Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold), SRT of the Month
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the agp wga with the ptp spring. i spike 20lbs and hold 15 like most people. i want to hold more boost though. i still have the "stock" agp spring. i was wondering if i took the "stock" agp spring and cut it into 1/4s and then put it in with the ptp spring if it would hold more boost. i would start only using 1 section of the "stock" agp spring and contiue untill i hold the desire boost i reach. i would love to hold anywhere from 18-20lbs. i plan to try this once i get my new intake manifold gasket on.

i know some will say check for boost leaks. and i do have one which i believe i fixed. it was around the tps sensor. i want know untill i get my intake manifold back on, but i'm sure i got it.

what are your though on this?

nigel

·
Registered
835 Posts
wait, u spike 20 and hold 15 to redline???? that is what you want to be holding by redline, that is perfect. trust me dont change it...and i would turn your boost down to 18psi bec i doubt you have any fuel upgrades and your a/f is prob not safe

·
Banned
491 Posts
wait you have the agp wga?, i do too and this wga is adjutable, it adjust in the arm of it, there are 2 nuts on it losen the left one to adjust and then turn the rigth one towards the firewall to hold more pounds each complete turn is a pound, then when you are done remember to tight the left nut (not like the hulk, be gentle with it) i have mine set at 17psi, from what ive read the computer pulls timing once you go over 17psi so you migth want to keep an eye on your spike

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Well to be honest why are you so worried about holding more to redline? I am holding 15psi at 6000rpm and got in the 11's with it. I am sure there is something else you could be using your time on that is worth while. Worry about doing more red line stuff when you know ou have the most with what you currently have. Mess with suspension mess with shifting mess with boost leaks mess with shift points.

·
Registered
169 Posts
turbo wont flow enough to hold more then 15-16psi are redline. doesnt matter how much tension u have on the WGA. the turbo just wont do it. you'll just be creating a really big spike, and it will drop very fast back to 15psi as u get closer to redline. if u want more boost at redline, get a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Bleeder said:
turbo wont flow enough to hold more then 15-16psi are redline. doesnt matter how much tension u have on the WGA. the turbo just wont do it. you'll just be creating a really big spike, and it will drop very fast back to 15psi as u get closer to redline. if u want more boost at redline, get a bigger turbo.
+1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Bleeder said:
No kidding.

What most people are also failing to realize is that shifting at redline will probably make the car slower. I gained MPH and lowered ET shifting at 5500.

·
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm not worried about pulling timing. i have a mapclamp and safc, and the car is going to start seeing alot of 100 octane because i only drive it on the weekends now (for the most part).

the only reason i want to hold more boost is for more top end. i usually shift at 5800-6000. i plan on doing suspension stuff and other power mods, but this is something that i didn't think would be to hard. also when i race people they usually begin to catch u (if they do) in 4th because thats when are turbo goes into pussy mode. lol.

i do plan on going bigger turbo, but it will be a while. i would like to get some better times on the stock turbo first. just figured i would the stocker to the limits.

thanks for all the replies and for not flaming.

nigel

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Bleeder said:
As this guy said, the stock turbo (less being ported) will not flow more air at redline, it's just the way it is. get it ported or get a bigger turbo or just work on suspension and driving skill to go faster

·
Registered
360 Posts
its not that the stock turbo cant hold more boost at red line, its perfectly capable of holding 18-19 maybe even more (ive never tried) but wont be efficient at all. your egts will be much hier then desireable even though your a/f's will be fine. and the diffrence in power youll see wont justify all the crap you had to go through to get there. the most id recdomend holding on the stocker (un ported) id 16-17 at the very most i like 16. do it on a dyno youll see for your self its pointless. theres alot of other stuff to do that will make you faster like someone already said.

good luck

p.s if your gonna do it find a right way. dont start the dollar mod fad again.

·
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i plan on getting bigger turbo, eventually. i have mt et streets on the way now. i was just trying to make the most of what i had.

oh and i'm not trying to start the dollar fad. it was just a idea i had. i'd pay more, but im not gonna put money towards a upgraded stock turbo.

oh and i'd be perfectly happy holding 16-17 pounds at redline.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I RULE YOU! said:
its not that the stock turbo cant hold more boost at red line, its perfectly capable of holding 18-19 maybe even more (ive never tried) but wont be efficient at all. your egts will be much hier then desireable even though your a/f's will be fine. and the diffrence in power youll see wont justify all the crap you had to go through to get there. the most id recdomend holding on the stocker (un ported) id 16-17 at the very most i like 16. do it on a dyno youll see for your self its pointless. theres alot of other stuff to do that will make you faster like someone already said.

good luck

p.s if your gonna do it find a right way. dont start the dollar mod fad again.
As it's a forum, i'd have to disagree...I bet if you were to weld the waste gate shut the most boost you would see on the stock turbo nearing redline would be around 16psi. No matter what I set the initial spike on my wga at, 16, 18, 20, 22+, it has never held more than 16psi to redline. It's the engine sucking in more air and the turbo is just not capable of pushing any more. That's why the torque curve drops off and people can get on a dyno spiking 22psi and get torque numbers in the upper 300's and yet barely break into the 300 whp as the torque falls off. These are just my thoughts on this whole deal and i could be way off..

·
Banned
491 Posts
acancelledczech said:
As it's a forum, i'd have to disagree...I bet if you were to weld the waste gate shut the most boost you would see on the stock turbo nearing redline would be around 16psi. No matter what I set the initial spike on my wga at, 16, 18, 20, 22+, it has never held more than 16psi to redline. It's the engine sucking in more air and the turbo is just not capable of pushing any more. That's why the torque curve drops off and people can get on a dyno spiking 22psi and get torque numbers in the upper 300's and yet barely break into the 300 whp as the torque falls off. These are just my thoughts on this whole deal and i could be way off..

it doesnt hold because of the spring inside the wate gate actuator (i believe), the stronger/stiffer the spring the more boost it can hold

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
akumuSRT4_03black said:
it doesnt hold because of the spring inside the wate gate actuator (i believe), the stronger/stiffer the spring the more boost it can hold
If my wga holds the initial boost to 22+psi, then why wouldn't it hold that all the way? it's 22+psi going through that little vacuum tube and that's what it takes to overcome the spring pressure and open the waste gate. How would lose spring tension as the rpm's rose? I don't think it would. I think it's the engine sucking in the extra air quickier and quick as the engine speeds up and the turbo itself can't keep up.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
it doesn't lose spring tension, the exhaust gases are under so much pressure from being fed through that tiny little turbo, that they force their way past the wastegate and around the turbo. if you get the ptp spring, it might hold a bit more boost. a couple psi, maybe. but if you hooked up an egt gauge to the stock manifold and watched what happened when you stomp on it, you'd probably want to turn the boost down. in 3rd gear, at 3k, i stomped on the gas and went from 1250 to 1550 in a matter of seconds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts