Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 05 srt4 mods:
Predator tuner
3in catted full exhaust
Stock turbo
Everything else is pretty much stock

I've searched and come up blank about this.
I learned the car should be around 18 max for a stock turbo setup with mods. But I'm pushing 21psi in 3rd and 24psi in 4th. So I research more into it and found that the guy before me put a random spring in the wastegate actuator. Guessing to hold it closed to build more boost. Which seems to be bad for the motor etc.

My question is should I take the spring off and see what happens and changes or just buy a new wastegate. Looking at a FM wastegate due to drivability with it and no PTB like a agp.

I know I will probly have to put it back to stock tune if replace it with a FM wastegate. Let it relearn then change the tune to 93.

If I'm wrong about anything lmk please and thank you. Any insight it greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Search for "spring mod" on here.... VERY OG mod... from back in the day before handheld tuners and good wastegate replacements. It just adds more preload to the wastegate to bump the boost up, like you thought. take it off. whoever your tuner is should be able to increase the boost with the predator to whatever is desired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that's what I was thinking. So just take it off and see if it's still good? Or am I better in the long run to buy an fm wastegate?

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
i personally would just take it off if you think its causing any issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surprized me when researching it and seeing it on oldddd threads. I just told it off and it builds boost better. It was over boosting 20psi+. Hitting around 15psi now and 18psi in 4th feels alot better.

Now trying to figure out if going to a FM wastegate is worth it or not.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
We used to get real creative with springs and turn-buckles hooked from the wastegate arm to the battery tray... adjustable spring mod! haha....

with what's available today with advances in PCM controlled boost, i wouldn't waste my time/money on an aftermarket wastegate unless there was something wrong with my stock one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts