Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge Neon Srt4 2004 // 90kMiles // Stock Turbo // AGP Wastegate? // HKS SS BOV // Single Apexi Exhaust // CAI. Car Does has check engine light on with 0420 (cata) and another code which I forget but when I looked it up I wasnt concerned and I dont have car to confirm that other code now. Anyway to the story!

I was on way home from work and made a pit stop car was running fine. I got out from store and cranked up the car and rpm jumped to 2k not sure if thats a norm but it also shot a huge cloud of white smoke from the exhaust. I then noticed the same white smoke coming from turbo/engine area. I towed the car to the shop where I have my oil changes done and had my clutch replaced for them to check out tomorrow. My friend thinks the turbo bearings went bad and the propeller hit the wall of the turbo or that it may be the head. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has had similar problem and what the outcome was. I did check the oil and it was fine. I always run my car on premium gas and every 3k miles I get the synthetic oil changed. Any advice would be appreciated I'm spose to find out in the morning if its any of the lines/tubes/pipes causing this. Just for laughs my fiance came to pick me up in her car and her battery died and we had to get jumped twice and go pick her up a new battery too :rofl: What an exciting day!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update

Sunday update. Turns out the noise I was hearing is the intake guess I never paid it any mind before yesterday. Oil is leaking through both sides of turbo all the way down to the intercooler, took some pictures I'll post up later. Said they were gonna remove the valve cover and replace the gasket cause its prob soaked in oil. There is oil pretty much everywhere. The car wasnt smoking at all but tech said it was when he first started it up in the morning. Gotta wait till tomorrow for some pricing. So far 1 day 2 nights without the srt4 :crying:

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
You said oil was leaking out both siides of the turbo? Bad Turbo Seals.

Oil in the intercooler could have been pulled from the PCV, but if you have oil on both sides of the turbo, its the seals.

I wouldn't worry about the valve cover gasket unless it is damaged.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You said oil was leaking out both siides of the turbo? Bad Turbo Seals.
Yeah thats the same thing my friend said, its the turbo seals. A really good friend of mine has a stock turbo and just boxed it up for me tonite. I'm lucky to have such a good friend, he really saved my ass. Turbo should be here by Tuesday morning :clap:

As for the Valve Cover gasket the tech at the shop said that it was probably damaged and if it needed it they would replace thanks for the heads up. Also my friend told me to get all 6 gaskets that run to and from the turbo replaced which is what I'm going to do (anyone know how many gaskets or is 6 correct?). He said its like 4 coolant gaskets and 2 oil gaskets not sure but was gonna mention to tech to order new gaskets...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Monday night update. Turns out they dont think its the turbo seals. They think its the pistons/piston rings leaking oil, they ran a compression test which is what they said led them to think that was the problem. Still no quote, cant wait to be an a hole on the phone with them tomorrow cause there is no doubt in my mind they are gonna try to take all my money. Wish me luck fellow srt owners.

·
Registered
0 Posts
PuReHeLL, Im really happy i came across your post, last week the same thing happened to mine white smoke, lost of power and oil where there shouldn't. I was told it might be the head gasket and that meant $?,???.00 that i do not have.
but I found your post, replaced the pcv valve ($9.50) and it was running just like new

~thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
so i been smokin out of exhaust too, white smoke, oil smelling smoke, only visible @ idle though... took off pcv, still rattles, so i guess its still good??? blew in 1 end and air freely goes through, blow through other end, and thr is lil restriction.. gettin alot of oil in intercooler:crying:... could the problem be something else???:stab:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you find out what the problem ended up being?
so i been smokin out of exhaust too, white smoke, oil smelling smoke, only visible @ idle though... took off pcv, still rattles, so i guess its still good??? blew in 1 end and air freely goes through, blow through other end, and thr is lil restriction.. gettin alot of oil in intercooler:crying:... could the problem be something else???:stab:

·
Registered
1 Posts
im having something similar happen small amount of smoke coming up around the wastegate under throttle around 5-6k could it be the PCV? or should i look into swapping the seals?

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
im having something similar happen small amount of smoke coming up around the wastegate under throttle around 5-6k could it be the PCV? or should i look into swapping the seals?
need.more.details. miles on car? what performance mods? when i started to get white smoke on my 50 tim car it was due to bad seals in the turbo. had turbo rebuilt and everything was good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts