Dodge SRT Forum banner
22781 - 22800 of 22811 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRT-4
236 Posts
I barely even drove it since I got it (maybe 8 miles?), but realized my car wasn't going to get driven anymore this year so I pulled the collision insurance on it and put it in "storage mode" until spring.

Filled it up with premium and some Sta-Bil though

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
The pilot 4S is probably the best summer street tire this side of a Extreme Performance tire.

Got the alignment done by a guy who knows tracking cars. Good discussion. Even with the camber plate all the way in, the passenger side is still 2 degrees more positive than the driver's side. But at least now it's ever so slightly negative.

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Pulled the plates off the PT, Red, and the SRT8. Foot of snow. They'll see the road again in spring.

Silver SRT-4 is the "emergency winter backup vehicle", so it gets to stay warm in the garage with a set of barely-used (500kms from last year) winters on it.

Picked up a 2009 Journey AWD as a winter car back in September. Check engine light lit up on the way home. Spent a month chasing down problem after problem (my favorite is the coolant fitting that burst right as I brought it back for the first check engine light the next day, resulting in a completely new rad, AC condenser, pump and coolant at the dealer's expense) before I threw up my hands and got the dealer to take it back because despite throwing parts at it, it was just never happy. It was a single-owner, 150k km example in near-mint condition. But what's the point of having a mint exterior / interior if it's mechanically flawed to the bone?

2006-2011 was a dark time for Dodge. Battery in the fucking fender-well? What in the actual fuck. I tried man, I really tried to stay in-brand, but with used vehicle supply at all time lows, and "I prefer to have something AWD without a CVT" makes it a short list. I had to call it.

Now have a 2012 Santa Fe AWD V6 for a winter vehicle with new X-Ice's on it. Pretty unstoppable in the snow so far. Just enough old-school tech to not worry me about $$$ fixing computer or "module" problems. Nearly everything else I think I can handle myself.

New vehicles are a fucking rip-off.
Jeep Liberty

·
Registered
2004 SRT-4
236 Posts
I put on a set of Michelin sport pilot 4S tires. I haven't had a set of street tires this good on either of my neons.
The Michelin A/S 3 tires on mine are rock hard and pretty well worn (2014 date codes IIRC).....I was definitely going to replace them in spring with Michelins though (or maybe Conti ExtremeContacts).

I was thinking about the A/S 4's for a longer tread life, but I probably won't drive the car much & it'll only see nice weather only....so maybe I'll spring for the 4S's instead (depending on the price difference too).

I assume you're recommending them though?

Side question....what size did you get and/or on stock wheels?

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I'm on aftermarket wheels (8" wide, +35mm offset) with 245/40R17. I drive in dry or summer conditions year round pretty much so I would never need A/S tires. I have always used either drag radials or some fairly grippy tires because I was only stock power level for a short time. I dont race at the track any more and daily drive so I'm happy to get at least a year or so out of a set. The tire shop guys know me well...

·
Super Moderator
17,416 Posts
I'm on aftermarket wheels (8" wide, +35mm offset) with 245/40R17. I drive in dry or summer conditions year round pretty much so I would never need A/S tires. I have always used either drag radials or some fairly grippy tires because I was only stock power level for a short time. I dont race at the track any more and daily drive so I'm happy to get at least a year or so out of a set. The tire shop guys know me well...
I'll never have A/S tires either, I don't even drive in rain or on wet streets after a rain anymore. I'm hyper sensitive to rust now 17 years into owning the car. Especially now that my 8 year old Ram has a dot of rust on the inner wheel well on the rear driver's side, I don't ever want to deal with that on the SRT4.

It is unfortunate that there is so little out there now for 17" sport tires these days, it's really gotten scares in the last 5 years. Sports cars are running with bigger wheels presently, often 20".

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Still lovin' my MICHELIN PILOT SPORT AS 3+ (the + is very important).
Not too heavy sized 225 x 45 x 17 still mounted on forged Centerline Storm (14 lb).
They seem like they have perfect grip, cornering and wear compromises.
For driving the twisties in either wet/cold winter or blazing hot summer driving.
They seem to be lasting a good long time too.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I'll never have A/S tires either, I don't even drive in rain or on wet streets after a rain anymore. I'm hyper sensitive to rust now 17 years into owning the car. Especially now that my 8 year old Ram has a dot of rust on the inner wheel well on the rear driver's side, I don't ever want to deal with that on the SRT4.

It is unfortunate that there is so little out there now for 17" sport tires these days, it's really gotten scares in the last 5 years. Sports cars are running with bigger wheels presently, often 20".
Yeah, rust is the worst. I'm lucky I don't have to worry about rust at all. I drive on barely DOT legal slicks in the SS and I used to do that as well with the old silver neon with the built motor and a big turbo. For this car, I had to switch from the BFG sport comp 2s since they were going away, so I figured, I'll go top shelf and see if it's worth it. They are definitely better.

I hate the giant wagon wheels on cars these days. 17s or 18s is as big as I would ever want on a muscle car. My son's demon had the 315/40r18s and they could actually hook on the street pretty well. I still have the 275/40r17s on the SS and even with the hoosier dot slicks it can't hook very well until highway speeds. It really needs some 315s, but I need to find a spare set of rear wheels to widen to 11" for that.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
The Michelin A/S 3 tires on mine are rock hard and pretty well worn (2014 date codes IIRC).....I was definitely going to replace them in spring with Michelins though (or maybe Conti ExtremeContacts).

I was thinking about the A/S 4's for a longer tread life, but I probably won't drive the car much & it'll only see nice weather only....so maybe I'll spring for the 4S's instead (depending on the price difference too).

I assume you're recommending them though?

Side question....what size did you get and/or on stock wheels?
I have AS4s on the silver SRT-4. Awesome tire. Our spring / fall temps are cooler here, hence why I went with an AS as opposed to the 4S.

·
Registered
2004 SRT-4
236 Posts
Still lovin' my MICHELIN PILOT SPORT AS 3+ (the + is very important).
Not too heavy sized 225 x 45 x 17 still mounted on forged Centerline Storm (14 lb).
They seem like they have perfect grip, cornering and wear compromises.
For driving the twisties in either wet/cold winter or blazing hot summer driving.
They seem to be lasting a good long time too.
I was always a Continental fan, but I tried the Michelin AS4's on my Charger Scat Pack and loved them.
The only downside, Michelins are typically (almost always) a heavier tire versus the Contis. But the Conti's usually have a softer sidewall too.

·
Super Moderator
17,416 Posts
So... this is new:

Michelin comes out with a Pilot Sport Cup tire with the stock size for the SRT4. Interesting. Treadwear rating not so good but the offset might be really good performance.

Now Continental has the ExtremeContact Sport 02, new tire, stock srt4 size. Will be interesting to see how they improve them, considering how much I like the original ExtremeContact Sports I have now.

Yokahama has a new tire out in the 205/50 17, I have a hard time trusting them after the bad experience with the S Drives years ago.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I remember people hating the S drives. Just run 245’s if you want actual handling performance. I was blown away by the BFG rivals and I’m sure there’s better stuff out there nowadays. Why anyone would run the stock wheel setup is beyond me unless they’re commuting and saving their track setup. I’m literally poking fun of myself here ;)
I might be parting with the red car soon or parting with the Z06 to rebuild the srt once and for all. The neon is drinking a quart every 500 miles.

22781 - 22800 of 22811 Posts