Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, this isn't exactly what you wanted but it's close.

Those 3 gizmos attached to the airbox are the 3 solenoids. I hope the pic is good enough so that you can read the diagram. If not, I'll post something better.

The "Green #2" solenoid is the one for the wastegate.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
YOu dont need to hook it up to that. What you acn do is take the hose coming off the wastegate and connect it inline to that.

It should go like this:

Manifold(intake) hose MBC hose wastgate dashpot.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you understand my question (I don't think I explained it correctly.) In order to get the manual boost controller to work correctly, you cannot just splice into the line going into the wastegate actuator. You must ALSO plug the wastegate solenoid. If you do not, the system will continue to try to "bleed off" excess pressure from the line and it will not hold boost correctly. This was the whole point when people were talking about you shimming the wastegate, Exhaust Depot. The problem was that you installed the EBC, but did not take away the systems ability to bleed off the boost (this may have caused the fluctuations you were experiencing.)

Notice at GREEN #2 bottom connection, the WG solenoid vents to the atmosphere. That is where the system is bleeding off the pressure to avoid the system from holding a higher boost.

Anyone, (Mike B.) correct me if I'm wrong!

-Sam :D

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Samuel, give me a shout 954-662-7766. I will explain to you how the whole turbo system works and also why I was having problems with my EBC. YOu will then understand how it is that the controlling of the boost system works and why you dont need to do anything to the stock solenoid.

I opened drizz eyes to it. :)

ALso let me know what MBC you have. I can show you how to hook up the whole thing with only 1 foot of vaccume hose. Thats all you need.

Hector

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
drizze99 said:
Sam,
I was told that you can connect the hose going from the turbo directly to the wastegate! And completely remove the Green selonoid!! :evil:
Please enlighten my dumbass whats the purpose of this?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Dont go over 16-17psi or you will get a CEL (check engine light) eventually. WHen you interigate the ECU, you will get an overboost message. To clear it disconnect the neg battery cable for a few seconds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
Samuel, give me a shout 954-662-7766. I will explain to you how the whole turbo system works and also why I was having problems with my EBC. YOu will then understand how it is that the controlling of the boost system works and why you dont need to do anything to the stock solenoid.

I opened drizz eyes to it. :)

ALso let me know what MBC you have. I can show you how to hook up the whole thing with only 1 foot of vaccume hose. Thats all you need.
Don't hold out on us now! Why not post the info?

Actually, I did a little messing around for the first time today and installed a MBC. Traditionally, the line from the WG solenoid to the WG is not used. You can either cap it off or just leave it vented to atmosphere. Then a new line is run from a good vacuum source to the WG with your MBC installed in the line. Today I tapped into the line on the brake booster that goes to the boost gauge. I installed a MBC in the line to the WG and just left the line from the WG solenoid vented. It didn't seem to work very well. Boost response was about the same as stock and even with the MBC adjusted almost to its end I wasn't getting much more than stock boost pressure. I could get a solid 15 psi though.

I was going to try it with the WG solenoid capped off, and then try it with the MBC installed in the line from the solenoid, but I didn't have the time. More experimentation tomorrow, weather permitting.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
MOre boost. :)
I need more than that ...
Do I have this correct?

The WG solenoid opens up when the turbo is at a certain boost level, thus causing the WG to dump excess boost?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty close. The WG solenoid is pulsed by the computer to limit boost to whatever the computer has been programmed for. It will pulse the solenoid so that boost rise (response) is a little slower than it could be also. The solenoid opens and passes pressure to the WG.

I'm also wondering how much that SV ("surge valve") is letting air out too. If it has a weak spring in it it could be letting air out way too soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Mike B.
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing