Dodge SRT Forum banner
22661 - 22680 of 22681 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Dodge SRT4
2,645 Posts
50 trim
- compressor: 53.85mm inducer / 74.93mm exducer

so you can see even the 50trim has some big wheels.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Trim is not a measure of size, it’s a ratio of inducer to exducer. Compressor and turbine wheel sizes and a/r have a much greater affect on turbo spool/performance.

The Garret G25-550 is a similar size to the stage 3 turbo (actually slightly smaller), but extremely efficient and technological more advanced so is able to flow significantly more air. It should flow about the same as the gtx3071r but with smaller wheels so should spool significantly faster.

g25-550 specs:
  • compressor: 48mm inducer / 60mm exducer
  • turbine: 54mm inducer / 49mm exducer

Gtx3071r gen 2 specs:
  • compressor: 54mm inducer / 71mm exducer
  • turbine: 60mm inducer / 55mm exducer

stage 3 specs:
  • compressor: 49.3 inducer / 65mm exducer
  • turbine: 56.39 inducer / 49.10 exducer
Thanks for the alternatives.
My Stage 3 + Toys kit still performing great with over 100K miles since installed 17 years ago...

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
is there a source for a complete T850 rebuild kit? i'm thinking all consumables, like seals, fork pads, syncronizers, etc.
figure I should think about having one (or two, the sebring has the same trans) on hand for future use, before they all disappear.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I don't know of any, but you can still get everything from various sources like Pwerks and modern perf. There's dude on one of the SRT-4 facebook pages that has all the gears, shafts and other things.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
We got anyone in the Orange county, CA area, that would be interested in poking around a car I found out there? AND won't poach it out from under me, at least not immediately?

• Haha
Reactions: snobrdrdan2

·
Registered
15,000 Posts
Well something is broken on the car. Last several times there's been a loud clunk on start up. Extra vibrations when leaving from a stop. Leaving work today it was even worse. Higher frequency harmonic vibration the entire drive home. High frequency vibration felt through the clutch pedal. Motor mounts look ok. Trans mount felt ok. Can't really see it under the battery tray. Took a risk and did a pull on a frontage road and the AFRs looked good. I need to investigate further with Guru Joe.

·
Registered
15,000 Posts
Prognosis: Throw out bearing

Joe found some plastic and metal debris in the clutch case. Car will sit until we can tear into it and replace the clutch next month. Fortunately I have already have a new clutch, fork, and pivot ball.

·
Super Moderator
16,791 Posts
Prognosis: Throw out bearing

Joe found some plastic and metal debris in the clutch case. Car will sit until we can tear into it and replace the clutch next month. Fortunately I have already have a new clutch, fork, and pivot ball.
Well, given what it could have been, not horrible? Also, once you pull the tranny 3 or 4 times, it starts to work like clockwork pulling it out LOL.

The HOW-TO: Transmission Removal thread is very good, I've used it so often now.

I love this site.
Yep, still has a lot to offer!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I've done it so many times, that is not needed. We are going to have a little twist to the scenario...we are going to use a lift to pull the trans. I've never done that.

·
Super Moderator
16,791 Posts
I've done it so many times, that is not needed. We are going to have a little twist to the scenario...we are going to use a lift to pull the trans. I've never done that.
I'm honestly surprised how easily the transmission goes back in. I spent years working with the 2.2 and 2.5 na and turbos, holy crapola those transmissions are a pain to get in correctly. I imagine the clutch design makes it easier, but still. I can remember working in December with my dad, swear words flowing, trying to rock the engine and tranny, going up and down with both jacks, then suddenly you'd get that hollow metal to metal sound... FINALLY. But only after freezing our asses off for a couple hours on that damn dirt floor shed lol

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The first time I did a clutch on the srt4, the how to wasn't up yet, or maybe I was too ignorant of its existence. Anyway, we didn't have a tranny jack, just two floor jacks. It took a day and a half of wtf do we do next? Or, how do we get that off?

Second time was 4 1/2 hours with the help of a fellow srt4 owner in a driveway

Reactions: AlmightyFork

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
I'm honestly surprised how easily the transmission goes back in. I spent years working with the 2.2 and 2.5 na and turbos, holy crapola those transmissions are a pain to get in correctly. I imagine the clutch design makes it easier, but still. I can remember working in December with my dad, swear words flowing, trying to rock the engine and tranny, going up and down with both jacks, then suddenly you'd get that hollow metal to metal sound... FINALLY. But only after freezing our asses off for a couple hours on that damn dirt floor shed lol
there's a trick I learned a long time ago.
if you haven't already got one, get a pair of long bolts with the correct threads to fit the engine bell housing area, like the kind that come with an engine stand.
use them as really long dowels to help align the transmission before you send it home.

Reactions: AlmightyFork

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had issues with putting the tranny in as well. I had the luxury of a transmission jack albeit not a very good one. That t-850 has a lot of weight toward the differential area. It would lean in that direction so I could not line it up. I was able to thread in the one bolt that lined up with a hole. I didn't thread it all the way in. After that I was able to swing the tranny upward to line up with another bolt hole. After the second one. The rest after that went in easy. I'm lucky I didn't tighten the bolts all the way because the transmission was going in a little crooked. I had to wiggle it a bit to line it up, then I could tighten the bolts to spec.

·
Super Moderator
16,791 Posts
Well, my sunroof failed tonight, I have rarely ever even used it, but went to open it, it opens about a half inch and stops, that's it, just popped up, won't go far enough to actually open, at least it's not stuck open and I can close it.

I'll have to figure out what is wrong now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got another speeding ticket doing 90 in a 65 on the highway. It’s a good thing he didn’t catch me when I was doing 130. So thats what I’ve done

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I don't get out much these days, but the occasional delivery driver shows up when one of my garage doors is up, and inevitably after we stop grinning over the SRT8, the real car guys end up fawning over the SRT-4.

Accidentally made my delivery guy late today for his next stop talking his ear off about the '4. The wife was wondering what was taking so long and pulled up the garage cameras and was about to text me before we realized a two-minute chat had devolved into a 10-minute show-and-tell. :D Sorry delivery guy, but you were asking a million questions. I promise we'll go see the other SRT-4 in the shop next time you're by.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Well, my sunroof failed tonight, I have rarely ever even used it, but went to open it, it opens about a half inch and stops, that's it, just popped up, won't go far enough to actually open, at least it's not stuck open and I can close it.

I'll have to figure out what is wrong now.
I thought the sunroof in my press car was dead; no activation, nothing. Had a spare motor and switch ready to go. I even considered pulling the fuse and just leaving it closed until the end of known time.

Imagine my surprise when I was idly fiddling with the switch the other day and the damned thing opened and closed... properly and completely.

Now I'm terrified to open it again.

22661 - 22680 of 22681 Posts