Dodge SRT Forum banner
22441 - 22459 of 22459 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Even after that set back, I pressed on. Didn’t run into any other issues until I went to prime the fuel system and my 2nd pump (Bosch 044 that feeds the engine) wouldn’t come on. This pump isn’t very old but feels like it’s locked up. It’s getting power but just getting hot instead of spinning. I pulled out the old 044 I kept and put it in place and got the car started. I have the newer 044 soaking in wd40 and I’ll try it again tomorrow. Hopefully I didn’t burn it up while I was troubleshooting. The old pump, while working, is leaking fuel ever so slightly from the worst possible place…. The positive battery connection. Of all places to leak…..

The car started up fine without issue and isn’t throwing any codes (yet). I let it idle until it warmed up. The valve train sounds a bit noisier than it should, but I’m hoping once a couple miles are out on it, it’ll quiet down. I did prime the oil system before I started the motor.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
I guess you've already got the head done.
(big valves, better retainers etc).
And 7K+ RPM with turbo to feed that.
Actually I don’t. My top end is 100% stock. I realize any smim won’t really benefit much because of this. Which is another reason I’m torn on buying such an expensive piece.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Done so much work. Dont remember if I posted this or not. If I did just ignore it. But got the pass side done. Now going to do the driver side. Might just pull the gearset from the red Srt since DCR has shown to be a hassle to deal with.
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Gas Engineering

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Vehicle brake Gas

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Actually I don’t. My top end is 100% stock. I realize any smim won’t really benefit much because of this. Which is another reason I’m torn on buying such an expensive piece.
Yeah, an SMIM and all the trimings to take advantage of it would be an expensive proposition.

So a decent replacement stock IM would be cost effective, if you can find one.

Alternatively, you could try fabricating a nice mild steel brace which would use the existing mounting bolt holes (but use studs instead). The brace would evenly snug down the entire IM even at the ends.

Could be an interesting project with some cardboard templates to come up with a semicircle encircling part of each runner where it enters the mounting plate.

A Hondata or similar thick gasket and you'd be all set.

I think someone else on here made such a brace for their SRT-4.
I thought it was a clever idea.
But that was many moons ago.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Yeah, an SMIM and all the trimings to take advantage of it would be an expensive proposition.

So a decent replacement stock IM would be cost effective, if you can find one.

Alternatively, you could try fabricating a nice mild steel brace which would use the existing mounting bolt holes (but use studs instead). The brace would evenly snug down the entire IM even at the ends.

Could be an interesting project with some cardboard templates to come up with a semicircle encircling part of each runner where it enters the mounting plate.

A Hondata or similar thick gasket and you'd be all set.

I think someone else on here made such a brace for their SRT-4.
I thought it was a clever idea.
But that was many moons ago.

Good luck.
That is an interesting idea. And adding to that, if you came off the right side a bit you could have a place to mount the FPR without having it on the fuel rail like so many people do.... hmm... ideas...

For now though, my car is running and running quite well. I drove it around a bit yesterday. Not boosting yet because i havent finished hooking up all the vacuum lines to the FPR and boost controller. A boost leak test will be the true test of whether or not my manifold is leaking.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Used intake manifolds are pretty common on the FB groups. There are several SRT-4 junkyards where you can get pretty much any part you need. I would stick with stock unless you are pushing toward 600+whp

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Used intake manifolds are pretty common on the FB groups. There are several SRT-4 junkyards where you can get pretty much any part you need. I would stick with stock unless you are pushing toward 600+whp
Agreed. But some folks have $$$ tied up in their stock IM (porting, powdercoating) and it would be a shame to junk it just because the end ear snapped off. So they may want to try and salvage it as best they can. And maybe do something additional, as Shelby mentioned with the FPR mount. Of course, it's more work ... or is it fun?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Agreed. But some folks have $$$ tied up in their stock IM (porting, powdercoating) and it would be a shame to junk it just because the end ear snapped off. So they may want to try and salvage it as best they can. And maybe do something additional, as Shelby mentioned with the FPR mount. Of course, it's more work ... or is it fun?
Assuming its just the ear, possibly use some JB weld and a washer?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
find a good welder and let them try putting it back on?

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
It's 100% stock other than being powdercoated and having one of the nipples welded shut.

·
Registered
04 dodge srt4 stage1
61 Posts
..emptied my catch can, got a cool built in drain lever on the underside!, was like a qtr full. Also pulled th steering wheel column cover to check out the headlight switch, to see how it comes out. Deff gonna have to start that job earlier in the day as it is getting dark at 430 pm now...uggh,,

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
..emptied my catch can, got a cool built in drain lever on the underside!, was like a qtr full. Also pulled th steering wheel column cover to check out the headlight switch, to see how it comes out. Deff gonna have to start that job earlier in the day as it is getting dark at 430 pm now...uggh,,
Yes, that ones got a bunch of wires.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

22441 - 22459 of 22459 Posts