Dodge SRT Forum banner
22861 - 22880 of 22893 Posts

· Registered
5,991 Posts
Made an appointment for the latest EVAP code.
This time a P0440 after 350 miles of trouble free driving.

Equally anoying, almost a year later and the aux battery in the Prius just died.
So I'm re-charging it now hoping it will hold a charge.
This is the second occurrence (this time last year, same thing, possibly related to cold weather?).
It's 11 years old,, so probably way past due time for new aux battery.
I'd hate to get stuck somewhere with a dead aux battery.

Local Toyota Parts Department quoted a replacement cost of $195.99 + $18.0 core = $236.85.
Local Toyota Service Department quoted $390+ to replace the battery with a new one they have in stock.
Will do the install myself if the old battery holds a charge.
It's a 7-1/2 minute job.
Thanks.
SRT-4:
01/24/2013 128,828 miles STOCK PCM, MAP, TIP, S3 Injectors
Gas cap replaced again (2nd time).
Previous cap that was installed last summer was sticking when turned.
Suspected of not sealing properly.
We'll see.

Prius:
Battery re-charged and seems to be holding up for the last 3 days.
Not comfortable with it as the reserve capacity may be going after 11 years.
WIll replace next time I get paid.

· Registered
5,991 Posts
SRT-4:
01/24/2013 128,828 miles STOCK PCM, MAP, TIP, S3 Injectors
Gas cap replaced again (2nd time).
Previous cap that was installed last summer was sticking when turned.
Suspected of not sealing properly.
We'll see.
Replaced gas cap again.
Drove fine the first day.
But today another P0440.

Seems to happen after it sits in the sun.
Time for plan B ...

· Registered
5,206 Posts
Replaced gas cap again.
Drove fine the first day.
But today another P0440.

Seems to happen after it sits in the sun.
Time for plan B ...
I didn't look back through the history, but have you checked the rubber lines for the EVAP system? My kids' Neon was throwing a 440 as well, and it turned out one of his lines had a crack.

· Registered
5,991 Posts
I know you said you had smoke tested, but were you able to check the lines on top the fuel tank? They are pretty hidden and easy to kink. With such a small diameter, I'd imagine a blockage could be easy as well if debri got blown in while cleaning.

Sorry, just spit balling.
Thanks for the help.

It's a bitch alright.
Plan B should eradicate all of the complexity...

Stage 3 PCM has all the EVAP system disabled.
N2MB Code Scrubber will take care of the irrelevant auto transmission codes that Stage 3 PCMs have.
That leaves the P0633 Skim Code which I can get taken care of locally-ish.

It'll be alright...

· Registered
13,968 Posts
hey simon... since the SKIM code fix means someone's doing a PIN pull/lookup on the vehicle, do you think your guy would be willing (for the right price obviously) to VIN->PIN lookup a bunch of my cars? Been trying to figure out how to get this done for future use, but been getting cock blocked. We'd be talking up to 7 vehicles.

· Registered
5,991 Posts
hey simon... since the SKIM code fix means someone's doing a PIN pull/lookup on the vehicle, do you think your guy would be willing (for the right price obviously) to VIN->PIN lookup a bunch of my cars? Been trying to figure out how to get this done for future use, but been getting cock blocked. We'd be talking up to 7 vehicles.
Um, probably not...it's my understanding that this procedure is limitted to one car per customer per day. This because there have been instances of fraud - crooks getting the PIN number, making keys, stealing cars.

But I guess you could do it slowly, one car at a time...
not sure if there is any other way short of buying a $2400 decoder.

· Registered
13,968 Posts
well there appear to be other methods. PIN PULLER won't work because he claims it's not CAN.
there's a couple on-line sites that claim to do it for a fee.
there's tools that allow you to connect directly to the chip with the code in them, but that requires pulling the vehicle apart.
I've seen some posts from some online repair places seem to have techs that will do it.
I'm willing to be patient to get all the PINs I need/want.

for 6 of the 7 vehicles i can easily provide DL and titles that match the vehicle (5 in my name, 1 in mom's.) the 1 I can't because I bought it for parts, and haven't transferred the title over. only want that PIN so I could potentially re-use the various components as needed.

· Registered
5,991 Posts
well there appear to be other methods. PIN PULLER won't work because he claims it's not CAN.
there's a couple on-line sites that claim to do it for a fee.
there's tools that allow you to connect directly to the chip with the code in them, but that requires pulling the vehicle apart.
I've seen some posts from some online repair places seem to have techs that will do it.
I'm willing to be patient to get all the PINs I need/want.

for 6 of the 7 vehicles i can easily provide DL and titles that match the vehicle (5 in my name, 1 in mom's.) the 1 I can't because I bought it for parts, and haven't transferred the title over. only want that PIN so I could potentially re-use the various components as needed.
Can you please share the urls of those websites that do it for a fee? I just want to cross check the pin I got from the dealer yesterday. All he needed at the time was the full vin number. Thanks.

PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE, ITS NO NECESSARY...

I was able to get the SKIM code from the two seperate Dodge Dealers that I contacted.
I just called two seperate dealers and asked their Service Department
to look up my VIN and give me the SKIM codes.
They each gave me back the same SKIM code.
The second dealer remarked that someone had already provided the same VIN.
I told him yes, it was me...I'm just confirming the same SKIM number before having work done.

So it's pretty easy to get the SKIM code...but they know if how many VIN requests ...

22861 - 22880 of 22893 Posts