Dodge SRT Forum banner

21461 - 21480 of 21579 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
lol PTPTPTPTPTPTP. Who needs knock sensors on pump gas? Wussies!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
:)

Radiator burst. New radiator installed. Original radiator got eaten up by a valve cover bolt wedged and bounced around between the fan and radiator, probably dropped in there by the previous owner(s).

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
PTP rewire...yikes. One of those kits burned down a local car back in the day. We called it the PTPBBQOMGWTF mod. I'd get that sorted.
I have a hard time believing a Rewire caused a fire. Faulty installation... yes.

Anyways I just order the kinetic kit from modern along with a new wide band sensor for my AEM gauge. Mine stopped reading a little while before the car went down.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Silver car: sprayed the inside of the hood scoop matte black to hide the partial red from my donor car's original paint showing through. Did the crossover adjustment properly, and my 1st and reverse shifting issues are completely gone. No cold air from A/C; turns out the connection to the pump was broken, so a repair and recharge set me back a bit. With the exception of a new windshield, she's back to normal.

PT: new Cardone axles and seals are sitting here... eventually they'll go in, hopefully sooner rather than later. Click, click, click... I should probably do the timing belt too. Probably.

SRT8: tranny fluid replacement is next. 108k kms on her.

Now that my shifting issues on the silver car seem to be sorted... I can take the forged shift fork I just got from Modern, along with the Sachs clutch that's been sitting here for a few months... and I think it's time to get my red press car back on the road.

crossedfingers

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I have a hard time believing a Rewire caused a fire. Faulty installation... yes.

Anyways I just order the kinetic kit from modern along with a new wide band sensor for my AEM gauge. Mine stopped reading a little while before the car went down.
The kinetic re-wire kit is really nice. Plug and play and seemed to be made really well.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
The STs went to a good home; met another SRT-4 owner who seems as die-hard as I am. I can tell he's going to enjoy the major upgrade in performance handling he's about to experience.

... I'm already regretting selling them lol. Oh well, they would have just sat here until I blew something on the press car, pulled the stock+Stage 1s out of silver and played musical chairs with the suspension setups, keeping my press car bone stock. But then I would have pulled the Stage 1s back off.... no, no. This is best-case scenario.

Because now... now I can do the press car's CLUTCH install. Back on the road sooner rather than later I hope.

I also pulled the janky, cracked open, excessively worn, stock steering wheel off my press car and replaced it with a mint leather one from a regular Neon. Now I have to find an SRT-4 steering wheel. Makes me regret selling that OEM one I had, brand new, in the box, so many years ago.

Same problem I always have: I go searching the forums, and find threads I commented on or created. Sigh.

Goddamned (*&#$%(@*&#%@# Neons. I love you.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Apparently the connector harness for the air-conditioning compressor is made of unobtainium. Twice the correct part number was ordered, twice the wrong part showed up.

So much for taking my '4 on my road-trip this weekend.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Iv been battling a bad vibration the past month. It is very random and only happens on really smooth roads.

Turns out, brake issue... last night I got out to check things and the rotor was glowing.

Its always something, 1 step forward and 2 steps back on this thing. I honestly think letting it sit all the time hurts more than driving it haha

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Iv been battling a bad vibration the past month. It is very random and only happens on really smooth roads.

Turns out, brake issue... last night I got out to check things and the rotor was glowing.

Its always something, 1 step forward and 2 steps back on this thing. I honestly think letting it sit all the time hurts more than driving it haha
Cars and boats especially tend to rot if you let them sit for too long.
They also become "barn sour" as in horses who completely ignore their rider and run back home when they catch a glimpse of their barn.
Best thing to do is drive it a few miles every few days.

Glad you found a problem with the brakes before you really needed them in an emergency situation!
Brakes are important. Not having them when you need them can be stressful. I've got the scars to prove it!

·
Administrator
38,890 Posts

Easiest way to tell if it's a brake drag is to throw it in neutral and see how quickly you lose speed.

Consider that caliper toast, as well as the bearing. The pad may be glazed but coarse sandpaper can clean it up.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
A/C shop ended up going the extra mile and got me on the road. A/C worked like a charm the whole way.

Now that I'm here, of course I have the "compressor disengages at idle" issue. I suspect it's overheating as I can hear a brief purge when I start moving and get the RPMs up. Matches what I've seen on a few forum posts.

I think what I'm going to try is lowering the high speed fan trigger speeds by about 10 degrees. Short of permanently wiring up a "high-speed fan always on" switch, not much else I can do on the road.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Easiest way to tell if it's a brake drag is to throw it in neutral and see how quickly you lose speed.

Consider that caliper toast, as well as the bearing. The pad may be glazed but coarse sandpaper can clean it up.
Cars and boats especially tend to rot if you let them sit for too long.
They also become "barn sour" as in horses who completely ignore their rider and run back home when they catch a glimpse of their barn.
Best thing to do is drive it a few miles every few days.

Glad you found a problem with the brakes before you really needed them in an emergency situation!
Brakes are important. Not having them when you need them can be stressful. I've got the scars to prove it!
Thanks guys. I haventy taken it apart yet but I will this week. The odd thing was that the rotor was only orange in 1 spot, instead of the whole thing. Looked like the shape of the caliper.

Since youre saying bearing, I wanted to ask a question - Iv read something in the past about a ground wire ran to the hub. Supposedly it has to do with static w the wheel bearing? Im just curious about it...

This issue I have is on the driver side and the ground to the hub seems fine. However, the pass side ground it broken so I am just curious about it. If I have to do breaks or bearings ill do both sides and fix that wire.

·
Administrator
38,890 Posts
That sounds more like really bad pad deposits or warped rotors (which is very rare for thse cars) causing the pads to only hit at one spot, which causes the vibrations.

The ground wire can be problem, but not fully documented as a definite cause of premature wear.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That sounds more like really bad pad deposits or warped rotors (which is very rare for thse cars) causing the pads to only hit at one spot, which causes the vibrations.

The ground wire can be problem, but not fully documented as a definite cause of premature wear.
My thoughts as well on the rotors. I appreciate the chat about it, eventually everything on the car will be new but its definitely forcing me to rebuild the way it sees fit haha

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
i received the kinetic fuel pump rewire and AEM wideband sensor from modern. I put the new sensor in and the wideband still isn't reading (it just shows 14.7 at all times). so there must be a wiring issue there as well. damn... We are expected to have rain for the next week, so idk when i'll get to swapping to the new re-wire, but i'll take some pictures to compare.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i received the kinetic fuel pump rewire and AEM wideband sensor from modern. I put the new sensor in and the wideband still isn't reading (it just shows 14.7 at all times). so there must be a wiring issue there as well. damn... We are expected to have rain for the next week, so idk when i'll get to swapping to the new re-wire, but i'll take some pictures to compare.
Just a heads up in case you weren’t aware....a few years back, AEM updated their wideband sensors and gauges. The new ones are not compatible with the older models. So if you have an older gauge but bought the newer sensor, they won’t function properly.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Just a heads up in case you weren’t aware....a few years back, AEM updated their wideband sensors and gauges. The new ones are not compatible with the older models. So if you have an older gauge but bought the newer sensor, they won’t function properly.
i'm aware, but thanks. The plug changed also, and i'm pretty sure the new sensor wont plug into the old harness. Mine is older and i purchased the correct sensor.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Finally got around to polishing up my intercooler yesterday and then put the bumper back on. I was going to post pictures but the forums seem to be acting up today.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Fan speed change seems to have resolved the A/C cycling at idle issue.

1st and reverse occasional difficulties are back though.

Guess my press car isn't going on the road this year. And after all the comments about cars sitting...

21461 - 21480 of 21579 Posts