Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People want this car for all kinds of reasons from straight line acceleration - possibly drag racing, handling abilities - possibly road/rally type racing, good looks - cruisin the strip, hobby - something to mod, or something to preserve - collector.

Personally, I want it for it's straight line acceleration!:twisted:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want it to beat everyone!

No just kidding.
I will probably get back into autocrossing and take it to a track day or two in Topeka.
Rob

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Although I am not getting one, the reason I would want one is to have a warrantied turbo car. But since I am a broke college kid I'll have to settle for building my turbo car without a manufacturer warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To beat up on Imports with trumpet mufflers and erector set spoilers (no offense to Wrex guys, unless you put on a coffeecan muffler and erector set spoiler). I was contemplating taking off all the SRT badging and putting an SXT spoiler on, piss off those guys even more. Quick funny story, the most pissed off I've ever seen anyone who lost a race was when I beat an Eminem clone in a fox body Mustang 5.0 with my Lancer, he had all the horsepower adder stickers (flowmaster, NOS, etc...). I think what twisted him the most was that his bleached blonde little girlfriend in the passenger seat was laughing her ass off! He pulled up to me at the next stoplight and was swearing and motioning for me to get out of my car, all the while his girlfriend is turning red she's laughing so hard. LONG LIVE THE SLEEPERS!!!

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Straight line acceleration. Diving into a corner and coming out of it like you've got jato units strapped on :D Just enjoying being in a car that is capable of doing almost anything you ask of it 8) Making my kids say "Wahoooo" as the boost climbs. No autocross, no dragstrip. Taking it up to Mass so my 48 year old brother (who started me loving speed) can freak out. I took him for a ride in my GLHS, which made him call it a "death machine" :twisted:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I was looking for an affordable, nice looking car that was faster than what I have now. Being able to smoke some of those ricers with the giant mufflers is a bonus. I also like the fact that everyone won't be driving one. The last two car purchases were more for affordablity and I sacrificed the speed and sportiness that I can get in the SRT 4.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've had my Neon for almost two years now and I've always thought it was a great little car that was capable of more. Already a good handling car, has a modest amount of zip to it, etc. The SRT-4 should be the realization of what is possible with this platform.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Can you say torque? Cause the SRT can :)

Looks nice, real fast, pulls hard, corners like mad, can be drivin at below 4k happily, 70,000 mile warrenty and it's less than 20k.

And it's practical enough for everyday use.....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Lancer172 said:
To beat up on Imports with trumpet mufflers and erector set spoilers (no offense to Wrex guys, unless you put on a coffeecan muffler and erector set spoiler). I was contemplating taking off all the SRT badging and putting an SXT spoiler on, piss off those guys even more. Quick funny story, the most pissed off I've ever seen anyone who lost a race was when I beat an Eminem clone in a fox body Mustang 5.0 with my Lancer, he had all the horsepower adder stickers (flowmaster, NOS, etc...). I think what twisted him the most was that his bleached blonde little girlfriend in the passenger seat was laughing her ass off! He pulled up to me at the next stoplight and was swearing and motioning for me to get out of my car, all the while his girlfriend is turning red she's laughing so hard. LONG LIVE THE SLEEPERS!!!
What mods do have you done to your Lancer? Don't take this the wrong way, but I am a bit skeptical that your Lancer beat a 5.0, because Lancers are.....whats the diplomatic way to say this....uhh slow. Sure it wasn't a 4 banger? Even a convertible AOD 5.0 should be able to beat a Lancer quite easily, which is why I am curious as to what mods you have.

-faast

·
Registered
6 Posts
Slow50H,
quick debrif on my Lancer, started life as a 87 (only year) Shelby Lancer #172/800, 1 of 400 with a five speed, currently it has a full turbo II longblock (with the good rods and pistons), stock Garrett T-II unit, 2.5 in exh (no cat or muffler) Shelby stage II logic module (15psi instead of 10), direct connection camshaft, MP plug wires, centerforce dual friction clutch, Dunlop A2 tires. I have always been able to beat stock 5 litre mustangs with this set up, the newer 4.6 mod motor mustangs pose quite a bit more challenge, I have been able to stay with my buddies '02 when I get a really good launch, but I have to beat the shit out of my car to do it. For all who want to see the coolest turbo dodge sleeper, check out Gary Donovan's "relentless" www.thedodgegarage.com check out "the reliant"

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Lancer172 said:
Slow50H,
quick debrif on my Lancer, started life as a 87 (only year) Shelby Lancer #172/800, 1 of 400 with a five speed, currently it has a full turbo II longblock (with the good rods and pistons), stock Garrett T-II unit, 2.5 in exh (no cat or muffler) Shelby stage II logic module (15psi instead of 10), direct connection camshaft, MP plug wires, centerforce dual friction clutch, Dunlop A2 tires. I have always been able to beat stock 5 litre mustangs with this set up, the newer 4.6 mod motor mustangs pose quite a bit more challenge, I have been able to stay with my buddies '02 when I get a really good launch, but I have to beat the shit out of my car to do it. For all who want to see the coolest turbo dodge sleeper, check out Gary Donovan's "relentless" www.thedodgegarage.com check out "the reliant"
Maybe he mistook your car for a Mitsu Lancer ;)

Love Gary's site its a great reference and inspiration. BTW here is a pic of my grocery getter, just waiting for my tax return and then the turbo madness will begin :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
i think Slow5OH thought you had a mitsubishi lancer. :wink: not a dodge lancer.

edit: yeah, what he ^ said!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
srt4

I want it because if u ever owned a neon u dont understand the trial's and tribulations u go through , person after person mocking u cause u have a neon but my day will come now!! :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I'm getting one to replace my ACR (I love sleepers too), which is going to my son.

I agree with Lancer, I am planning on trading someone with an SXT my trunk lid so I can get the lower spoiler. Maybe even a spoilerless version ?

At least it will look stock from the back (which is hopefully what most people will see )

Maybe some autocrosses, a little drag strip time, and a couple of road courses.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My first car was a 87 GLHS loved it alot but was pretty beat body wise when I bought it so after that the Neon was my choice now along comes the SRT-4 best of both worlds. It will be used for Solo racing and some drag racing other then that enjoy the eveyday power and handling. Pretty much the same that I do with my Neon now but go faster and maybe handle better. I will keep the body alone because I will need the spoiler on and love the body style.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My first car was a 87 GLHS loved it alot but was pretty beat body wise when I bought it so after that the Neon was my choice now along comes the SRT-4 best of both worlds. It will be used for Solo racing and some drag racing other then that enjoy the eveyday power and handling. Pretty much the same that I do with my Neon now but go faster and maybe handle better. I will keep the body alone because I will need the spoiler on and love the body style.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why get one?

I currently drive a 1992 Dodge Shadow ES with a 3.0L V6 and a five speed. Although the car has 347000km (about 220000 miles) on it, it is still quite fast. I had a '95 DOHC Neon Sport, red with leather, and it was really fun to drive also, if not quite as fast as the Shadow. I also had a '88 5.0L notchbavk Mustang back in '88. It was quick, unique, and fun to drive also.
I like having cars that other people don't have, so the SRT 4 fits the bill. Plus, it is really fast and really a sleeper!! And a 7 year 115000km warranty?! Who could want more?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah Mitsu Lancer was what I was thinking....my bad, nice car...LOL

-faast

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I forgot that Dodge made a Lancer, my grandparents even owned one! Haha, i tend to be moronic at times...

I see this car as something everyone can associate with only me cause it's unique. I love the attention I get when I pull up next to someone, especially at night when I have the underbody lights on. I'd turn it into a hobby and add a little bit here and there, but being careful not to make it ricey. The power is plenty enough to have fun driving it around daily, but not too powerful where it's (or I'm) dangerous around other people :twisted: . I might take it to the drag strip every once and a while to really show off it's awesome torque, but I'd never enter it in an autox, just cause it would be my go-around. Maybe I'll even enter it to a car show or two... prove once and for all that there is no such thing as "just a Neon".

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Slow5OH said:
Yeah Mitsu Lancer was what I was thinking....my bad, nice car...LOL

-faast
That's what I thought when I first read the post.

I want this car because it has a lot from the factory and it is all warrentied. I used to have a 1997 Dodge Neon Sport with the 2.0L DOHC engine. I was in the process of modding it when a former JACKASS neighbor decided that he was going to vandelize it. He vandelized the car 3 TIMES before he was caught by the police. He put a big dent in my babies front fender and he spray painted the car TWICE with racial slurs! He painted "WOP" on one side of the car and "DEIGO" along the other side. (painted samething 2x)
The car was a really fun car to drive and it caught MANY people by surprise. All I had done to it was 2.5" cat-back exhaust (dual outlet), Iceman, & racing plugs and wires. I also put 16" aluminium racing wheels on it, and that's it. Best 1/4 run the car had was 15.8 and I cant remember the trap, but something like 89 mph.
I can't wait to pull up to a ricer or a SLO5.0 and cream them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts