Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Its been hot over here in San Jose CA lately probly around high 90's - low 100's and I have noticed before my boost holding at 21-22 psi (sometimes).... Dont know if thats safe, but all i have for boost upgrades is s2 w/o toys ~ (k&n cai, mopar cat back w/ 3 in. dp & hi-flo cat....)-dont know if this affects boost
-but now its gotten colder here, like in the 60's, and low 60's at night, and i just recently raced a srt-4 with s1, agp wastegate, full exhaust, no cat, intake, and boost controller... (he had 1 passanger, I had none)
-I boosted at 16 psi -17 psi and i pulled on him like one crazy mofo
--I Do notice I boost a whole lot higher if i were to rev out one gear and then move to next.... (like s2 knows im trying to race or something)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have stage 2 without toys also and have noticed boost changes also. However, my boost never has gont to 21-22 psi. There was one day when it was hot and I had been playing with an electronic boost controller. When I put everything back to stock(stage 2 pcm controlling boost).. I was hitting 20psi. But that lasted one day.

I've noticed if I run the car hard through the gears boost will drop off a lot, but the car pulls hard. One thing I like about stage 2 is if you hammer it in 3rd, hit 4th gear boost will hit 16psi, the CLIMB to 17-18 towards redline, then drop off. The car pull HARD.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
stage 2 computers adjust boost levels just like stage 0 or 1. if you can make the same power at a lower boost level that's what the computer will run. colder weather means lower boost levels.

it is not normal to be seeing 21-22 psi on stage 2. are you sure that you're boost guage isn't screwy?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
So if it's cold and and the computer dials the boost down a little cause it can makes as much power (I understand that part) could I just go in and turn the boost up a few more pounds to make a little extra power? Right now I only have an AGP WGA, but S2 is on the way. I hear that S2 runs rich, if thats the case then you should be able to turn up the boost higher pretty safely, correct?

·
Registered
998 Posts
what would you use? an Electronic boost controller?

·
Registered
770 Posts
warriorbob said:
the comp sees the cooler more efficient air and turns the boost back to keep everything in safe limits. in hotter weather the air is crummy so the comp compensates and gives more boost..........in nice cool dense air the comp sees how efficiently everything is working and turns the boost down. but the performance of the car does not change eventhough the boost level changes thats the wonderful world of computers working for us in warm weather i was boosting around 19 to 21 psi in the 50 degree weather the other night 16 to 18 psi

I agree with you warrior Bob, to an extent. These cars will still see some improvement in colder temps. My car is noticeably faster in cooler weather, but I have humidity to deal with in Texas as well.

·
Registered
881 Posts
PSI Chick said:
stage 2 computers adjust boost levels just like stage 0 or 1. if you can make the same power at a lower boost level that's what the computer will run. colder weather means lower boost levels.

it is not normal to be seeing 21-22 psi on stage 2. are you sure that you're boost guage isn't screwy?

You guys need to stop and think about this. Do you really think the computer has a torque target?

The SRT's computer runs off of the amount of air flow it is seeing, but it doesn't have a Mass Air Flow sensor so it bases the air flow off of boost, rpm, and temperature. Warm air is thinner and so it ups the boost to increase the air flow to its target. Cooler air is thicker so it drops the boost down because it doesnt take as much air to meet the target. Hopefully this helps you understand why the boost changes with weather.

·
Registered
881 Posts
PSI Chick said:
and i gave the cliffnotes version of that. and if these people would bother to search or read the faq sections they would know it too. it's no secret, i just don't feel like typing it ten times a day.

Well I apologize then. It just seemed that when I read your post I got the impression that you thought boost was based on the the HP/TQ that the motor was making.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Clint Burleigh said:
Well I apologize then. It just seemed that when I read your post I got the impression that you thought boost was based on the the HP/TQ that the motor was making.
i sometimes give a more simplified answer than i should, and this was one of those cases. it just kinda gets old repeating the same thing over and over when the knowedge is out there if people looked for it. hey, maybe you can take over the job of explaining it to the newbies for a while! :lol:

·
Registered
881 Posts
PSI Chick said:
i sometimes give a more simplified answer than i should, and this was one of those cases. it just kinda gets old repeating the same thing over and over when the knowedge is out there if people looked for it. hey, maybe you can take over the job of explaining it to the newbies for a while! :lol:
nm, you can keep the job. I will just stand behind you and laugh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.