brakes (disks) corroded for some reason. That shortened their life cycle by half. They were probably "pitted". The car was in a heated garage and the humidity was normal. Donno what could have been done to prevent corrosion....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.