Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i actually have two questions for everybody.

my first question is...........Is it normal to have wheel hop at high speed like around 80 and up? i feel like i have to traction when going that fast. i just put new rims 17x7 w/ 40mm offset but i used the stock tires.

my second question is...........does temp. affect the amount of boost the turbo will put out? in the morning when it's lilttle cold, my boost only goes up to 7 but when the weather is warm, i hit 12

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
no and yes :D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
1qwik4,

First of all, don't confuse "wheel hop" with a misbalanced or bent wheel that is hopping off the ground at high speeds. "Wheel hop" is when your car puts enough power to the wheels to make them spin faster than you are going. When they break loose from the ground and start spinning, the movement of the engine causes them to bounce while they are losing traction. Instead of a steady "SQUEALLLLLL" from the tires you will often here a "SQUE SQUE SQUEEE SQUEEE SQUEEEELLL......" when taking off. If done hard enough, you can feel the front end of the vehicle slapping the ground hard and could possibly break something.

Most vehicles, including the SRT-4, do not have enough power to squeal the tires when you are already doing 80mph. If the wheel is bouncing or hopping at those speeds (usually felt in the steering wheel) then it is most likely caused by a bent rim or misbalanced wheel.

Intake temperature DOES effect the amount of boost on a stock SRT-4, although what you've explained sounds different. When the stock SRT-4 is cold, the exhaust temperature is not very hot. The exhaust is what turns the turbo. The stock SRT-4 will not reach its full boost until the engine is warmed up and the exhaust can properly spin the turbo.

Let me know if you have any other questions (and possibly get those wheels rebalanced!)

-Sam

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
motor mounts anyone?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
and then :shock:

·
Registered
65 Posts
question about motor mounts...

will they completely eliminate wheel hop?

also, how hard is the installation? is it easy to do by yourself?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
no they wont completely stop the hopping.. but they will help.. yes they are easy to install ( do a search in the forum )

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
trust me ive test driven a spec v .. this is much worse .. 250 pounds of torque , and no lsd !! it will bounce like a basket ball!!!

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
benzcl500 said:
question about motor mounts...

will they completely eliminate wheel hop?

also, how hard is the installation? is it easy to do by yourself?
Wheel hop is reduced to almost nill, the install in easy except the tranny mount and the 2 passenger side mounts you can do yourself easily but will strongly recommend you take your time with a few buds on the tranny mount (if you purchase it)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
i thought the tran mount was on back order ??
will we be doing a group buy for those also ??

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Man I don't want to do the trans mount install, and yeah whens it coming :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Vanilla_Coke
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing