Dodge SRT Forum banner

21581 - 21588 of 21588 Posts

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
My power steering pump pulley decided to shatter into a million pieces on the way to work on Thursday...it was fun spending the rest of the day driving in traffic and parking lots without power steering. I drove back by the spot it happened later in the day, and there was my belt snapped in half. I wonder if the pump seized up, because it's been super noisy since I got the car. Anyway pics of the old and the new with the cleaned up reservoir ready to go in are attached. You can see the metal pulley center there with just a small piece of plastic in the groove. Excuse the super dusty/dirty engine bay...you can't avoid it, it's everywhere.
Power_steering_pump_old_s.jpg
Power_steering_pump_new_s.jpg

While re-installing the pump I got the high pressure side line in finger tight (I thought) and started to turn it with a wrench...snap! I messed up the first thread because it was in crooked. Doh! I'm a dope. Why is that thing made out of aluminum!? Ahhhh!

Anyway, I found a tap and die set that matches the threads (16 mm x 1.5) by removing the connection on the high pressure side with a 24mm socket and taking that down to the hardware store. I ran the tap in the threads and cleaned out all the paint on the new pump side and then used the die to run up and down the messed up aluminum line holder bolt (whatever you call that). Then I put the line into the input connector before I installed it into the pump and ran that in finger tight. I figured steel to steel would work better than the aluminum to steel that wrecked the first connector. It went right together no problem, plus I was super paranoid about cross threadage and it worked like it should.

I finally ordered all the parts to make this car have my favorite SRT-4 suspension (Koni inserts in stock struts, Mopar stage 1 springs, Hotchkis sways and all new strut mounting parts. I already have the Realtune solid LCA bushings). Bye bye clunking and groaning etc..

·
Registered
11,924 Posts
started dreaming about the parts I'm hopefully buying with all the plowing money i'm going to make this year, because we're gonna have a bad winter, hopefully. :D

since mopars are now unobtainium, what's the current group-think on track focused but still daily streetable coilovers.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I haven't liked the coilovers I've tried (kw v2, BC) for daily driving. I've driven in a mopar stage 3 coil over car a few times and those were nice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have BCs with camber plates front and rear. They're nice for the money, but they ride pretty damn stiff. On the plus side, they offer a ton of adjustability. They also weigh about 26 pounds less (total weight) than the factory setup. I suspect most coilovers will offer weight savings over the stock parts, but I found it to be a cool bonus.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ran over a concrete bock and creased the hot pipe. I will order a new AGP and an intermediate shaft, just in case. Have a motor to install in the electric cutout.2 studs seem to be bad and lug nuts damaged by dealer grease monkey going crazy with the air wrench. Took two men on a 4-way to get the nuts off.Discovered I can't get it on the trailer with slicks, and hurt my back changing tires.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Ran over a concrete bock and creased the hot pipe. I will order a new AGP and an intermediate shaft, just in case. Have a motor to install in the electric cutout.2 studs seem to be bad and lug nuts damaged by dealer grease monkey going crazy with the air wrench. Took two men on a 4-way to get the nuts off.Discovered I can't get it on the trailer with slicks, and hurt my back changing tires.
I have a set of boards i nailed together as ramps that i keep to help get our low cars onto trailers (my wifes car is also lowered). You may have to do something like that to make the angle better for loading.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Got a black 2005 a week ago with 146k. So far I have replaced the wipers, tires, a broken wheel stud and both tie rod ends. Just got the alignment done today, drives much better now.

21581 - 21588 of 21588 Posts