Dodge SRT Forum banner
22241 - 22260 of 22263 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Green car has an engine!
Yellow car seems to have gotten the belt tension right hahahaha. I drove it for an hour yesterday and it didnt fry the belt, man it's way tighter than I thought, but it strums per the manual.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
So, a quick 1000 mile tire review.

Falken Azenis RT660, 225/45R17, on a set of SSR Comp C 17x7.5 wheels.
OEM 16 year old suspension, with upgraded sway bars and bushings, soild LCA kit, front and rear strut braces. 46k miles on the car now.

Right off the bat, these tires are ridiculously sticky. Depending on road surface conditions, they will be amazingly loud with the windows down. Windows up and you don't hear it.
They are sensitive to starting tire pressures and overall alignment.
That all being said... ho... lee... ****
I've only done street driving so far, but the apparent level of grip afforded by these things, is far beyond what even spirited driving will generally command of a tire. With my previous set of tires (Hankook RS3, 225/45/17) I ran the car with 34psi front, 36psi rear, zero toe front and back, and a touch of negative camber all around. These RT660s... don't do that. STOCK alignment spec all around, 32psi front and 28psi rear is what makes them happiest and the car stupidly neutral. The rears are super sensitive to pressure, and just 4 more psi in the back had the car tail nervous. With things dialed in though, it's honestly scary to try and explore the limits of grip on public roads, they're that high. Unfortunately a track day doesn't appear in the cards this year, so I won't be able to report on that. Wet weather, I'm sad to report that for only the 6th or 7th time since i've owned the car, it got rained on, and it was damn near a monsoon. However I CAN report that, even in such extreme wet conditions, the tires acquitted themselves admirably. I never felt unsafe at posted speed limits, and braking performance was as expected.

Overall, would definitely buy again.

Reactions: lilviper

·
Super Moderator
16,153 Posts
Big update time. #novel

So, I've been quietly building replacement suspension for my red press car, since it's broke AF. It's also the last thing before I can start daily-ing it to work out any other bugs. All I had left was the rear strut mounts and an isolator (I already had one), both showing in-stock @ Modern. I had a month left in my old house, lots of time to get them in and get them installed, right?

That is not what happened.

Getting OEM Mopar strut mounts and spring isolators turned into a multi-month nightmare. Modern had them in-stock on the website (mmm... pricy OEM strut mounts), so I tossed them in the cart along with the single OEM rear spring isolator. Paid for express shipping to Canadaland.

After my order circled the globe at least twice, and took twice as long as standard shipping, imagine my surprise when I open the box and am greeted with Moog mounts and a front lower isolator. WTF.

Of course, this is during the last few weeks in our old place in the lower mainland, before we moved. Modern said the mounts are disco'ed, so I'm SOL there (a refund on the difference between the OEMs and the Moogs would have been nice though), and after I reiterated that I was moving, and gave them the new address both over the phone and email, the single OEM spring isolator they were able to find was shipped... to my old address. Fuck. That was a battle getting it from the new owners; they turned out to be monumental assholes.

Anyways, got all my stuff right? Ready to do surgery on the red press car and get the 'ole girl back on the road again, right?! AFTER FOUR YEARS!

Wrong.

Nailed a big pothole on the way up to my new house while travelling up there in the silver SRT-4 jammed full of stuff, big bubble on the new tire I put on. Road-hazard-warranty took care of it's replacement (I had bought a set of Conti winters and put a whopping 500 kms on those tires. Yes, five-hundred.). But the rear suspension started squeaking, my new(ish) front bearing now had play, and I suspected a slightly bent strut to top it all off... I decided to say fuck it and completely replace the suspension on the silver SRT-4. Ordered the entire fronts and whatever else I needed to complete the rear set I already built for the red press car from Rock Auto, but reused my Stage 1 springs. Car had 170,000kms on it, so new suspension was on the list anyways. Besides... won't be able to buy new OEM struts for much longer me thinks.

Also, pulled the trigger on 4x Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s in stock size on the PT GT Empire rims. They look and handle sexy as hell, and I cannot recommend them enough. They're miles ahead of the Continental Extreme Contact DWSs, and much quieter than the AS3s on the SRT8.

View attachment 147635

View attachment 147636

View attachment 147637

View attachment 147640

When this is done in about 2 weeks then I install the second set of OEM SRT-4 suspension I got my grubby little hands on into the red press car.

View attachment 147641

Yes. I built a detached shop (already have an attached 2-car garage) strictly for my SRTs.

4-post lift should be here start of next month.

#idontfuckaround
Wow, that garage will be nice.

Are you going OEM on suspension parts? I went with the poly all around, along with new OEM struts, and have been extremely happy thus far.

·
Super Moderator
16,153 Posts
Well, pulled the gear selector lid on the transmission today.

20210725_172215.jpg

If you know what you are looking at, you'll immediately see it LOL.

I knew from reading here that this just about had to be exactly what it was. The piece that broke off fell on top of the forks and seemed to be slightly wedged, keeping the right side (from front of engine) selector from moving. I used a magnetic stick to pull the piece out, didn't want to chance using my fingers.

Emailed FWD to see how quick I can get a replacement forged AGP selector switch, we have our big car show locally this weekend, it's one block from my house.

I suppose I could always just push my car there early in the morning before anyone gets there, get the best spot in the show LOL.

·
Super Moderator
16,153 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention, I don't know how you guys are able to pull this cover with the transmission all the way up in place, I couldn't get the rear bolt out, and because I've got the transmission inserts, the bolt directly under the transmission mount was also wedged. Ended up pulling the driver's front tire, then lowering the transmission about 1.5" and that was the fix I needed. I have the jack under there now but I think the weight is also resting on my H-brace.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Another P0441 today.
So that's 3 out of the last 3 CEL's.
Pretty sure the Purge Valve is the culprit.
Lots of short trips.
Heat bubble hot recently.

·
Super Moderator
16,153 Posts
And we are back on the road... it's rather funny to be creeping around the town, then out on the highway, gingerly increasing speed, switching gears, downshifting, then after about 15 minutes, come screaming back into town with a little more thorough shake-down. Still, even the idea of hard shifting scares the snit out of me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
And we are back on the road... it's rather funny to be creeping around the town, then out on the highway, gingerly increasing speed, switching gears, downshifting, then after about 15 minutes, come screaming back into town with a little more thorough shake-down. Still, even the idea of hard shifting scares the snit out of me.
Was the AGP shift selector an upgrade on the transmission you purchased? Or was it a replacement for an AGP that failed?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Replaced the left rear brake pads. Now I can go in reverse! 😁 Then I drive it for the first time in 3 weeks. Felt good.
The drum pads ordered from Autozone were the wrong size. Didn't need them anyway so just got a refund.

·
Super Moderator
16,153 Posts
Replaced the left rear brake pads. Now I can go in reverse! 😁 Then I drive it for the first time in 3 weeks. Felt good.
The drum pads ordered from Autozone were the wrong size. Didn't need them anyway so just got a refund.
Wooo those babies were needing replacement! Nice

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
08/03/2021 127,553 miles
Another P0441 today.
So that's 4 out of the last 3 CEL's.
They seem to be occurring more frequently.
This one today.
I had just cleared the previous occurrence just yesterday.
Only went to the Vista Club for Guitar Club yesterday.
Then today, drove to Rio Vista today for a haircut.
The P0441 occurred as soon as I started up to go home.
CEL would not clear via Aeroforce.
Will try and clear it tomorrow.

I'm worried somone else may WOT with the stock 03 pink injectors, PCM, MAP, TIP.
So I'll throw in the spare S1 injectors I have.
Then drive it a while. before talking to James at Rio Vista Auto.
Yeah, I'll pay someone else to replace the Purge Valve, it's just too hard to get at without a lift.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
08/03/2021 127,553 miles
Another P0441 today.
So that's 4 out of the last 3 CEL's.
They seem to be occurring more frequently.
This one today.
I had just cleared the previous occurrence just yesterday.
Only went to the Vista Club for Guitar Club yesterday.
Then today, drove to Rio Vista today for a haircut.
The P0441 occurred as soon as I started up to go home.
CEL would not clear via Aeroforce.
Will try and clear it tomorrow.

I'm worried somone else may WOT with the stock 03 pink injectors, PCM, MAP, TIP.
So I'll throw in the spare S1 injectors I have.
Then drive it a while. before talking to James at Rio Vista Auto.
Yeah, I'll pay someone else to replace the Purge Valve, it's just too hard to get at without a lift.
watch its a cracked hose. lol.

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
Been driving the piss out of it the past couple of days. Beautiful weather means I love taking it out. Still has a little bit of a stumble at part throttle at around 3,000 rpm. I need to get the trinity to reset everything back the stock, but it's throwing some kind of weird error message.

·
Super Moderator
16,153 Posts
Been driving the piss out of it the past couple of days. Beautiful weather means I love taking it out. Still has a little bit of a stumble at part throttle at around 3,000 rpm. I need to get the trinity to reset everything back the stock, but it's throwing some kind of weird error message.
I won first 1985-2005 Stock category Sunday, now I'm looking at another show "Hot Cars Under The Stars" at the local Harley dealership this Saturday 5-9pm

So even though it is beautiful out, I refuse to drive because I don't want to get it dirty before then hahaha.

But, maybe I should, because I made a purchase today...

McGuire's Black.jpg

I've been using Meguires for several years, but the dark red bottles. We'll see if I just got sucked in by the ultimate tag. It was like a lot more expensive, but heck, I don't think I buy wax but once every 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
watch its a cracked hose. lol.

Was able to clear the P0441 CEL just now using the Aeroforce ScanPro.
Evidently, it can only be cleared if I wait a couple of hours.
Not sure why this is but it's probably irrelevant.

I'm going to double-check the green Service Port cap to make sure it's on tight.
I had removed it for the smoke test but may have glorfed the re-install/tightening.
I will also disconnect/block off the Purge line at the solenoid and perform another smoke test.
To isolate the Purge Valve from the problem...
To see if it's a cracked hose...
But that may be may be trickly to detect...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Was able to clear the P0441 CEL just now using the Aeroforce ScanPro.
Evidently, it can only be cleared if I wait a couple of hours.
Not sure why this is but it's probably irrelevant.

I'm going to double-check the green Service Port cap to make sure it's on tight.
I had removed it for the smoke test but may have glorfed the re-install/tightening.
I will also disconnect/block off the Purge line at the solenoid and perform another smoke test.
To isolate the Purge Valve from the problem...
To see if it's a cracked hose...
But that may be may be trickly to detect...
If you dont have access to a garage or bright lights, lasers work really well it can be really hard to see.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
If you dont have access to a garage or bright lights, lasers work really well it can be really hard to see.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I do have a grage, bright lights but no laser so I may look into one of those.
They key thing for me is to be patient and allow the smoke test to run for a long time.
Maybe 2-3 hours.
I didn't really give it enough time before my compressor, now fixed, quit in the middle of the test.

22241 - 22260 of 22263 Posts