Dodge SRT Forum banner

What is your WHP to turn the 26x8.5x15 slicks

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making a poll to help others here choose the right tire before going to these slicks.

If you are under the 400-450whp the 24.5x8.5x15 might be your best bet.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
NIVO88T said:
I have too agree with you on that one! I mean you can certainly use the 26 at that level but I really do not think there is any performance advantage to it when you can cut 1.7 or better 60 foots on the 24.5 at that power level :thumbsup:

Mike

·
Registered
987 Posts
how do you know when they are too big?? also dont they make the gearing longer so to speak....i think the car could use a slightly longer final drive....especially first gear.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
No question that 26 by 8.5 is too big for 90 percent of the SRT-4 apps. I would go with the 24.5 by 8.2. If your spinning the slick you need to work on your burnout or your track is not prepped correctly. When I was running mustangs in the late 80s the 26 x 8.5 netted me 1.5 shorts at 11 flat so that size is very capable at about 11 psi. Its just too tall for the SRT. You will lose 3-5 mph if you arent running in the 400 whp range or higher.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
BlackDragon said:
hmmmm, might be the cause for our low traps. even though we 60' in the 1.7-1.8 range...

might have to experiment next season...
my thoughts exactly with my car. 112.xx mph trap with stage 3 i was expecting 114 or so. Next season I'm going to try 24.5 or maybe 23 if I can find them.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Turbo Jeff said:
my thoughts exactly with my car. 112.xx mph trap with stage 3 i was expecting 114 or so. Next season I'm going to try 24.5 or maybe 23 if I can find them.
I think a 23 is going to be too small, even on a stock car the 24.5's seem to be the best match in regards to traction and gearing.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I have 24.5/8.5/15 ordered 26 and everyone recommended a 24.5 so I went with that, I talked to the guy from M&H tires and he said a stock car is ok with 23, but modded should go with 24.5, and now i have them sitting in my room waiting for the rims to come.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
NIVO88T said:
Making a poll to help others here choose the right tire before going to these slicks.

Yes this is true, their is that fine line going from the M&H 8.5/24.5-15 to the 26" tall. What I see is that once you hit that 450whp to the 470whp and you have the set up down to a T, it's time to get the 26" Tall Slick. This is info that the racers give me on the phone. I hope this helps, and DO NOT forget your SRT DISCOUNT GUY'S for the slicks. :thumbsup:

Happy New Year everybody and be SAFE.

[email protected]&H

www.mandhtires.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
addictedtosin said:
No question that 26 by 8.5 is too big for 90 percent of the SRT-4 apps. I would go with the 24.5 by 8.2. If your spinning the slick you need to work on your burnout or your track is not prepped correctly. When I was running mustangs in the late 80s the 26 x 8.5 netted me 1.5 shorts at 11 flat so that size is very capable at about 11 psi. Its just too tall for the SRT. You will lose 3-5 mph if you arent running in the 400 whp range or higher.
Now a taller tire is almost equivalent to a taller gear. Forced induction cars love tall gears, as it gives them more work to do, thus increasing the MPH at the trap. I've seen this myself. Are you suggesting that the "sweet spot" for the srt happens better with the 24.5? I could almost go for that, but I think with a properly tuned S3 car, the 26 would add MPH, but possibly slow down the short time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
so with the 24.5 inch tall slicks are you having to shift to 5th gear? i have run my car with the stock tires adn i ran a 114mph i'm in serious need of slicks but don't want to have to go to 5th or go so small that i will over power them i'm rihgt aroud the 400 hp mark.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'd like to know this also?X2.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts