Dodge SRT Forum banner
22141 - 22160 of 22245 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Got a PLX AFR gauge and I'll probably install a Walbro 525. Had to buy some 24.5" slicks. They sat in the trunk for almost 2 years freezing and roasting in various shop parking lots. I wondered where they were until I asked Nigel to check.

·
Registered
988 Posts
NICE!!! Assuming that big nut allows for a lot of travel to adjust?
The big nut in the middle is attached with green locktite, which allows the whole rod to turn, giving me ~1/2" travel. up or down. the only wild card is how strong rivnuts are. if they fail, I can just install a blind nut in it's place.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,102 Posts
Tires aren't arriving at the tire shop till Thursday or Friday.

I'm going to be giving them clear instructions to not touch ANYTHING on the alignment, suspension, bushings, nothing except putting tires on wheels and wheels back on the car.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
I replaced the thermostat last week but the car started overheating again today.
Oh, I see now. New fans ordered and arriving tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
Just pmed mad dog to say if he's still doing shifters or not. Think I want to pick up a 50% to try out in place of a 58.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
I can report that the falcon rt660 tires in 225/45 r17 size running on a 7.5" wheel are fucking amazing. Some of it might go down to the fact that the wheels are a set of SSR comp c and that the shop that installed them listened and set them up with the yellow dots at the valve stems. Three of the tires have quarter of an ounce total weight and one has no weight at all to be balanced. The shop also did a fantastic job on the alignment, which some will find surprising considering it's Firestone and I have the lifetime alignment program for this car. I can tell you right now that at speeds in excess of 110 miles an hour the car is Rock solid, insanely stable, and sticky like you wouldn't believe. Now I just need to do a little touch-up maintenance, as it's breaking up a bit under boost. Also I switched off of the boost box control for the time being to make drivability a bit more enjoyable. I am however missing the 26 PSI setting over the 19th the stock computer seems to be staying at.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
Also, I'm back to considering figuring out if I can do a sunroof delete for my car. I wonder where I would pick up the appropriate headliner, filler panel and how it would be attached and sealed to the roof. It's about the only regret that I have, and not getting a non sunroof version, simply because I fit better in the car especially with the helmet on. Looking at it, do I need to replace the b-pillar covers if I were to change the headliner?

·
Super Moderator
16,102 Posts
Got a call, tires came in today. Took the car in at 3pm to get the tires put on, got it back at 4:30.

So, I must admit, because i had a bad experience with this shop about 5 or 6 years ago, I marked my valve stems, thinking they'd short me by keeping the same ones on.

Nope, they replaced them all around. And the guy that worked with me was actually a pretty decent guy. He was like "I didn't think any decent Neons were left, much less SRT4s, that is a really well taken care of car", then proceeded to make sure I knew the wheels have a few light scratches here and there, I suppose because he was scared I'd claim they did it LOL.

20210623 New Tires 1.jpg
A different guy drove the car out, likely the installer, so I went out to look at my valve stems (heh heh, because, of course I did), and he got out "Is that a stock clutch?" Nope, stage 3 aftermarket "Oh crap I was going to say, it grabs way different." Then the manager came out and semi-scolded the guy and told him to get back in and get to work, oh well.

It was 768.46 total 152.99 per tire (X4 for 611.96) 22 dollars per for install (88 total), stupid state tire tax at a dollar a tire (4), used tire disposal (3X4 for 12 bucks) along with tax to get the total. The drive home was quiet, but it will take a few more miles to get a feel for the tires. They seem to have a little more roll to them but I know a new tire needs to be broken in a little bit before you can really see how they perform.

20210623 New Tires 3.jpg
I can't get used to how this looks quite yet... so odd to see somewhat "normal" looking tires on her. These tires seem just a little wider, with a bit more of a bulge out from the wheel bead itself, which isn't a bad thing, a little more protection against curb rash.

20210623 New Tires 2.jpg
And... this is it, the last KDW-2 I'll own. It's been a long fun ride, just over 80k miles on 3 sets of them. I had them install this on one of my 2 spare rims I bought for 50 bucks way back in 2007. The shop didn't even charge me for mounting/balancing this tire. I am giving some serious thought to cleaning up the rubber really good and then using a lugnut with the chrome cover removed, and a long lag bolt through the middle of the lugnut, and screwing the tire against the wall LOL. hey, maybe even pop the middle cap and turn it into a clock? haha

I'm going to take the car out tonite, because, of course I would. I want to head over to the interstate and up to one of the cloverleaf exits and just start doing a few figure 8's to get a feel for the tires. :) More to come.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
mine only see stock wheels when the car goes in for storage. and they're the OEM wheels and tires it was delivered with. :D

·
Registered
988 Posts
Also, I'm back to considering figuring out if I can do a sunroof delete for my car. I wonder where I would pick up the appropriate headliner, filler panel and how it would be attached and sealed to the roof. It's about the only regret that I have, and not getting a non sunroof version, simply because I fit better in the car especially with the helmet on. Looking at it, do I need to replace the b-pillar covers if I were to change the headliner?
they come out of a standard neon, i dont think you need new B pillar stuff..

the roof is also the same, any body shop can weld a new panel in.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Got a call, tires came in today. Took the car in at 3pm to get the tires put on, got it back at 4:30.

So, I must admit, because i had a bad experience with this shop about 5 or 6 years ago, I marked my valve stems, thinking they'd short me by keeping the same ones on.

Nope, they replaced them all around. And the guy that worked with me was actually a pretty decent guy. He was like "I didn't think any decent Neons were left, much less SRT4s, that is a really well taken care of car", then proceeded to make sure I knew the wheels have a few light scratches here and there, I suppose because he was scared I'd claim they did it LOL.

View attachment 147476
A different guy drove the car out, likely the installer, so I went out to look at my valve stems (heh heh, because, of course I did), and he got out "Is that a stock clutch?" Nope, stage 3 aftermarket "Oh crap I was going to say, it grabs way different." Then the manager came out and semi-scolded the guy and told him to get back in and get to work, oh well.

It was 768.46 total 152.99 per tire (X4 for 611.96) 22 dollars per for install (88 total), stupid state tire tax at a dollar a tire (4), used tire disposal (3X4 for 12 bucks) along with tax to get the total. The drive home was quiet, but it will take a few more miles to get a feel for the tires. They seem to have a little more roll to them but I know a new tire needs to be broken in a little bit before you can really see how they perform.

View attachment 147477
I can't get used to how this looks quite yet... so odd to see somewhat "normal" looking tires on her. These tires seem just a little wider, with a bit more of a bulge out from the wheel bead itself, which isn't a bad thing, a little more protection against curb rash.

View attachment 147478
And... this is it, the last KDW-2 I'll own. It's been a long fun ride, just over 80k miles on 3 sets of them. I had them install this on one of my 2 spare rims I bought for 50 bucks way back in 2007. The shop didn't even charge me for mounting/balancing this tire. I am giving some serious thought to cleaning up the rubber really good and then using a lugnut with the chrome cover removed, and a long lag bolt through the middle of the lugnut, and screwing the tire against the wall LOL. hey, maybe even pop the middle cap and turn it into a clock? haha

I'm going to take the car out tonite, because, of course I would. I want to head over to the interstate and up to one of the cloverleaf exits and just start doing a few figure 8's to get a feel for the tires. :) More to come.
wow, those dont look right hahahahah..

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Neons are a bitch to get the air out of. level surfaces are required. but have you checked the relay?

I don't know if you could see the video, but the driver's side fan is physically broken. Just flopping around loose in the shroud. Lol
Might need a relay too though.

·
Super Moderator
16,102 Posts
wow, those dont look right hahahahah..

PFFFFFFT... so far they seem pretty good.

I went out in the city and did about 35 miles tonight, I realize they probably need more break in as stated, so this will just be the initial thoughts, all in comparison with the KDW-2 tires.

Far quieter and smoother ride. I usually ride around in the evening with windows and sunroof open, but I buttoned everything up and ran the AC for a bit to start off. Took her to 60 mph down the highway and put cruise control on, as I hit areas of the road that were a little rougher, I braced like I normally would but it was like nothing, really smooth. I found myself no longer even trying to steer around cracks that I would have with the stock tires, because these seem to absorb so much. Kept the radio off so I could just listen, it was SO WEIRD not having that drone of tire noise, just the exhaust purring away.

Braking is going to take a little getting used to also. I feel like it brakes faster, but it seems so much smoother. I didn't really try an emergency lane change type braking maneuver, there was too much traffic around and I didn't want to have to lie to a cop of I got pulled over "You didn't see that cat???" but I wonder if that will be an area where the response will be a little less than the stock tires.

On corners such as on and off cloverleaf ramps, again, it is going to take some getting used to. It almost seems like the car wants to push the front tires, where as before it was always the backend trying to swing out on me. So far it's not like "yikes" or anything, just... different. I feel like the grip is there even though it's not quite as stiff? A little bit of squeal but again, we'll see if that changes too once they are broken in.

Bumps seemed to float a bit, lost traction in second at one point going through an intersection, but I feel like I may have just hit a section that would have done the same thing with the stock tires.

It will be interesting how it is going down the interstate at 80mph... certain types of roadway material were nearly unbearable with the stock tires, as most of you already know. I won't know what to do with only the Borla exhaust drowning my hearing out LOL

Still though, looking at the tires, keep thinking they should be on a BMW or Porsche or something LOL. Too clean and proper

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Pulled mine out of storage and brought it home so I can drive it a bit... also logged in here since it's been since 2018.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
created struts to hold the rear diffuser and rivnutted the back. That ought to hold it so it doesnt crack my bumper again.

Need more jamb nuts

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
118 Posts
I can report that the falcon rt660 tires in 225/45 r17 size running on a 7.5" wheel are fucking amazing. Some of it might go down to the fact that the wheels are a set of SSR comp c and that the shop that installed them listened and set them up with the yellow dots at the valve stems. Three of the tires have quarter of an ounce total weight and one has no weight at all to be balanced. The shop also did a fantastic job on the alignment, which some will find surprising considering it's Firestone and I have the lifetime alignment program for this car. I can tell you right now that at speeds in excess of 110 miles an hour the car is Rock solid, insanely stable, and sticky like you wouldn't believe. Now I just need to do a little touch-up maintenance, as it's breaking up a bit under boost. Also I switched off of the boost box control for the time being to make drivability a bit more enjoyable. I am however missing the 26 PSI setting over the 19th the stock computer seems to be staying at.
Is it true the Falken rt660 are a little wider than usual? Say the 235/40 in the 660 are wider than a different tire that’s 235/40 as well?

22141 - 22160 of 22245 Posts