Dodge SRT Forum banner

How much above a regular SRT-4 would you pay for an ACR Edition SRT-4?

• Nothing at all.. the SRT-4 is perfect as it is.

Votes: 247 32.6%
  • $1000

Votes: 235 31.0%
  • $2000

Votes: 184 24.3%
  • $3000

Votes: 66 8.7%
  • $4000

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • $5000

Votes: 19 2.5%
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Lepchitz said:
ACR is GAY!!! Its just Chrylser trying to stretch out Neon Sales as far as possible, In my opinion its a downgrade and should be cheaper or the same price, plus who want those gawdy ass wheels anyways??? and for half the raised price why not get some stage 3 coilovers and youll be fine. Maybe I'm just sour cause I just got an 05.
i agree with u 100% on that. :clap:

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
i wouldnt pay over a grand.. not even that maybe.

the poll should be like 0-500, 500-1000, 1-1500

anyone paying 2k for a regular srt4 with better struts is too much. srt4 with coilovers is better, and since the frame and weight dist is the same, you arent talking acr here.

i do love that white though

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
petar7408 said:
same frame and everything? you sure?
Positive.

1st Gen Neon ACR Sedan/Coupe

When the Neon was introduced in 1994, Chrysler decided for some fortunate reason to make a splash in SCCA racing and autocross. The Neon ACR was developed as a race-ready (just add rollcage), low cost machine, using as few special parts as possible. So that the first production run would wind up on the track, not the street, buyers were required to hold an SCCA membership. This original '1994-1/2' batch consisted of 182 SOHC-powered ACR sedans. Chrysler also sweetened the pot with substantial contingency money for ACR racers.

The original ACR was built on the Base Sedan, and the only factory option was the rear defroster. A/C and radio were not available, nor were the rest of the luxury or convenience options. In keeping with its mission, the ACR has never been available with an automatic transmission or antilock brakes. After the initial production run, the ACR package (also known as the Competition Group) joined the regular lineup, so A/C and radio became options. Non-SCCA folks were allowed to join the fun, as well.

ACRs have several distinguishing features. Foremost is the SDK (Competition) suspension with front and rear swaybars and very stiff struts, to bring handling up to racetrack strength. The steering ratio is quicker than standard, and brakes are four-wheel disc. ACR hubs are 10mm thick (compared to the standard 8mm) to meet road racing stresses. The manual transmission has both a lower final drive ratio and a lower fifth gear for better acceleration. All ACRs get the oversized radiator from the air conditioned car. All ACR Sedans have the SOHC engine; all Coupes get the DOHC. These engine choices have never varied throughout the life of the ACR, to avoid reclassification for SCCA road racing use.

Most ACRs were built on the Base chassis, to take advantage of the weight savings of minimal insulation or luxury options. The ACR Coupe started production in the '95 m/y using the Highline chassis (see the Base model history), then changed to the Base Coupe for '96 and '97 m/ys. All '98 and the few '99 m/y ACRs (Sedan and Coupe) use the Highline chassis, since the Base car was discontinued. Outside, the ACR has the Sport front fascia with empty foglight holes. Side moldings were not available from the factory, but sometimes added at the dealer. The interior was originally Base or Highline style (depending on the chassis); in the '96 m/y, the ANC option added a leather-wrapped shifter and steering wheel, as well as the Sport seats (with better lateral support) and Flash upholstery. ANC is now the standard interior since the Base car was discontinued in the '98 m/y.

The ACR designation has come to be known as "American Club Racing". However, it was originally just the sales code and has no actual significance. The same is true of the ANC interior, which is popularly held to mean "American National Champion".
2nd Gen ACR

2001.4 Neon ACR Sedan

Despite the best efforts of the SCCA Competition Board to punish Chrysler for making such a good, inexpensive race car, the ACR returned in the 2001 model year. Although added weight has slowed the car slightly, it remains an excellent value in the "fun-to-drive" category, and would in fact be competitive if it were not purposely mis-classed by the SCCA.
When the ACR was introduced in 1994, the car was built to be as light and simple as possible, using the lowest available trim levels. The second generation ACR, however, is more like the new R/T, minus some appearance items and luxuries. It shares the Magnum SOHC engine, standard Antilock Brakes and Traction Control, leather shifter and wheel, front fascia, and dual-outlet exhaust with the R/T, minus the side-skirts. In addition, a convenience package including A/C, keyless entry, power locks, and interior light package were available.

The ACR's suspension remains unique, and includes double-adjustable Dynamic Suspensions struts, in addition to stiffer spring rates, thicker sway bars, and firm-feel steering also seen on the R/T.

While Grassroots Motorsports is reporting that generous quantities of Chrysler-backed Neon contingency money have returned for 2002/3 racing and autocross seasons, the ACR has been discontinued for the 2003 m/y. It is not clear how these seemingly conflicting stories can be reconciled. The SRT-4 has been classified by SCCA in the T2 club racing class for the 2004 season.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Acr should cost the same or just slightly higher than the regular srt.

Base ACR should have these items deleted or changed.

Radio
A/C
Floor mats
Rear Spoiler
Side Skirts
P/W, P/L
rear defrost

It should come with the cheapest tires on the planet.

It should come with

High end double adjustable struts (not coilover)
camber plates
1" lower than standard ACR
Larger sways
shorter shifter
much better steering rack
16x8 rims

Of course you should be able to option most all of the options back on if you want.

IMO it seems as if Dodge is whoring out the ACRs heritage.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
acrbill said:
Acr should cost the same or just slightly higher than the regular srt.

Base ACR should have these items deleted or changed.

Radio
A/C
Floor mats
Rear Spoiler
Side Skirts
P/W, P/L
rear defrost

It should come with the cheapest tires on the planet.

It should come with

High end double adjustable struts (not coilover)
camber plates
1" lower than standard ACR
Larger sways
shorter shifter
much better steering rack
16x8 rims

Of course you should be able to option most all of the options back on if you want.

IMO it seems as if Dodge is whoring out the ACRs heritage.
Hello dodge are you reading this thread? Lighten the car! Give enthusiasts what they want. I would not pay a penny more for an ACR people that want an acr want an race car! Give it too us. No warranty, no frills.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
AWD would be a great thing. I would pay more for that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
mike_coleman_srt said:
Hello dodge are you reading this thread? Lighten the car! Give enthusiasts what they want. I would not pay a penny more for an ACR people that want an acr want an race car! Give it too us. No warranty, no frills.

I agree and disagree. I think that it should be cheaper than the regular SRT-4 but I also think that it should most certainly come with some sort of warranty. I mean u wouldn't buy an ACR Viper without its warranty would u?

·
Registered
2 Posts
can you say T2?

I think that some folks are clearly missing the point. Like the 1995-99 and 2001-02 Neon ACRs, the SRT-4 ACR is built to perform in stock class autocrossing and club racing. If you want to race an SRT-4 in SCCA T2 club racing or autocrossing, the ACR is definitely for you. If you want a better-handling SRT-4 for fun street use, yet want to leave the car stock and have minimum warranty hassle, then the ACR is for you! If you want the limited-production ACR for collector value, then buy one! If you want a car to mod extensively and don't need to worry about stock class legality, then a regular SRT-4 might work for you.

While it would be nice if they offered an "option delete" package without the A/C, radio, and other frills...don't be surprised if they don't. The zero-option ACRs just didn't sell well. My SSC racecar is one of just 9 Dodge Neon ACR sedans built in the 1997 model year without A/C. The other 246 Dodge ACR sedans built that year had A/C...

As far as the price goes, I say it's definitely worth more than a standard SRT-4. If it has the same equipment as the SRT-4, plus expensive BBS forged wheels, plus adjustable damping struts that lower the car and are stock-class legal, then of course it will cost more! Off the showroom floor, it should be nearly ready for T2 club racing -- just pull the A/C and other allowable deletes, add a good weld-in cage such as the Sky Tek, mount up some "R" tires, set the suspension alignment, install a good racing seat with harnesses and net, then go racing!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Hell I'd go for it. If I had an SRT-4 of my own when I turned 16 I'd rip out the A/C, radio, speakers, front power windows, floor mats, the spare tire, the trunk lining, and the replace the front seats with some lighter weight racing seats. Anything to get down the weight. I'd get adjustable struts/shocks, lower it 1", sways, and an STS. I'd be maknig my own ACR. I'm not exactly fond of the idea to use 16" rims....but then again there is some image in my head that makes me long for a white SRT.

·
Registered
418 Posts
modernceo said:
If you know anything about who I am and the cars MP has had for project cars, youd know that I had a 2001 Neon RT that was fairly modified. I raced it quite a bit, and bumped the power from 125 at the wheels to 142 at the wheels.

It was a very torquey, very strong motor for daily driving, but not for racing. The power fell off quite a bit and wasnt good for high rpm driving (ie, racing)

I loved, and still love the Magnum, but the combination of the much heavier second gen Neon and the power that dropped off on the top end Magnum made for a slow car.

Fyi, my RT was a Motorsports edition, one of like 200 I believe ? I bought it right off the showroom floor.

heh. you have the plates blurred in one pic but not the other. :thumbsup:

BTW, do you reside in the Huntsville, TX area? I swear that's the car at my apt complex....

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
got this info from this website:
LINK

The ACR package for the 2005 SRT-4 costs $1,195 - a rather astounding bargain - and it includes different tires, lightweight BBS alloy wheels, adjustable Tokico front and rear shock absorbers, "Viper-inspired" front seats with pass-fè throughs for competition seat belts, and additional suspension-related bits and pieces.

Just the wheels and shocks are worth $1,195, so if you're speed-minded, this ACR package is a no-brainer. I had the opportunity to drive a regular SRT-4 and an ACR version (tiny ACR badges on the sides, plus different wheels, are the only exterior tip-offs) on an autocross course, and while the SRT-4 is undeniably composed, the ACR version is just that much better.

Like the SRT-4, the ACR version can be driven very aggressively with no big surprises, but it especially responds to smoothness. The tires and suspension are astoundingly capable, and lap after lap, don't give up.

Inside, the new front seats are grippy and supportive. Gauges and instruments look upscale. The five-speed manual transmission still isn't quite as smooth-shifting as some of the competition's, but it's more than acceptable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why pay more at all. waste in my opinion. You can get a white SRT-4 (not the ACR). I would end up upgrading the suspension and rims anyway. So why pay more for stuff you don't really want.

Edit* - Damn thats cheap. I didn't realise that it was going to be such a little difference. I am thinking of swaying my decision to yes it's worth the dough.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.