Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
16,408 Posts
Chrome clad is basically a cover thats non-removable. If you look at the Chrome clad wheels of the Dodge Ram 1500/2500 steeel wheels, look close. The chrome portion is attached to a basic steel wheel. So are the 20" wheels that are "chrome clad", tap on the chrome clads and you'll feel a difference between those and the standard polished aluminum. DCX found a less expensive way to chrome more wheels then just getting the steel ones dipped.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
yes, my ram has the chrome clad, it is plastic attached to the 20" aluminum rim.

·
Banned
16,408 Posts
E55 KEV said:
Thanks Voodu, so, does that mean there is a outer chrome piece, possibly plastic, that is bonded (glued) to the Aluminum alloy rim?
Yea it's plastic. It's bonded somehow. I don't mind the chrome clad steel wheels but I don't like the clad 20's for that exact reason.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i think chrome clad is a little more durable than just a plastic chrome plating
im guessing but think of chrome clad as a dip of melted solder

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think chrome clad is a little more durable than just a plastic chrome plating
im guessing but think of chrome clad as a dip of melted solder
Bast from the past! This thread is real old and before most of us know exactly what "chrome clad" meant. It is a fake chromed plastic cover, similar to a hub cap that is bonded aka glued to the aluminum rim. It is not chrome plating or dipped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts