Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, my car came with the nastiest hooked up gauge pod that was twistied tied onto my pillar. I get sick of looking at its ghetto'ness, so I finally ordered a nice replacement pillar from Modern. Got it in the mail this afternoon. :clap: Well, I had my old ghetto pod taken apart and I noticed the gauges can only go in 1 way, and thats from the outside, because the face of the gauge has a lip on it.

Why in the hell couldn't that lip on the face of the gauge be removeable, so THEN I could just remove the ghetto pod and put my old gauges in my new pod with ease.

But nooooooooooo.

Back of my AFR, Looks like I won't be able to take out the wires from the back on this unless I took it apart.

Back of the Oil Pressure gauge. Now this has a ton of wires, but they all seem like they can be disconnected since they are lopped on with nuts.

Heres the back of the unit I am talking about, No idea where the hell the wires go, do I have tot ake my dash out? How?

Heres a pic of my pretty new one along with the A-pillar piece.

I am guessing there is no way around electrical work, unless I made a fine cut on my new pod under each "boob" and pushed those mo-fo's in and glued it NICELY back together. I will probably go the electrical way, so how in the hell do I get to those damn wires, can I just cut the big bulk of wires and soder them all back together? How do I go about doing this, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Damn, that is pretty ghetto'd up. There are way too many wires there.

The gauges should have one wire from the sensor (or a 2 wire connector like your oil gauge), a ground, and 1 or 2 power leads (possible 1 constant power and one switched power).

Contact the gauge manufacturer and see if they can send you some install instructions. Personally, I'd rip out all that wiring - except for the ones that run through the firewall and connect to the oil sending unit and afr sensor.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the AFR doesn't work, When I bought it he wsaid I needed to weld an 02 bung on the sensor or some shit, so its constantly reading "Lean" when I turn the car on. The oil pressure on the other hand works fine. They are both regular autometer lites. I just absolutely hate dealing with wires because I have no clue where to start. :flame:

·
Registered
525 Posts
take the wires off, take the guages off, put the guages in hte new one then put the wires back on...how hard is that

·
Registered
639 Posts
if your afr gauge is reading lean all the time and he never had the bung welded into the downpipe yhan i would guess you have a hot O2 sensor hanging under your car somwhere beter get that hooked up or its gonna fuck up the sensor $$$

·
Premium Member
14,242 Posts
raul-01 said:
Well the AFR doesn't work, When I bought it he wsaid I needed to weld an 02 bung on the sensor or some shit, so its constantly reading "Lean" when I turn the car on. The oil pressure on the other hand works fine. They are both regular autometer lites. I just absolutely hate dealing with wires because I have no clue where to start. :flame:
For the bung does it need to be stainless or aluminum? I got a pretty flashy light a/f for christmas.. its not wideband but it will fill the hole (insert pun here) nicely till I do eventually get a wideband.. so now I need a bung just like you welded somewhere and need to know if its stainless or aluminum...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Like someone else already said. Typically wiring guages is a pretty straight forward task. Typically the power is red, black is ground and on mine white and/or blue is the sensor. If you have a volt meter, check the wires out before you take them off. Also, I would invest in a nice solder gun when you put it back together. Way worth the money. I used to just use electrical tape, and I can't tell you how many times I had to take things back apart to fix a loose wire.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rt2002 said:
if your afr gauge is reading lean all the time and he never had the bung welded into the downpipe yhan i would guess you have a hot O2 sensor hanging under your car somwhere beter get that hooked up or its gonna fuck up the sensor $$$
Hmmmm I don't know man, he never said anything about that I will go look under my car tomorrow and see if I see anything hanging, :lol: I doubt it though... I tried hooking it up this afternoon, mission failed. I will take it apart another day and try it again. Thanks for the responses

1 - 9 of 9 Posts