Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing the fuel pump rewire, but I want to mount the relay in the engine bay and wanted some opinions on the setup before I did it...

Mount the relay. Run 10g wire from alternator post to relay. Ground the relay somewhere in engine bay. Then run a wire from the relay to the PDC to the fuel pump power wire. Then run a 10g wire back to the fuel pump from the relay and cut the power wire at the connector and connect the 10g wire to the 18g wire. Then remove the long piece of 18g wire altogether (obviously would have to cut it at the pdc also).

Does that sound like it would work fine? I only have 2 concerns.

1) How much of a pain would it be to go from 10g to 18g?
2) Where to put the inline fuse? I know you want one coming off the alternator, but wouldn't you also want to put one on the wire going all the way back to the pump also?

Let me know whatcha think.

·
SRTForums Member, 2011 Calendar Car
325 Posts
Thinking about doing the fuel pump rewire, but I want to mount the relay in the engine bay and wanted some opinions on the setup before I did it...

Mount the relay. Run 10g wire from alternator post to relay. Ground the relay somewhere in engine bay. Then run a wire from the relay to the PDC to the fuel pump power wire. Then run a 10g wire back to the fuel pump from the relay and cut the power wire at the connector and connect the 10g wire to the 18g wire. Then remove the long piece of 18g wire altogether (obviously would have to cut it at the pdc also).

Does that sound like it would work fine? I only have 2 concerns.

1) How much of a pain would it be to go from 10g to 18g?
2) Where to put the inline fuse? I know you want one coming off the alternator, but wouldn't you also want to put one on the wire going all the way back to the pump also?

Let me know whatcha think.
Diagram?? :eeeek:

I cannot picture how you want it, but assuming a standard setup a single fuse close to the alternator terminal is fine. Putting another one after the relay is just redundant

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diagram?? :eeeek:

I cannot picture how you want it, but assuming a standard setup a single fuse close to the alternator terminal is fine. Putting another one after the relay is just redundant
It's pretty much the same as a standard setup except I would tap into the green/white at the PDC instead of back at the fuel pump connector. Then run the 10g wire back to the pump cit the green/white wire and wire it directly to the pump....I'll c if I can do a diagram

·
SRTForums Member, 2011 Calendar Car
325 Posts

Wire going from alt to 30 is 10g, ground is 10g, and fuel pump connector to 87 is 10g, and 86 to PDC is 16g.
Just keep that fuse reasonably close to the alternator and you should be set!

You don't need 10ga for the ground attached to 85 though. It should only be flowing approx 100mA IIRC, so lighter wire will be fine. One thing to keep in mind is make sure your grounding for your pump is good (Ideally 10ga).

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just do the rewire the normal way. I can only assume u want to put the relay in the bay to protect from the elements and ease of changing? If ur worried about those two issues just put the relay in the trunk or behind the carpet on the rear pass side. U don't want to remove the factory wire either, that makes it a pain to return it to normal. Honestly u should just do the rewire ptp style and make sure to use a fuse at the alternator. I made my rewire like ptp's, I will post the link to the how to I made if u want it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
alittletippy
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing