Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chatting with a friend who's a Subaru engineer and we were talking about how a lot of people are clamoring for more hp from the STi, yet most are unable to handle the car in it's present form. So I was wondering why all you guys who are saying you want 300 WHP or whatever feel the need for more power? You want to be the fastest car around, drag race, street race? This isn't directed at any one person, just in general. Nor is it meant to be an insult to anyone, just curious. Please no stupid answers like you can never have too much power, I want to know real reasons.

JC
-Happy with his N/A 2.5l

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
JC, Personally I want more power because I want to be able to line up against anything and have a fighting chance to whip ass. That is why I chose an EBC as my first mod. I somewhat have control of the power I want to create. For example, yesterday, my weather was terrible (rain/snow mix) so I didn't really want to boost so I set my controller at 5psi. Now, on good day, and doin' some hot roddin', will open it up all the way and create as much power as the car has. The more it has, the faster I go!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Serious enthuisiasts need power, why limit it? I understand not eveyone in the general public can handle it. Then again how many people, will be able to afford the STI with the gazzilion dollar markup.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drizze99 - If all you wanted was straight line why didn't you buy a Camaro or Mustang? It's a good reason though. :)

Vanilla_Coke - What makes an enthusiast able to handle it better than anyone else? I think there are a lot of people who just buy a car because they want to go fast and dump more money into it to make it even faster. This doesn't mean they are a good driver or able to handle the power.

Do any of you guys auto-x or do track days, been to driving schools?

JC

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I want more HP because, well, HP is cool. But mostly, I plan on dragracing it here and there, because my roommate is buying a lightning next year, and because, well, HP is cool...

I didn't buy a firebird or mustang because I can't get a new firebird with a warrenty, and because in my price range, the mustang is not faster than the SRT. Besides, firebirds and mustangs are like butts, everybodys got one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got a couple of answers to this one.

The first for me personally is that there are few things that can bring a grin to your face like being pressed back against your seats for ten seconds straight.

I think we all have some competitive nature in us which causes that whole, we must be able to smoke the guy next to us philosophy.

I don't know if there is such a thing as too much power. If there is too much power I believe that simply means you don't have enough control. If you balance your upgrades and you know how to drive your car. Really drive it, close to the limit, you should be fine. You do of course have to change your driving style to suit the conditions.

I don't think the power is all about size complexes, machismo, or any other stereotypical Tim Allen personalities. There is some of that to it, but I think that when all is said and done we build up our cars for ourselves. How many times have you been out just to drive, by yourself, no one to race. Just you, the car, and a road. It's great. (especially on mountain roads)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
AWD OWNZ U said:
drizze99 - If all you wanted was straight line why didn't you buy a Camaro or Mustang? It's a good reason though. :)

Vanilla_Coke - What makes an enthusiast able to handle it better than anyone else? I think there are a lot of people who just buy a car because they want to go fast and dump more money into it to make it even faster. This doesn't mean they are a good driver or able to handle the power.

Do any of you guys auto-x or do track days, been to driving schools?

JC
I never said they were better drivers, however most I know around hear do auto X ;) I will be Auto X'ing and competing in NASA plus some drag events ;)

But hey, the WRX comes with an SCCA membership.....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Being an enthusiast doesn't mean anything in terms of driving ability. I know plenty of enthusiasts who can't drive for shit but they still love cars. Me, well I'd love to have more power so I can safely pass someone on the highway. The 2.2L I have now is a torquely little motor but then again the Legacy is a pig. I'd rather have an exceptionally handling car with a moderate amount of power than a car with an insane amount of power but handles like poo. It's all your priorities I guess.

-faast

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The SRT handling ability is right up there with its straight line perfomance IMO.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright how about another question. What makes you think you can handle more horsepower?

JC

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
JC, buying a Camaro or Mustang is just too easy. Right of the box you have a pretty quick car. I love the challenge of making a 4 banger scream!! I want to be able to be faster and out handle them. NO, I don't want just straight line speed, that's just to boring to me. Handling is also very important. What's the use of having all that power and not be able to go on the twisties? This is why an upgraded suspension and an LSD are on my list along with horsepower. I want to slowly develop my car into a beast. All my money is NOT going to go into POWER first. I am going to balance between Power and Handling. IMO, I think PVO did a GREAT job of giving us a great platform to start with. Now, I just need to make the car my own.

As far as driving, well I have no other experience other than driving a car/truck for 13 years AND most importantly, I can drive the hell out of Gran Turismo!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I just found out that a place near me holds auto-x events along with a driving class. I am going to look into it as well. You can never have enuff skill when it comes to driving and like someone already said, power without skillz is dangerous!! I like to think of myself as a student to tuning world, there's always something to learn!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
my answers:

I'm a dodge fan, dad worked for chrysler for 30 years, so a hot rod neon is right up my alley. I currently (well no longer as soon as the title gets here so i can hand it over to the new owner) own a 2000 and was looking to make it faster, however the SRT came along.

I also like the feeling of speed. I've never really raced anyone, I'm a "enjoy speed for my own use" kinda person, but i wont deny a civic or whatever else an ass-whooping if needed :)

I also plan to start taking it to the strip :)

those are my reasons.

·
Registered
160 Posts
AWD OWNZ U said:
Alright how about another question. What makes you think you can handle more horsepower?

JC
Because riding a 1.2 liter bike makes driving a car seem effortless.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Who sez we are all going after power first? My car is at JIC-Magic having a full coilover suspension system put in. (well, I am getting a 3" exhaust too, but thats not the point.) Next step is a limited slip. I drag race, auto-x, and am looking at road racing, but from my experience the SRT cant put the power it has to the ground. After I can use what I have, well, then a stage 2 or 3 will be added. But everyone here likes to modify their car, and adding HP is somthing that you can do that you notice as soon as your done. Its tangible. Of course, handleing is tangible too, when you blast off a 35mph offramp at 90. . .

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
AWD OWNZ U...I have to respond to several of the questions you asked.

Personally, I do have auto-x experience(since 1972), and have been to several driving schools. These were required before racing with the SCCA in formula cars.

The question of "why more power" has been asked since the Model T came out, and probably before. There will always be a group of people who like to get more out of any given device than the designers did. You could even extend that same thought to horse or dog racing for that matter.

As far as the ability to handle it, I have to agree that there are those who will be able to and those who won't. There's a lot of people I wouldn't even give a bicycle to, that have drivers licenses. There's also a lot of people that have excellent driving skills, but will never have the opportunity to use them on a track.

For myself, I'd love to have a street car with the same power to weight ratio my formula car had.

As always, these are my personal opinions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
RaptorRed
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing