Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car sits much more than it used to, and now my calipers are freezing. I just replaced one, and now the front drivers its stuck too :(

I did search but all the links point to S&P, who, appear to be out of business now :(

Does anyone know where you can get a rebuild kit (full piston rebuild) from reputable vendor? I think I might just rebuild all the calipers now and change the fluid while I'm at it :thumbsup:

Sorry to create a thread about this, but I'm having trouble finding the right one :stab:

·
Administrator
39,333 Posts
dealer. I'm sure Modern can get them for you but going to the dealer will likely be a quicker option.

Or you can go round and round with parts store people making sure you get the correct kit because all of their computers list the wrong damn piece. The parts store ones are just the square seal and the dust boot, no piston.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks stowaway... The last thing I want to deal with is AutoZone/Napa..

I just emailed Modern to see if they can get them. If they can, I might suggest they put it on their website, since I see alot of threads with people having this same problem. If they can't get them, I'll try the dealer next.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to give everyone an update:

I went back and forth with Modern and I didn't get to far, so I ended up just going to the dealer and ordering myself.

The rebuild was pretty straightforward, but dustboot was fun to say the least.

Some Tips:

When you take the piston out, remove the piston from the car by disconnecting the brake line and working on the caliper on your workbench. Then put some rags on the inside of the caliper, and use your air compressor to 'blow out' the piston from the line feed hole. Keep your fingers away from the piston because it will come shooting out.

Now to put the piston back in: put the dusboot on first, then set the 'ring' on the inside ring of the caliper first before you push the piston in; once that is done, push the piston in. Dont hammer it, its ceramic and it could damage it. If you search youtube for how to rebuild a caliper, you will find a video of the guy putting the piston in first, then doing the boot after the fact. This wont work well for our caliper because theres hardly any room in there to set the inside ring once that piston is in.

And here are the part numbers for the Mopar rebuild kits:

Front - 5017842AB
Rear - 50119488A

Hope that helps someone.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the front rebuild kit was around $40, and the rears were around $20 or so.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I Work at Napa and i had a problem with my driver side caliper locking up and i got it from my job and it came powder coated black. It Is just like my oem one!!! it says turbo on it and everything. Its an Al Cardone one, part number SE5434A. Just my .02:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), SRT of the Month, 2011
8,916 Posts
I Work at Napa and i had a problem with my driver side caliper locking up and i got it from my job and it came powder coated black. It Is just like my oem one!!! it says turbo on it and everything. Its an Al Cardone one, part number SE5434A. Just my .02:thumbsup:
You got a remanufactured OEM caliper.... that's why it has the yellow "REMAN" on it.

Good find though!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
i used the autozone rebuild kit, ~$5, make sure to sand the cylinder to remove the rust, that will make them stick.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice find! How much did that run ya? Was there a core charge, or rather would there be a core charge for a regular customer? :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Nice find! How much did that run ya? Was there a core charge, or rather would there be a core charge for a regular customer? :)
There was a Core because its not a brand new one. For a regular walk in costumer its $65.99 + $27.50 core. :readclose Not a bad price, I think it comes with a 2yr warranty and roadside assistance. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I might have had a caliper hang up on me this morning. Got to work and driver side smalled very hot. I looked closer and it looked like there was lead or silver solder spattered all inside my wheel and from the inner side of my brake rotor to the top of it.. I jacked it up right away and could still turn the wheel. I let it cool then took it for a ride. No issues for about a 10mile ride.. I then left work early because I didnt want to sit in 1 hour of stop and go traffic with a possible brake issue. got home early (23mins vs 1hour) and took everything apart. cant find where the solderish stuff came from.. pads look fine, rotor looks fine. I push the caliper back a little and will take it for a little ride later. I called Napa and they have both front calipers in stock ($65 + $25 core). Cant find any rebuild kits or calipers at autozone or Advanced auto. I called the dealer and they want $163 for the driver side.. :wah?!:

·
Banned
40,227 Posts
Nick..thanks for posting this how to and part numbers.

I have a set of calipers that I am getting ready for powdercoating and I need to get the rebuild kits for them after they are done.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just to give everyone an update:

I went back and forth with Modern and I didn't get to far, so I ended up just going to the dealer and ordering myself.

The rebuild was pretty straightforward, but dustboot was fun to say the least.

Some Tips:

When you take the piston out, remove the piston from the car by disconnecting the brake line and working on the caliper on your workbench. Then put some rags on the inside of the caliper, and use your air compressor to 'blow out' the piston from the line feed hole. Keep your fingers away from the piston because it will come shooting out.

Now to put the piston back in: put the dusboot on first, then set the 'ring' on the inside ring of the caliper first before you push the piston in; once that is done, push the piston in. Dont hammer it, its ceramic and it could damage it. If you search youtube for how to rebuild a caliper, you will find a video of the guy putting the piston in first, then doing the boot after the fact. This wont work well for our caliper because theres hardly any room in there to set the inside ring once that piston is in.

And here are the part numbers for the Mopar rebuild kits:

Front - 5017842AB
Rear - 50119488A

Hope that helps someone.

Bringing back the old thread. Nick is the part number for the rear AB at the end? you may not know after all this time

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey White, according to my notes, it was just A, no AB. This is what I got from the dealer the day I went.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just as an alternative you can just get the seals if you don't want to get the entire kit from Mopar. They are from Dorman and you can find them at Rock Auto for next to nothing.

Front: D351458
Rear: D351962

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey White, according to my notes, it was just A, no AB. This is what I got from the dealer the day I went.
OK thanks. i called yesterday, and atleast the guy I spoke to said it was AB. He asked me for a second letter, thats the only reason i asked. Thanks for the parts numbers though, huge help. Unfortunately they didnt have any in stock

Just as an alternative you can just get the seals if you don't want to get the entire kit from Mopar. They are from Dorman and you can find them at Rock Auto for next to nothing.

Front: D351458
Rear: D351962
Thanks alot. i actually ordered the complete rebuild kits through mopar yesterday. It was only $15 per side, so it wasnt too bad. thanks for the input

1 - 20 of 21 Posts