Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum is for discussion on maintenence and modification of 420A powerplants only (the 2.0 and 2.4 versions that come in the Neon, ptcruiser, stratus, cirrus, breeze, 2gnt eclipse, 2gnt talon, avenger, and sebring, and whatever else I may have forgotten). I won't answer all of the questions because I don't know all of the answers, but with as many people as we will have, most of the questions about the motors will be answered quickly. have fun, learn a lot, and don't take advantage of the new board :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
420a is a Mitsubishi Name

The 420a is only the front-exhaust 2.0l in the DSM cars. Granted, the short block is common with the 2.0l Chrysler versions - but Chrysler doesn't use the 420a name. Just for clarity....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same difference. same block, same head core, different cut. Everybody I know calls all of them 420A's. always have. may I ask what the proper name is for all of the motors? if the name is wrong, I would love to know the correct name.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Numbering schemes nowhere to be found at Chrysler...

You're going to be very disappointed in Chrysler's naming scheme - seeing as how most of the current production engines have 15-year lifespans they are just called by their displacement :? . Remember that prior to about 1992 the only overhead cam engine in the lineup was the 2.2-2.5 with and without turbos. Granted, the sales code is more useful since it differentiates which vehicle application - but no-one internal to Chrysler would know what you are talking about if you used it in conversation. So for reference, here are the current 4-valve engines at Chrysler and their names internally:

1.6L SOHC (the Mini engine, otherwise export only in Neon and PT)
1.6L HPD (High Performance Derivative, Mini Cooper S only)
2.0L SOHC (Neon only)
2.0L SOHC R/T (Neon only)
2.0L DOHC (export only since '00 in Stratus and PT)
2.4L DOHC (base engine in Minivan, PT, Stratus/Sebring, Liberty and soon to be Wrangler)
2.4L DOHC Turbo (PT, SRT, Mexican Stratus)
2.7L DOHC (Stratus R/T, base in Intrepid/Concorde)
3.5L SOHC (300M, Intrepid R/T and soon Pacifica)

And also for reference, the development history of the above:

1. 1.7L VW in L-Bodies was duplicated in the 2.2L for K-cars (same bore-centers, nearly same engine), stroked for the 2.5L making a tractor motor.

2. Needed new engine for Neon, couldn't afford new machining tools for block line - so 2.0L SOHC has same bore-centers as VW. At least the head was pretty tasty - 132 bhp in 1992.

3. The 3.5L makes it into production 2 months before 2.0L even though development started a year later. It is the second generation 4V head.

4. Mitsubishi wants a cheap DOHC 2.0L for the DSM cars. Chrysler has one coming out for the 1995 Neon R/T, and makes a front-exhaust version. The difference D4FE vs D4RE : dohc 4-cylinders front exhaust vs dohc 4-cylinders rear exhaust. This naming scheme appears in the engine description, but isn't used for tracking since it doesn't mention displacement. This is third generation 4-valve head.

5. The Stratus is too lardy for the 2.0L SOHC, so the 2.5L rods and pistons are resurrected to yield a 2.4L in 1996 (I think).

6. The large cars need to lose their truck motors, so a 4V 2.7L is developed for the Intrepid/Concorde. Nice motor, but 3,800 lbs is a lot to drag around in 1997. The fourth generation 4-valve. The 3.5L gets an aluminum block and active intake, but not really that different from before - other than the horsepower upgrade.

7. Problems with exhaust valve sealing prompts redesign of DOHC 4-cylinder head, dropping exhaust valve diameter but port is upgraded for better flow and water jackets strengthened and enlarged. Launched 2000 for PT 2.4L. Thus ends the backwards compatibility to D4FE heads, but much stiffer and less knock-sensitive. Good for upcoming Turbo.

8. BMW decides to go in halves with Chrysler for new small engine for Neons and Mini. Lauches in 2001 as fifth generation 4-valve, with boosted variant in 2002.

9. Lardy PT needs a bigger motor, so a turbo is added. Luckily for everyone who loves Neons, the upgrade everyone was looking for happened - and then a turbo on top of it. 2002 is a very good year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man, those names do suck :(. I think I will keep calling the 2.0 and the 2.4 420A's 'though. everybody in the "evil modification underground" knows what you mean when you say 420A anyway :p. kinda like saying "bpu" :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
DarkOne said:
I guess that's why all the 2.0L Chrysler blocks i've seen have "420A" stamped on them?
Is that right?

Hmmmm, can you tell us all where on the 2.0L block you have seen this?

Considering I have 3 Engines in my Garage, I'd really like to see this mysterious labling.

Call it what ever, but know this. Mitsu is who coined the "420A" designation.

-boost

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have never heard of a 420A, I've never heard the non-mitsubishi engine called anything but " the other engine". I thought the T,L,Es were called 4G63s (160hp) & 4G63Ts (195-210hp). I've worked on several Talons and Eclipi...and one 97 Neon R/T and the engines seemed pretty much the same. Is the 420A the R/T or ARC engine?

-James

·
Registered
449 Posts
Acidryno said:
Is the 420A the R/T or ARC engine?

-James
Yes and no. 420a is Mitsubishi's name for the non turbo DOHC 2 liter that is made by Chrysler. The bottom end of the NT Eclipse engine and the ACR/RT engine is identical, but they have slightly different heads.

Chrysler just isn't as "engine code happy" as all of the Japanese car makers so the Mitsubishi code has sort of stuck on all of the 2 liter, and to a certain degree even the 2.4 liter engines made by Chrysler.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Chrysler just isn't as "engine code happy" as all of the Japanese car makers so the Mitsubishi code has sort of stuck on all of the 2 liter, and to a certain degree even the 2.4 liter engines made by Chrysler.
Cool, but about the "engine code happy" as all of the Japanese is kinda funny. The reason why we find it engine code happy is the way they have thier Titles/Proof of ownership made.....THEY ARE LONG!
e.g.
(In Big Print Long Form Kangi)
1997 Acura Type R B18C5 DC15 Lot # 00000X
Then the Plant Name
Then the Engine builders Names
Then the body builders Names
Then the Dealers Names
Then Your signed name and everyone that owned the car names
(Small Print Short Form)
All the other offical State, Country information.

They won't even let you do thing to the car unless you have this, I mean for recalls, oil change, minor, to major work.......it realy sucks, but funny.
-James

·
Registered
20 Posts
mexican 2.4 turbo

Question: can the turbo manifold from the mexican 2.4 turbo be used on the 420A front exhaust version? Will it position the turbocharger well in this application? From what I understand it can be used on the neon rear exhuast style.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
From what I've learned the 4dre(neon) and 4dfe(420a) blocks only differ by the knock sensor location(always on the intake side) and piston orientation.

Also the 4sre was also offered in cloud cars with a 5spd.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Re: mexican 2.4 turbo

boost4 said:
Question: can the turbo manifold from the mexican 2.4 turbo be used on the 420A front exhaust version? Will it position the turbocharger well in this application? From what I understand it can be used on the neon rear exhuast style.
I think it will bolt up, but hood and/or radiator clearances might be a problem. Possible downpipe clearances too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
stonebender said:
The 2.0 and the 2.4 use a different block.

The 2.7 V6 is DOHC.

The 3.5 V6 is OHV (Pushrod)
Sorry for the "back from the dead" post but no, the 3.5 is not OHV. The 3.3 and 3.8 are. The 3.5 is SOHC as stated above.

The 2.4 and 2.0 do indeed use a different block but there is only one difference, deck height. The 2.4 block is taller. It is in fact the exact same deck height as the 2.2/2.5 motors whereas the 2.0 is shorter (done to curb any possible hood clearance issues).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
getnpsi
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing