Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is with this car? And why do people buy it and why do people sell it?

Why is this car so loved and why are there many for sale? Are you trying to guess what i am trying to get at? Well, to be honest I really want to know why so many people cycle through them. I have not owned mine for more than a year but do people get tired of them after three or four years? Do they want a STI or a HEMI? Am I a person who will sell theirs in three years?

Am I a part of the cycle where mine will be for sale in two years? You know what? I hope not. I hope I can keep this son of a bitch for years to come. Do people run out of money or do people have too much money to dump 642 hp into this little car where its not worth it and need to move on?

I know two things: Dodge is not planning on making this car in the near future and i F****** love driving it. I plan on keeping this car for a while but since there are posts that have lived since 2003 on here, I feel like a damn embryo and am trying to get an idea why I may own a neon someone else used to post inserts on about three or five years ago. F it...

My beliefe is that with the right suspension, this car can do anything any other car can do. I give props to many cars on any day but how many times do we drift in the dirt on a daily basis? My point or queston rather is will this be a great following forever and should I endulge in it while I can? There are mny parts always for sale but think, neon srt4s will not always have 35-65 k miles on them.

S***, it costs a lot of money to keep this thing fun, fast and maintained but damn, I just went neck to neck durring all five rolls with an STI and I'm a stage one with this and that. Good times. Keep it alive guys. I'm addicted and will keep the dream alive.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I've seen a lot of threads about old owners who sold their car years ago who just bought another one because they missed it so much.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I've seen a lot of threads about old owners who sold their car years ago who just bought another one because they missed it so much.
I am guilty of this.... I missed the car after 3 yrs and bought a low mileage one just recently making it the 2cnd srt4 that I have owned. Great little car as far as performance and daily use goes.

In my line of work (Auto broker) I have owned and sold just about every type of vehicle you could think of... The srt4 is still an impressive ride for what it is and for the price it really can't be beat!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've owned my SRT-4 for over 3 years and I still burn more gas than I should just because I LOVE driving this car! The life and appeal of this car will always depend entirely on the driver. I've already spent over $2500 on repairs alone, including a rebuild due to a blown oil pump that ended up causing a couple rod bearings to spin. :crying: I haven't bolted on much more than an intercooler, exhaust, and wastegate, either. The downtime kept a lot of miles off the car, so I I just broke into 36k a week ago. I have other means of transportation, so I took my sweet time with the repairs. Also, I haven't seen a 4-cylinder engine easier to work on than ours... ever! Even with the turbo. For being such a big, turbo 4-cylinder, there is a lot of room in that engine bay to play around in! Aside from the rebuild, the only other problems were benign. A windshield washer pump and my sunroof (broken track) were replaced under warranty a couple of years ago. Other than that, it's been a bucket of fun for 3+ years. I still get looks :wah?!: and, sometimes, :clap: or :thumbsup: when the blow off valve sounds, and the only people that really try to street race anymore are guys in trucks that think the ability to tow a house will get you to 100 mph faster than a car with the same or even less hp, a LOT less torque, and half the weight. :stab: After a few years of demonstration, most real tuners have a healthy respect for what the SRT-4 is capable of. Hell, every now and then complete strangers will approach me in the parking lot and ask about the car, want to see the engine, and tell me about "friends of theirs" that got spanked by an SRT-4.

The other thing you have to consider is that these cars were only made for 3 years, and I don't see another high performance compact coming out of the states anytime soon. Right now, the hype is still a little high and plenty of people are still tuning and playing with their SRT-4s, so the SRT-4 still gets the sport-compact tuner rap where most people just look at them as noisy toys for kids and hooligans. :tongue: Once Fiat starts pulling Dodge models off the shelf (maybe eliminating SRT entirely!?) and replacing them with those little European wind-up cars, let a few years pass and see if people don't start saying, "Hey, that's that bad-ass, turbo Neon that they made a decade ago! I haven't seen any of those around in a while. Look! It still hauls ass, too!" I think that, in a decade or two, most people that care about motorsports will consider these cars to be almost like a collector's item. It's definitely a benchmark for Dodge! They haven't made a faster car since the Viper! America hasn't released a faster 4-cylinder ever! I, personally, have beaten every other SRT model hands down (except the Viper, of course). Oh, well, there is the Ram SRT-10, but I've seen less of those around than anything else from SRT. Their following seems minimal at best.

The bottom line is: If you love the car, keep loving it until you outgrow it, or until one of you go into the ground. If you want more power, speed, handling, or whatever, get some parts and tune it 'till it scares you (and, at some point, it will! :eeeek:). It takes a lot of suspension work to get these cars cat-like, but they live for drag racing. I think a coupe version would have had more capacity for agility and handling, but it's nothing a few well-placed braces, good coil-overs, and wheels/tires won't fix.

I love my SRT-4, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it as long as I can keep it running. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I think there are two main types that buy a SRT4 .

1) The person that realizes how fast these things can be , but dont consider the implications of big-power FWD . Time and time again they have seen a SRT4 lay waste to a "better" car , maybe theirs .
So they get one , and start doing power mods . Soon they come across the first stumbling block of FWD , more power you get outta these , the harder it is to control . Instead of balancing the rest of the cars attributes to take advantage of the power to its fullest , they go for MORE power !
Next thing you know , they end up with a big turbo , Piggy-backed , PTB nightmare expensive setup that cant do anything but cook tires . :stab:
All the while this person starts to hate what the car has become , but blames the car , not themselves . Its easier that way .

2) Then there is the person that realized the sortcomings of the car in the first place , and attempts a more balanced upgrade path . They address the suspension issues such as ride height , spring rate , ect . They strive to keep the throttle from becoming an ON/OFF switch . They understand that a big horspower curve is better than a bigger horsepower spike . They may make less HP than Person #1 , but they can get it to the ground , AND they just might be able to drive to work in the rain/snow .

As far as the reputation of the SRT4 in the future ? Who knows , it may have a spot reserved in the future , like the Buick GNX . Or it may be forgotten , like the Omni GLH .

Bought mine new , jan 05 . No plans to sell .

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think there are two main types that buy a SRT4 .

1) The person that realizes how fast these things can be , but dont consider the implications of big-power FWD . Time and time again they have seen a SRT4 lay waste to a "better" car , maybe theirs .
So they get one , and start doing power mods . Soon they come across the first stumbling block of FWD , more power you get outta these , the harder it is to control . Instead of balancing the rest of the cars attributes to take advantage of the power to its fullest , they go for MORE power !
Next thing you know , they end up with a big turbo , Piggy-backed , PTB nightmare expensive setup that cant do anything but cook tires . :stab:
All the while this person starts to hate what the car has become , but blames the car , not themselves . Its easier that way .

2) Then there is the person that realized the sortcomings of the car in the first place , and attempts a more balanced upgrade path . They address the suspension issues such as ride height , spring rate , ect . They strive to keep the throttle from becoming an ON/OFF switch . They understand that a big horspower curve is better than a bigger horsepower spike . They may make less HP than Person #1 , but they can get it to the ground , AND they just might be able to drive to work in the rain/snow .

As far as the reputation of the SRT4 in the future ? Who knows , it may have a spot reserved in the future , like the Buick GNX . Or it may be forgotten , like the Omni GLH .

Bought mine new , jan 05 . No plans to sell .

i couldnt put it any better!!! i will never sell this car! one owner last owner!!!!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
My goal is to drive mine to the junkyard in 25 years with 300,000+ miles on it because I can see the road via holes in the floor.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice enthusiasm. I love it. Nice write up toaster oven. I also want to drive it until nothingness. haha. I like the humble approach to it all and I totally agree that suspension and handling need attention as much as hp.

I just dont want them to never make them again. I might buy another to put on the side for when this one decinegrates.

·
Super Moderator
15,681 Posts
I came back to the fold as well. Not only will I be keeping this one until the endtimes, but I will be picking up a second (technically third ;)) SRT-4 for my ELW conversion.

Here, read these:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f10/dodge-srt4-almost-end-its-run-bow-your-heads-reflect-158309/?highlight=

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f10/time-my-yearly-roughly-thoughtful-lame-spontanious-yet-long-post-487121/?highlight=
Me and toaster will NEVER sell, at least I know he's not selling his CURRENT one haha!

I'll trade in anything else I own, either the pickup, or daily driver car, or whatever, but the SRT-4 will always be in the stable barring a catastrophe (knock on wood).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Had an 04 stage 2. Sold it for a civic hybrid because I wanted to drive solo in the carpool lane. 18 months later sold that and bought a 350z. 6 months later kept the 350z and bought an 03 srt-4 which I've had for a little over a year now.

People can say what they want about the suspension and other things (weight distribution, tiny gas tank, no rear power windows, etc...) and for the most part I agree with them. But when you realize that this car can be bought cheap and gets an honest 27-32 mpg if you watch your speed, and yet can go 12's pretty easily, it's amazing they are still not being sold.

When I got the 350z, I looked into what it would take to run with a decently modded srt-4, and quickly realized that it is not really worthwhile. Figure about $7000 for a decent turbo or supercharged setup, and then another $4000-8000 for a tranny that can take the power. When you're done, you could have spend (just the upgrade money) and bought a srt-4, dumped in some mods, and then beat the heck out of it on a strip.

It's not just the 350z either...Just about any NA car is going to be the same. Heck a $0.79 spring at ace hardware will get you the same power level as a set of headers on a NA car.:wah?!:

I think the majority of the reason people sell their srt-4 is because

a. They had to (via a judge, or DMV, state ref, or car insurance) because they couldn't lift off the gas pedal.

b. They wanted to mature into a more balanced car (e.g. got tired of the "kids" car due to whatever social pressures they run into in their personal life)

c. They modded it as far as they are willing to take it, and get board because they don't know what else to do to it (or are willing to do with it)

1 - 20 of 199 Posts