Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 4-5 months back I noticed my brake light come on - weird - no sounds, brake pads look fine, etc. I figured it was probably a wiring issue so I didn't react immediately. A few days later I hear a squeeking/rubbing sound from the rear passenger rim. I continued to drive it the next few days til I had some time off.....I take the rim off and the brake pads are almost worn completely down, and the rotor looks noticeably worn compared to the other rotors. No idea what happened. My first thought was something is faulty - I should take it in for warranty work, but figured it wasn't worth the hastle since it's a wearable item and the car is almost 2 years old.

So I get replacement brakes, and have the rear rotors resurfaced (I did brake myself and had resurfacing done at a local shop). Well, that was a few months ago. Now I'm getting that same rubbing noise and the brake light came on again....same tire. Anyone have any idea what this is? Should I bring it to the dealership or am I wasting my time? I don't race so it's not me beating on the breaks.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, mine is on passenger side.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
take it into a shop that does free brake inspections. ask them what they think the reasoning could be. I would say either your caliper is not releasing all the way or the e-brake is getting stuck on at that side. My GF's honda just had that problem. right rear was down to metal, but the left rear looked brand new. Turns out that when she released the ebrake, the ebrake was frozen on that side and wasnt releasing. since the fronts do most of the braking, she didnt notice the right rear dragging. After I rebuilt the caliper, her gas mileage went up by 4 mpg's.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so should i bother bringing it to Dodge or are they going to try and charge me?

·
Administrator
39,212 Posts
it won't be the e-brake being stuck, those are entirely seperate (a mini drum setup) and won't wear the pads or rotors down.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got my car serviced a few thousand miles ago. They told me that one of my rear brakes was wearing faster than the other, but offered no suggestions other than paying them for it. My car is out of warrenty. So good luck with the dealer if you take it there.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
yup lube the guides/slides, try to do it once a year to be safe, otherwise it might bind up on ya.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
capliper probally went bad, gets stuck, and throws a code. might want to check for leaking, and slugishness of retraction. its most likly the caliper. if you switch that one out you mine as well switch out the other rear aswell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts