Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for this thread i know it was posted somewhere else but could not find it. what are u guys using? and what mileage are u putting it at?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Mobil 1 10w-30, as per the manual. I changed mine to M1 at 1500 miles, and will probably do it again around 5000. You should change yours between 3-5k miles, depending on how hard you drive your car.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Book says 10w30 Mobile 1. I have no qualms with that. I'm doing mine at 2K (1380 right now)I hope to find a Mobile 1 filter before then. From what I understand, some Mopar filters are Frams, no Fram for me.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I just did my first oil change at 700 miles and Chrysler recomends 5w-30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic for the SRT-4. Even though the owners manual says 10w-30. Chrysler just put out an e-mail last week about dealers stocking up for the SRT-4 and SRT-10. That’s what I know and that’s what I used. Wal-Mart had it on sale for like $3.75 a quart, Killer deal on that stuff!!!!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Yea, I used Mobil 1 10W-30 on my oil change last weekend. I HAD to put another Mopar :( filter in!! They are re-badged Frams!! :( I went to buy a Puralator PurONE, but they don't make them yet.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
daytonagts said:
I’ve been using Mopar filters for years and no they are not frams (fram suck) Mopar may not make the TOP of the line filter But they are a darn good one.
Check this site: http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
drizze99 said:
daytonagts said:
I’ve been using Mopar filters for years and no they are not frams (fram suck) Mopar may not make the TOP of the line filter But they are a darn good one.
Check this site: http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html
Sorry that got me no where. I would be interested if some did have some good facts about Mopar being a fram because I’ll be PISSED and have some words with my bud at the parts counter.
:evil:

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Thanks Drizz, I was hoping someone would have that handy. Daytona, got a better reference? Not that I don't believe you, and I realize there is not any diffrence other than weight, but if I have to go in for service, I would not want to hassle it out with them. I know I would win eventually, but why go through it.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Here you go Daytona,

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy-mopar.html

this section covers just Mopar stuff, the bigger one about all the other brands is linked from it.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Thanks Drizz, I was hoping someone would have that handy. Daytona, got a better reference? Not that I don't believe you, and I realize there is not any diffrence other than weight, but if I have to go in for service, I would not want to hassle it out with them. I know I would win eventually, but why go through it.

Got a better reference for what?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
OK, Daytona, check this site out:
http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy-mopar.html

The first study said that the Mopar Oil filter was a FRAM. (not sure when the study was done) This new link kinda goes through the evolution of the Mopar Oil filter. He says at one point that the filters are like a box a choclates, you never know what you're gonna get inside!! The last test he did, the mopar was indeed a FRAM.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
daytonagts said:
. Chrysler just put out an e-mail last week about dealers stocking up for the SRT-4 and SRT-10..
Again, not that I doubt you, but if Joe Blow ( me :D ) walks in saying, I didn't use what's in the book because of an e-mail I heard about on the net, I can see them giving me crap. Dealers tradiitionally have a hard time with owners doing their own maint. on vehicles under warranty. I've found if you have the facts and know your rights, the whole process is much easier. What I was looking for was like a reference number for the e-mail. I know most corporations serialize such things for easier reference.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
GLHS837 said:
daytonagts said:
. Chrysler just put out an e-mail last week about dealers stocking up for the SRT-4 and SRT-10..
Again, not that I doubt you, but if Joe Blow ( me :D ) walks in saying, I didn't use what's in the book because of an e-mail I heard about on the net, I can see them giving me crap. Dealers tradiitionally have a hard time with owners doing their own maint. on vehicles under warranty. I've found if you have the facts and know your rights, the whole process is much easier. What I was looking for was like a reference number for the e-mail. I know most corporations serialize such things for easier reference.
Ok… Let me Go find my copy and I’ll let you know more specifics.

BTW I did read that stuff about the oil filters and I’m going to have to rethink my chioce..Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Subject: STOCK UP NOW ON MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC OIL
To: DLRALL$ ALL DEALERS

This note is from * SQUICCIARINI, CAROL J
Date: 02/27/2003
To: All US dealers
Subject: Stock up Now on Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
Today’s high-performance rides demand high-performance oil. That’s why Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil is recommended for the hot new Dodge SRT-4 and is also the factory fill for the Viper SRT-10. Now is the time to stock up. Mopar offers three grades of Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil at an extremely competitive price.
P5007323 5W-30 Tri-synthetic formula (recommended for the Dodge SRT-4)
P5007324 10W-30 Tri-synthetic formula (top seller and factory fill for the Dodge Viper SRT-10)
P5007325 15W-50 Tri-synthetic formula (recommended for high mileage usage)
Dealer Net: $4.35 per quart; MSQ = 6 ($26.10 per case)
MSRP = $6.50 per quart
Place you orders through GPOP now

If you need more I can give you the name and phone # for the mopar parts guy who gave this e-mail to me..

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Nope, good enough for me. Wonder why the weight change though? More heat issues?

·
Registered
313 Posts
As a service advisor at a dealership I can verify that was the exact dealer mail we got concerning mobil 1 tri-syn oil usage. I even mentioned it in another thread a few days ago. Glad no one pays attention to me. :(
LOL! j/k! I love you guys! ;)

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
2002-2003 MOPAR Oil Filters

daytonagts said:
The 2002 - 2003 contract is Champion Oil Filters for MOPAR.

However, I would opt for the K&N version with 10 micron screening.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I did my oil change last weekend. Mobil 1 10w-30 and Mobil 1 oil filter. The book said 5 quarts. I filled it with 4 1/2.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
lifeisdeath
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing