Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen anything , and was also wondering how much of a difference you would see off shaving 5-6 lbs per axle

·
Registered
751 Posts
The most common figure I've seen is 4:1. So for every one pound of rotational mass removed, it has the effect of removing four pounds of sprung weight from the vehicle. You're looking at a similar difference of removing 20-24 pounds from your vehicle, per corner. It adds up quickly.

Personally, I've felt huge differences between heavy and light wheels, so I usually go for the lightest wheels in my price range. I've also read that there are additional handling and braking benefits to reducing unsprung weight as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I know it has its advantages, 80-90 lbs of rotating mass I'm guessing is a very noticeable difference. I'm asking because I'm looking for wheels now. Nothing special, just the typical everyday xxr or something , and see they weigh 22-23 lbs for a 17x8.25 et35... Or right in that area, which I believe is 1-2 lbs more than stock..

On the other end the rpf1 I believe is around 15lbs for a 17x8? That's huge... Granted I'll be adding weight , with wider tires, but still might at least be 3-4lbs per axle weight reduction.

Only problem. I'm not a fan of the look. At least a 17x8 .. looks like a stubby, yet bulky flat faced wheel .. 🤷

I mean on Doug winds car it looks great , concaved/sunken in, but we all don't have the luxury of running those wheel sizes

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh , and fwiw, I'm still on stock 17x6 and 205/50s..

So as far as traction goes, anything will be an upgrade

1 - 5 of 5 Posts