Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, before the results here are my current power mods.........

Stage 1, BDJs Racing cat less side exit exhaust, IceMan CAI, IceMan 60mm TB, AGP WGA, Greddy Profec B Spec 2 BC, CoolingMist.com's dual stage water injection system

The dyno was done at DynoWorks in San Bernardino California at noon today. The temps were around 85 degrees. All runs were done on 91 octane crappy pump California gas. The WGA and BC were tuned in to run 17 psi dropping to 15 psi at redline. Also note that right now, the water injection system is spraying a bit too much water as my car is stumbling at initial WOT. The small stage(approximately 1.2 gph nozzle) is currently activated at 7 psi of boost. The second stage(approximately 3.2 gph nozzle) is currently triggered at 14 psi of boost. The entire system is currently running on 75 psi of water pressure. Both nozzles are bolted in to my ATP UPP just prior to the IAT sensor.

Peak hp and tq with water injection fully activated;

254.2 hp @ 5300 rpm
260.6 ft lbs @ 4700 rpm

Peak hp and tq with only 1 of 2 stages of water injection activated;

254.3 hp @ 5400 rpm
263.8 ft lbs @ 4600 rpm

Peak hp and tq with water injection turned off;

249.7 hp @ 4950 rpm
265.9 ft lbs @ 4900 rpm

From these peak numbers, you'd think that water injection doesn't do a whole lot. But at the end of the power band is where BIG differances are!

At redline(6200 rpm) here are the power differances in hp and tq.

both stages of water injection activated;

240 hp
208 ft lbs

one stage of water injection activated;

235 hp
205 ft lbs

water injection turned off;

225 hp
190 ft lbs

So when you look at it like this, when I had water injection running, the car pulled really good all the way to redline. It never fell on it's face like the car had done in the past as is evident in the run when the water injection was turned off. In warmer temps, the power gains will be higher. Once I get the system tuned in, power gains will be higher. If I can ever get an Apexi S-AFC, my power gains will be higher as well.

Air/fuel ratio was ran and suprisingly, it was VERY consistant between all runs. Air/fuel dipped to 10.0:1 at 3500 rpms. At 4500 rpm, it started to lean out just a bit. By 5400 rpm, air/fuel was steady at 12.0:1 all the way to redline. I currently have NO fuel mods besides Stage 1.

All in all, once I get it tuned in and running my normal boost again(18-19 psi dropping to 16 at redline) and once I get my intercooler sprayer working again(it blew a hose) then power levels will be back up to where I expect them to be. I'm VERY happy with it!

This post is not intended to brag about the overall power numbers. Yes they are a bit low. I'm not concered about that. I'm more concered about the effectiveness of an untuned water injection system on our cars. To me, it seems as though it is WELL worth the money.

**** On all of the single stage water injection runs, I had the small nozzle running. ****

edit: ohh yeah, I've got the dyno sheet so if someone in the South Cali area would like to scan it in for me, then it could be posted. thanx!

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
so you made 225/190 normally? are you joking?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Congrats on your numbers!!! I'm very glad to see someone take the time to install the kit and dyno it. I cant get enough of the coolingmist water injection kit on my project car. Your results are great, imagine if you tune it!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
His 225 whp and 190 wtq were recoerded at the end of his powerband, i.e at redline. horse power 101; a manufacturers hp ratings are peak horsepower that is the part of the power band where your making the most hp or torque. Sorry to bust your balls I've been drinking since I got off work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
985 Posts
wow two threads that negated mine that quick . you guys are quick

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CoolingMist said:
Congrats on your numbers!!! I'm very glad to see someone take the time to install the kit and dyno it. I cant get enough of the coolingmist water injection kit on my project car. Your results are great, imagine if you tune it!!

I can't wait to have the time to get everything tuned in to work together!

My previous high dyno run was 266 hp and 298 ft lbs. That was without water injection. Once I get everything tuned in, hitting 270-280 hp and 300+ ft lbs should be no problem.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
dymondboy2f said:
so you made 225/190 normally? are you joking?

solardodgesrt4 said:
His 225 whp and 190 wtq were recoerded at the end of his powerband, i.e at redline. horse power 101; a manufacturers hp ratings are peak horsepower that is the part of the power band where your making the most hp or torque. Sorry to bust your balls I've been drinking since I got off work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read the whole post. It's at redline. Nice numbers! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
91CavGT said:
I can't wait to have the time to get everything tuned in to work together!

My previous high dyno run was 266 hp and 298 ft lbs. That was without water injection. Once I get everything tuned in, hitting 270-280 hp and 300+ ft lbs should be no problem.

you probably dont have an air intake gauge in your car, I have a digital one. Although I am in Atlanta now, when I lived in norcal I used to drive my project car to the san bernadino area. on 5 when you pass the IKEA distribution center and climb up the hill for that 15 mile or so incline My water temps were going crazy, at one point they were 230 F. With my dual stage water injection system I set the first stage to come on at 1 psi. I have 2 intake temp sensors. The factory one (I have a digital readout) and aftermaret one (also digital readout). My first stage was after the aftermarket gauge but before the factor intake sensor.

Guess what? Although my water temps were 230 F, my intake temps PRIOR to the water injection were 145 F, after the water injection were 95F, which is what the temperature was outside. That convinced me the value of the dual stage system AND water injection in general. I will never drive my car without it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for posting this info, I've been waiting for someone to try this, I have been wanting to do this to one of my many turbos through the years, having the idea that cooling the fuel intake temperatures would help reach and maintain max timing advance. Nice dense air fuel mixture is a Turbos dream.
Heading to there web site now for prices :eek:)

By the way, where and how much water are you carrying?
how long does it last?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
91CavGT said:
edit: ohh yeah, I've got the dyno sheet so if someone in the South Cali area would like to scan it in for me, then it could be posted. thanx!
I can scan it, I live very close to dynoworks, less then 10 mins. If you want to come by I can scan it for you. I wanted to see your water injection anyway, thinking about getting the kit myself, not sure though, I think i should get some more power mods first.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Spoiled said:
By the way, where and how much water are you carrying?
how long does it last?
I second this question. . . . .Where do you store the water for this, and how long does it last?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeffiam said:
I second this question. . . . .Where do you store the water for this, and how long does it last?

I was/am running 100% straight distilled water. I tried running a mix of alcohol and water, but since I have no means of pulling out fuel, the car was stumbling WAY too bad due to it running WAY too rich. After I get a piggy back fuel computer, I will be running a mix of alcohol/distilled water so I can pull plenty of fuel back and run more boost!!

I'm currently running a VERY oversized tank. It measures 6 gallons! :wah?!: The last time I filled it up, I was in North West Arizona. This was last week. Since then, I've driven to the Grand Canyon, to the Hoover Dam, to Vegas, and then back to L.A. on Wednesday. There's still PLENTY of fluid left in the tank! I decided to run this size of a tank because I am out on the road soo much that I don't want to have to worry about filling it back up but maybe once a month. I've already got 40,000 miles on my SRT-4 if that tells you guys how much I drive it!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tido said:
This may sound dumb to you guys but what is water injection? And how does it work?
Nope it's not dumb, I get that all the time.

Water injection works mechanically like Nitrous. It is sprayed into the motor via some sort of nozzle or injector. Only, instead of spraying nitrous, you are spraying water. And there is no fuel being sprayed with it. Now, good systems run a nice amount of pressure. My system runs 75 psi of water pressure. This way, when the water comes out fo the nozzle, it's atomized REALLY good(this is really important).

Now, the fine mist of water cools off the intake charge. This is the first benefit of water injection. Once the fine mist of water enters the combustion chamber, and the air/fuel/water mix is ignited the fine mist of water helps to slow the combustion process down. In doing so, it makes the car act like it is running race gas. This is the 2nd benefit of water injection. After the combustion process, the fine mist of water turns into super heated steam. This steam then steam cleans the inside of your motor removing any carbon deposits. Carbon deposits btw are the number one cause of detonation(if you are using good gas). This is the 3rd benefit of water injection.

Another thing that water injection dows is it keeps your intake manifold clean on the inside. After running water injection for a few months, the inside of your intake manifold will be crystal clean!

Now, here are some of the downfalls of water injection. IF you tune your car so that it needs water injection to remain in a safe state of tune and your resovoir runs out of water, then there is a chance that your motor could go boom. If you were to have a solenoid stick open then there is a chance of hydrolocking your motor if it is parked and turned off when it happens(read, this is a VERY slim chance of happening as in I've never heard about it happening, but none-the-less it is possible). If you decide to run alcohol in with the water(the alcohol is a fuel so your car will run richer wich can allow running of more boost) and you run too much alcohol, and for some reason you have a backfire then it is possible to have an engine fire.

For the most part though, water injection is VERY safe and has been used for many many YEARS(it was used in WWII on fighter planes as a reserve power).

Did this explain it ok????

·
Registered
58 Posts
That explained alot! Thanks, I've been trying to figure out the benifits of spraying water into a motor for a while, I thought water was bad...but as you put it I see how it helps...Thanks man! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
It also helps to lower Exhaust Gas Temperture. But that's a result of the items already mentioned above being combined.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
How much for this entire kit?

And how come you're making less power now that you did when you said you were making 266 hp and 298 tq?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts