Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asking myself where do you guys shift (what rpm) for max acceleration with your srt-4; assuming the car on the dyno makes 220whp at 5400 rpm and after that the power begins to fall dramatically; is it better: 1) Shift at 5400rpm where peak power is to have the most torque when the rpm will drop 2)Shift at 6000rpm or cut off to be in the max power band when the rpm will drop?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
I was told...you wanna shift so when U hit the next gear , you are at max torque, so I'd say just above 5400.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
the idea of drizze's post :p is that if you shift at redline when you hit the next gear you're already in the power band. if you shift at peak power the rpm's land the farthest away from max power. so suck it up, take the minimal loss of redlining it and then land back in the power instead of getting max power and then shifting into no power.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think its supposed to be "Gear Ratio * Torque" for for that MPH and the higher number should tell you which gear you want to be in for fastest acceleration what it ends up with for this car I don't know but I was on a mini board and they had a cool way to figure their cars out i'll do a search and see if i can find out.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Dr. Who said:
it'd be interesting to see if someone tried it both ways at the drag strip.

-The Doctor
That would be me, but not in an SRT.

.3 of a difference in the quarter.

And the winner is... REDLINE, Baby!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Just watch out for that rev limiter, its right there at the red line. :twisted: Need an ECU to tack care of that. . . . 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just like second chance stated.......doesn't it have to do with gear ratios and torque multiplication? Assuming the loss of power after peak horsepower is minimal, wouldn't it be better to ride in a stronger gear (for example 2nd gear) for that split second or so instead of shifting earlier into a weaker gear (for example 3rd)? These are all just speculations on my part, and I know that most of you have a higher level of knowledge about this car, and cars in general. But just a thought......

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
people...eventhough the Dyno graphs are right if you have ever driven or rode in one you'll know that 6000 rpm is just right to the SOTP dyno :lol: 8) :twisted:

·
Registered
21 Posts
hmm, I would say that in any lower gear, the srt put's more torque to the ground than in any higher gear, no matter what the rpm, except in fourth gear at ~130, MPH, where fifth has a little more. It's close between third and fourth, with the top of third just edging out the peak of fourth, but first to second and second to third are both no contests.
of course, this is all based on mathematical calculations (ie the drive power in gears feature in cartest), so real world could be different. but I think that's already been spoken for, so there you have it 8)

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
*Choooooo Choooooooooooooo* "Freight train coming through!!!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
NeonDan
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing