Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2004 Silver Dodge SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I want to add splashes of red in a few places in my car, and I was thinking of wrapping. Some spots like the radio cover will be easy because of its smooth surface. But others wont, like the cover on the door panel where the window switch is. I don't think the Vinyl will stick to that texture, so what would be the process to sanding it down to a smooth surface?

Or would I be better off replacing with smoother surfaces like fiberglass or something? Id like some help on this so I can add some red to my interior without fucking it all up.
Thanks

· Registered
816 Posts
Hey,
I want to add splashes of red in a few places in my car, and I was thinking of wrapping. Some spots like the radio cover will be easy because of its smooth surface. But others wont, like the cover on the door panel where the window switch is. I don't think the Vinyl will stick to that texture, so what would be the process to sanding it down to a smooth surface?

Or would I be better off replacing with smoother surfaces like fiberglass or something? Id like some help on this so I can add some red to my interior without fucking it all up.
Thanks
HVAC vents can be painted along with any trim.

· Registered
5,993 Posts
Decals? BIG DECALS :ROFLMAO:
I've see some pretty aweful attempts in spicing up the interior.
But I liked the long gone Katzskin yellow and black leather seat covers for my Solar Yellow SRT-4.
And maybe a large Blue Mopar decal on the hood to cover a small, anoying little paint chip.
But I keept it all tastefully stock but a little "suspiscious, somethings up" looking...
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle

· Registered
2004 Silver Dodge SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decals? BIG DECALS :ROFLMAO:
I've see some pretty aweful attempts in spicing up the interior.
But I liked the long gone Katzskin yellow and black leather seat covers for my Solar Yellow SRT-4.
And maybe a large Blue Mopar decal on the hood to cover a small, anoying little paint chip.
But I keept it all tastefully stock but a little "suspiscious, somethings up" looking...
View attachment 150085
She's beautiful, i love what you did with the taillights

· Registered
5,993 Posts
She's beautiful, i love what you did with the taillights
Those are the Mopar 3D Tail Lights.
I don't think they are available anymore.
Some people love them, others hate them.

I added the so-called-at-the-time(2004) "STARKIE STRIPE" to on the trunk lid...
between the lights.
In retrospect, I wish I'd done it in flat black, satin or maybe eggshell black.

I got the Black SXT wing from a club member...
thought about painting it yellow...
decided it looks better the way it was - factory black.

The goal of this whole insanity was to make the ass-end look less like a cat-in-heat.

· Registered
2004 Silver Dodge SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are the Mopar 3D Tail Lights.
I don't think they are available anymore.
Some people love them, others hate them.

I added the so-called-at-the-time(2004) "STARKIE STRIPE" to on the trunk lid...
between the lights.
In retrospect, I wish I'd done it in flat black, satin or maybe eggshell black.

I got the Black SXT wing from a club member...
thought about painting it yellow...
decided it looks better the way it was - factory black.

The goal of this whole insanity was to make the ass-end look less like a cat-in-heat.
Well done man, everything turned out good on her

· Registered
816 Posts
So you wouldn't suggest wrapping anything on the interior? That was my original plan I just wasn't sure if the wrap would stick to the textures of our interior.
Vinyl is cheap. I think you should just try it if that's what you want to do. Do a test run and adjust as needed. I'm not one for wraps, especially on concave surfaces. A convex surface such as a vehicle exterior is much easier to get smooth. Food for thought though, plenty of A pillars are held on with double sided velcro tape. If a simple piece of double sided tape could do it, maybe your wrap could?

Additionally, sometimes contrast looks good! Do you need to do the whole door panel?

Lastly, I really have no idea what you're trying to do. Your plan was a little vague.

· Registered
2004 Silver Dodge SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vinyl is cheap. I think you should just try it if that's what you want to do. Do a test run and adjust as needed. I'm not one for wraps, especially on concave surfaces. A convex surface such as a vehicle exterior is much easier to get smooth. Food for thought though, plenty of A pillars are held on with double sided velcro tape. If a simple piece of double sided tape could do it, maybe your wrap could?

Additionally, sometimes contrast looks good! Do you need to do the whole door panel?

Lastly, I really have no idea what you're trying to do. Your plan was a little vague.
Yeah I was gonna test on the airbag piece as I have replacements if it messes it up and its the same texture as other pieces i wanna do. No im not doing the whole door panel, nothing crazy just pieces around the interior, a segment of the door panel, part of the steering wheel, the radio area, maybe the middle piece of the front with the cup holders. Also may get a red shifter boot. I like the interior how it is I just want some color, and I wanted to wrap it so if i grow out of it I can remove it.

· Registered
92 Posts
Most of the interior is plastic. You don't need special automotive paint. The same stuff you use on lawn chairs would work. Just make sure whatever paint you pick bonds with plastic.
I just got a can of PB5 paint from the dealership for my bezel and knob. Only prep was sanding them down a bit, and the knob got a clear coat while the bezel stayed matte.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Grille Hood

· Registered
2004 Silver Dodge SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got a can of PB5 paint from the dealership for my bezel and knob. Only prep was sanding them down a bit, and the knob got a clear coat while the bezel stayed matte.

View attachment 150098
That looks REALLY good im glad you showed me this because its exactly what im hoping to accomplish with wrap. Not all red but just parts like you did blue. I hope the interior wrap i bought works, if not, looks like ill be painting.

· Registered
92 Posts
That looks REALLY good im glad you showed me this because its exactly what im hoping to accomplish with wrap. Not all red but just parts like you did blue. I hope the interior wrap i bought works, if not, looks like ill be painting.
Thanks man, I'm actually glad I went with a matte look for the bezel. I saw a friends glossy blue one after and I didn't like it as much.

I thought about doing the gauge bezels blue too, but didn't think it'd look good.

· Registered
2004 Silver Dodge SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks man, I'm actually glad I went with a matte look for the bezel. I saw a friends glossy blue one after and I didn't like it as much.

I thought about doing the gauge bezels blue too, but didn't think it'd look good.
I agree, I saw a green interior and the guy had done the gauge bezels and they didn't fit in. He would need a custom gauge that has green lights or a green background/needle in order for it to work.

So how much sanding did you do on the knob? I figured you could just slap paint on as is, id be worried about sanding the gears off the knob

· Registered
92 Posts
I agree, I saw a green interior and the guy had done the gauge bezels and they didn't fit in. He would need a custom gauge that has green lights or a green background/needle in order for it to work.

So how much sanding did you do on the knob? I figured you could just slap paint on as is, id be worried about sanding the gears off the knob
Lol you wont sand the numbers off, but I used some fine grit just to rough up the surface a bit. I had my buddy paint the numbers white so I scraped out the gunk and old paint out've them too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts