Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm real serious in getting a motorcycle now, and I've practiced on my friends 1992 Katana 600 which is damn heavy. I've also been riding a Co-Workers 04 Yamaha R6, but it looks way to small for me when I ride it and hate when I make a u turn because my hand gets stuck in between the handle and the gas tank, but that thing looks sweet and fast.

The SRT has been real heavy on my pocket gas wise, because my job is 50 miles away which adds up to 100 miles at the end of the day. I see the gas station more then I see my own Fiance:flame: So thats why I'm considering a bike and why I've been practicing all the basics. I'll be taking a Professional motorcycle class soon, to learn all the other deep stuff I need to learn in case of an Emergency, etc.

I've been looking around and I really liked the 2005 Suzuki Katana 600, like my buddys, just newer and lighter...oh and nicer:lol: I'm 6'3 and about 170ish. Will this bike be a good starter bike for me? Is it to small? What other bikes should I consider? Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool

XL1200C said:
A good starter bike? A 250 or 500... definitely not any new 600, especially the R6. If you have to start on a 600 b/c of the cool factor, etc, then look at the YZF 600r (not R6), Katana 600 or suzuki SV 650.
I know, I'm not trying to get anything with an R or F4i, I'm looking hard at the 05 Katana 600 or 750 and the Yamaha YZF600. Since u know about bikes, which one would you choose?

The thing about the R6 and the GSX-R 600 is just the throtle. Way quicker response and harder to handle. I'll eventually upgrade once I get more exp. with a Cruiser bike that looks like a Sports Bike.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
yeah, don't listen to the dude above. New gsxr750's push more HP than your average civic, and are lighter than the bike he started on, which means more 'get your ass into trouble' speed in your right wrist.

I recommend the Katana 600 from your list, and it's a much better choice than any supersport if your spending 100miles a day on it. I wouldn't even recommend an SV with those distances, although i've done a number of 150+mile runs, I wouldn't want to do it every day. Don't doubt it's speed though dude, it's plenty fast enough to get you into trouble. My riding buddy managed to dump his 03 katana 600 a few weeks ago because goosed the throttle at the wrong time.

Just take it easy on her, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
SUFIZTIC said:
I know, I'm not trying to get anything with an R or F4i, I'm looking hard at the 05 Katana 600 or 750 and the Yamaha YZF600. Since u know about bikes, which one would you choose?

The thing about the R6 and the GSX-R 600 is just the throtle. Way quicker response and harder to handle. I'll eventually upgrade once I get more exp. with a Cruiser bike that looks like a Sports Bike.
Since I've had a lot of bikes in my life, I'll comment. What your asking is something you'll have to answer for yourself. Your going to have to ride each bike you like and see if you feel comfortable riding it. For ex, I own currently have a R1, which I love except for one thing, it's not as comfortable as my old GSX-R. Why did I buy it, I got it pretty cheap. But if I would of found a GSX-R1000 priced similar, I would picked it over the R1 any day. Go start going to dealers and get on all the bikes you can, so you can get a feel for the sport bikes and others and decide. BTW, if you start riding it a lot and catch on quick, you will outgrow a 600 quickly or at least mostly everybody that I know that has a 600 did(I never really cared for a 600 for this reason)

·
Banned
947 Posts
I'd get a 600cc or larger bike, you will out grow a 250cc to 500cc pretty damn quick, or you will be selling the bike soon to go bigger. After you ride for awhile weight wont be a factor. It will help to have a bigger bike on your commute if you are on the highway as well, nothing like being able to get out of the way of a semi real quick. My bike is 600lbs but I never notice it & its a 1000cc bike. My 600 that I started on became boring within 7 or so months, take the class and see how it goes, dont buy anything untill after you take the class and get a licence. Good luck - Happy Trails & Watch out for the CAGERS!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Comments

Thanks for the info and advice, I'm gonna go to a dealer and check out the Katana 750, just wish they had it in red like the 600. I like the look of the Katana, and insurance is way cheaper then a sport bike also. Insurance Co. consider the Katana to be a Cruiser which is pretty cool. What kind of Power and 1/4 mile times does a stock Katana 750 have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with most of the other guys. I started on a 1996 Katana 600. After about a year, I was completely used to the power and weight and looking for something bigger. Unfortunately, this bike was stolen from me and I got the opportunity to pick up a 1987 Ninja 750. I was thinking it was going to be a little faster than the previous bike but the age of the bike made it similar to the Katana. I then sold that after a year and picked up a 2003 Ninja 900R. What a bike!! :clap: I believe that the practice I got on the Katana definitely got me used to the new bike. Just remember, it's all about practice!! You have to get on that bike, whatever size you end up getting, and ride, ride, ride, and then ride some more. It's the only way to get comfortable on it, whether it's a 500 or a 1000.

Good luck with whatever you get :hi:

·
Registered
476 Posts
well, im same as you 6-2 but 230. i had a 01 r6 and it was just fine for me. With any sport bike your hand will touch the tank in a u turn.

food for thought. you said the new 600's are too small for you, well, many of the new big boy bikes are smaller, namely the zx-10. I think that buying the katana for you will be a mistake, especially the 750 as youll pay more for insurance and get very little more performance than the katana 600.

My advise, coming from a rider with 5 years experience: you already seem to know how to ride. Provided you dont want to be mr. stuntman or think your matt maladin or nicky haden when you get on a bike i think a newer used 600 would be best for you. For example a gsxr or zx6r, even a f4i would be great. Plus 600's are dirt cheap to insure compared to a 750. Heck your best be would be an 00-02 zx6r. they are a little bigger than the other 600's plus they are easy to find for a good price as they are often over looked.

btw i ride a gsxr 1000 :D

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
guys, until your knee-dragging, you shouldn't be 'bored' with a 600. Don't fool yourself into thinking because your used to straight line speed that a 600 is 'boring'.

·
Registered
361 Posts
well..i had a used katana 750 for my first bike. I got bored of it real quick. I swore i wasnt goign to do over the speed limit for awhile and in the first 5 miles i was doing 100+. Just way easy to go fast on bikes. After a while i couldnt hang wiht even full bred sport bikes that were only 600cc. I am not sure about the new kats but the tire on my was really narrow so i couldnt corner as well as my frineds on thier bikes. But..its a nice first bike. Now i am geting a buell lighting in the spring. Just to be different.

·
Registered
119 Posts
man i started out on a cbr 929rr as my first bike than a gsxr 750 than a 1000 and then came baby and no more bike.

um unless you are no offence intended but a hot head who will get himself into trouble start out on a 600 or a 750 because you will get bored with it quick if you get a smaller one

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I wish I had to sack to ride a bike...

·
Registered
19 Posts
600 is more than enough. I work at chicago cycle center and have ridden just about every bike you are considering. I myself have an 02 suzuki intruder volusia. If you must have a sportbike for your first bike, I recommend frame sliders or a standard bike. I don't want to sound discouraging, but chances are it will fall down eventually. But yeah no bigger than a 600. Remember, a good rider on a 600 will beat a mediocore rider on a 1000.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My recommendation: Get a used bike - maybe maximum a lower horsepower 600. Absolutely take a motorcycle driving course. Maybe if its available, a racetrack course afterwards.

After six months, if you're still alive, and have all your limbs (sounds harsh, I know), sell it and get maybe a state of the art 600. Realize that you must respect how quickly and deeply a powerful motorcycle can get you into trouble. Current literbikes are capable of sub-10 second, 140 MPH plus quarter miles. You cannot imagine how quickly you can run out of road. Your skill in operating it is not nearly as important as your good judgement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
ICouldaBeenAV8 said:
My recommendation: Get a used bike - maybe maximum a lower horsepower 600. Absolutely take a motorcycle driving course. Maybe if its available, a racetrack course afterwards.

After six months, if you're still alive, and have all your limbs (sounds harsh, I know), sell it and get maybe a state of the art 600. Realize that you must respect how quickly and deeply a powerful motorcycle can get you into trouble. Current literbikes are capable of sub-10 second, 140 MPH plus quarter miles. You cannot imagine how quickly you can run out of road. Your skill in operating it is not nearly as important as your good judgement.

probly the best advise i have heard on this thread

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.