Dodge SRT Forum banner

21741 - 21760 of 21765 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's been a while since I've been on. Let me recap my last few months.

Shit ton of work and side work. Many household projects.

Luckily, the side work was enough for me to get a big turbo setup, complete fuel system, mount inserts, 3 bar sensors, and a better clutch. Got the turbo kit installed, drove it a few times on 4 psi, only hit boost once or twice over the course of a month or two.

Parked it once I got my jeep running and started installing my fuel system and clutch. Upon trying to get the trans back in I noticed the mount (with new inserts) wouldn't fit. Noticed the 4th mount was destroyed. Broke many torx bits trying to get the bolt out. Tried to move the engine/trans over, then one of the mount to body bolts snapped.

Pulled the engine/trans and now I'm waiting on the new mount. Cleaning up wiring and re-wrapping the engine harness while everything is out.

Can't wait for my injectors and tune!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just installed the WOT box, found previous owners awesome wiring had to pull it all out and re do it. Gott an oil leak I can’t find on the pass side by the cams. Almost done with phase one, waiting on the trinity! Then I hope the tracks finally open.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Well I'm almost ready to partout like everyone else. Changed out the crankshaft seal and it blew immediately on startup. I don't believe it's crankwalk, should I just take it to a mechanic/dealer? I've read some things about a cracked oil pump or a relief valve stuck shut. I'm not sure how to test any of this. I'm afraid to get shafted. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Dang, that's awful. I'd pull that motor out and go through it probably. You could just pull the oil pump and check, but I dont know what you would see or what you could test to know if it was bad. You would probably have to swap it to check.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just installed t2, believe it or not I was able to data log. Car is hard to drive in 1st, pulls hard in 2nd and 3rd. Need some track time!! Don’t know how accurate everything is from the t2 but pretty bad ass. I’m hooked now. Time to break some stuff!!

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Well I'm almost ready to partout like everyone else. Changed out the crankshaft seal and it blew immediately on startup. I don't believe it's crankwalk, should I just take it to a mechanic/dealer? I've read some things about a cracked oil pump or a relief valve stuck shut. I'm not sure how to test any of this. I'm afraid to get shafted. What would you guys do?
to me it would seem, if you're blowing out a seal, you have too much pressure.

At that location i feel like you only have two options for the culprit:
  1. PCV or related item
  2. oil pump or related item
I haven't heard of crankwalk being an issue on these motors.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I can blow through the pcv and check valve just fine. Ive had that check valve on my car since I bought it. I thought I had a what if moment, but no. Functioning normal. I called the dealer in ontario, ca and they said all the srt4 mechanics are all long gone and retired. They won't do any bottom or top end work. R&R block only. Jeez, man. batting zero here.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
If it blew out on start up, then PCV valve/check valve would have to be blocked along with the port on the driver's side I would think. So, oil pump or that crank is moving around a lot. Have you done compression and leakdown?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have not. If that seal is blown out can I even do those tests? I have both tools.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
I don't know how bad the oil loss is with that out. As long as you keep oil in the car it would be ok. I guess it would be messy no matter what. I don't know, maybe someone with more experience could chime in here. Also, it would be better if the engine was warm when you did it, but I'd hate to put it at risk to warm it up.

The reason I ask is what if the ring integrity is so bad that you are pumping up the crankcase to the point that the pcv and other vent aren't even enough to release the pressure.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
I've been doing some research and pressure is not likely to pop the seal out if the mechanical tolerances of the seal opening are correct.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Do you guys think I just messed up putting the seal in? I don't see it moving when I push the clutch pedal. I can post a high quality video for you guys.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Yeah, I wish I could see what's going on. After thinking about it and doing some research, I think high oil pressure would make it leak past the seal, not pop out. Maybe the seating surface is wrecked.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Maybe try some rtv on the outside part of the seal. i had a leaking axle seal. Replace twice with oem, still leaked. Third time rtv on outside. No more leaks.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Maybe try some rtv on the outside part of the seal. i had a leaking axle seal. Replace twice with oem, still leaked. Third time rtv on outside. No more leaks.
good to know. i have one leaking now. I've been too lazy to get under there and fix it even though i have an OEM seal here waiting...

·
Registered
502 Posts
good to know. i have one leaking now. I've been too lazy to get under there and fix it even though i have an OEM seal here waiting...
Make sure not to apply too much. I put a very small amount around the seal. I drained my tranny fluid and I made sure the sealing surface was free of fluid.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Funny you guys say that. 1lapsrt reccomends using black rtv on his axle seals. I did use black rtv and the car sat a good week and a half before I started it. Maybe I used too much? Yes it was an OEM seal. I think ill buy another and buy the seal install tool. There's always the chance i installed it incorrectly. I used brake cleaner with paper towels over and over until the paper towels were clean. the surface looked okay.

21741 - 21760 of 21765 Posts