Dodge SRT Forum banner

Best External Wastegate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could someone describe the pros and cons of the different sizes and brands of wastegates? Why would you want to run a 44mm wastegate? What is the best quality wastegate? Which has its drawback?

I tried a search, but could not find any info on the size difference. As for the different brands, input was far and wide and i would like to make it more accesible to everyone. Sticky later maybe?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Eh...I've had good luck with 2 different ebay wastegates on 2 different setups now. If I had the money I would buy turbonetics over anything. I believe the bigger wastegates are for higher hp vehicles...they push a lot of air and they need to get it out in a hurry hence the larger diameters. Kinda like an exhaust system...honduhs can run a 2" exhaust system just fine, but then if you put a 2" exhaust system on a big block camaro you wouldn't have great results.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanks for the info. I have heard some people say that the tial isnt very good if you dont run race fuel, and i have heard bad things about the turbonetics. I am just trying to get some info and maybe help a few other people too. I figured that the bigger wastegates would be used to release more air, but what effect would it have. If i used a smaller wastegate, say 35mm, would i have boost creep? What if i used the 44mm, would it be overkill, and if so, what are the effects of that?

·
Banned
917 Posts
killerSRT said:
cool, thanks for the info. I have heard some people say that the tial isnt very good if you dont run race fuel, and i have heard bad things about the turbonetics. I am just trying to get some info and maybe help a few other people too. I figured that the bigger wastegates would be used to release more air, but what effect would it have. If i used a smaller wastegate, say 35mm, would i have boost creep? What if i used the 44mm, would it be overkill, and if so, what are the effects of that?

1st, what is your hp goals?

and what would race gas have an effect on how well a tial performs...honestly, think about it. tial is top notch and is one of the top quality brands out there.

44mm is for those huge hp guys... if you get boost creep (boost increases more and more to redline), then upgrade your 38mm to a 44

if you're stock turbo. 35 is fine.
38mm is good for 300-450
450+ id say maybe venture to a 44 if you are getting boost creep

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be running a 50 trim at about 400ish hp street and i have the turbonetics, i was just curious what else is out there and what each one does. I had a friend in a turboed 350z run a turbonetics and get overboost all the time, switched to a tial and ran 9 psi exact. Im just curious if there are any problems out there like this and just more general information on the wastegates. It just seems that wastegates are overlooked, for example, AGP turbo gives you a long discription of each turbo when you purchase a kit but throws the 38mm wastegate in there without any info.

·
Banned
917 Posts
maybe thats because on your buds 350z....the turbonetics WG has a different strength spring compared to the tial... :readclose:

as stated, unless you're getting boost creep, a 38mm WG will be fine for 95% of the guys here

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
christian! said:
maybe thats because on your buds 350z....the turbonetics WG has a different strength spring compared to the tial... :readclose:

as stated, unless you're getting boost creep, a 38mm WG will be fine for 95% of the guys here

Both wastegates had a 9 psi spring, and im just trying to get more info out there on wastegates. You always here people swearing on certain products while other people had problems, i just haven't heard much bickering over the external wastgates. :jester:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just wanted to add that the turbonetics wastegate that AGP uses is rated for leaded gas and one of tial's valves is not rated for leaded. Tial has a leaded version valve stem.

Just be sure of what you are getting from the vendor if you are getting tial.

http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg_38.htm

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Turbosmart makes some of the best products around by far. However, if you want to be like everyone else TiAL 38mm is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
/\/\/\ Love the sig:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts