Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit close for comfort... Stupid close to the strut housing. So I ordered 3mm spacers from MPX. Hopefully that does the trick. On stock studs.
Front:

Rear:

Konig Hypergrams 17x8 et 40. Tires are General GMAX RS 225/45/17.

Teaser shot:

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Just curious why you decided to run 8" wheels.
My car has been running with 225 x 45 x 17 tires mounted on 7" Centerline Storms (45 offset) since 2003 with no problems.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
My car has been running with 225 x 45 x 17 tires mounted on 7" Centerline Storms (45 offset) since 2003 with no problems.
Thanks.
Sometimes its a matter of availability. The wheel design you like only comes in a particular size or offset.

I dont think you'll have any problem with the 3mm spacer. I'm a little surprised at how close those tires are. I've run 255 tires up front and 245 out back without contact on an et35 8 inch wheel. has the alignment on this car been checked recently?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I just don't like the whole idea of spacers. Or camber bolts.
That's why I went with Mopar Stage 3 Coil Overs (slots for camber adjustment).
And 17 x 7 Centerline Storms (forged alloy, only 14 lbs each helps unsprung weight and brake durability) and also hub centric rings.
But all of that was back in 2003 when there wasn't much knowledge about these cars and the aftermarket was limited.
No regrets or problems since then.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.
Yeah what gump said. Not many 17x7 options that look good. The Centerline Storms are discontinued to my knowledge and to find them in our size would be very hard.. :( Hard to believe you can fit a et45 wheel on your car without it rubbing. Are you sure its et45? Any picures of your car with the wheels. Would love to see some centerline storms on a SRT-4. Crazy how light they are too.
Sometimes its a matter of availability. The wheel design you like only comes in a particular size or offset.

I dont think you'll have any problem with the 3mm spacer. I'm a little surprised at how close those tires are. I've run 255 tires up front and 245 out back without contact on an et35 8 inch wheel. has the alignment on this car been checked recently?
Yeah I was surprised too and a bit upset. Since I have been searching quite some time for some wheels. I wonder if it being jacked up and the wheels in the air caused them to get closer? Shouldn't really matter. I have ACR alignment specs on my car. Had it done a year or so ago. I wasn't too keen on the guy just using the rear camber plates to do the camber. You are supposed to use the clevis bolts first. And the BC's have slotted holes so the tech can adjust camber even on stock crash bolts. Going to get the car re-aligned somewhere else.
I just don't like the whole idea of spacers. Or camber bolts.
That's why I went with Mopar Stage 3 Coil Overs (slots for camber adjustment).
And 17 x 7 Centerline Storms (forged alloy, only 14 lbs each helps unsprung weight and brake durability) and also hub centric rings.
But all of that was back in 2003 when there wasn't much knowledge about these cars and the aftermarket was limited.
No regrets or problems since then.
Yeah I am not a fan of spacers at all really. Like I said, I was honestly surprised how close the tire was to the strut. The BC's have slots for adjustment too on stock crash bolts.

The WHEEL & TIRE TECH Thread

8.0 inch wide wheels will generally fit with offsets of 35-38mm with some wheels fitting with 40mm offset on coilovers. When going to a wider wheel the problem isn't so much clearance with the calipers but rather tire clearance with the stock struts and transmission case.
Old post but still valuable information. I could see having problems with it hitting a factory strut. But not a coilover! The 3mm spacers will bring my offset to 37. Really hope that does the trick. And it will fill out the wheels a tad. Not a fan of the recessed look like the OEM wagon wheels that sit in the wheel arches like a hermit.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Yeah what gump said. Not many 17x7 options that look good. The Centerline Storms are discontinued to my knowledge and to find them in our size would be very hard.. :( Hard to believe you can fit a et45 wheel on your car without it rubbing. Are you sure its et45? Any picures of your car with the wheels. Would love to see some centerline storms on a SRT-4. Crazy how light they are too.

Yeah I was surprised too and a bit upset. Since I have been searching quite some time for some wheels. I wonder if it being jacked up and the wheels in the air caused them to get closer? Shouldn't really matter. I have ACR alignment specs on my car. Had it done a year or so ago. I wasn't too keen on the guy just using the rear camber plates to do the camber. You are supposed to use the clevis bolts first. And the BC's have slotted holes so the tech can adjust camber even on stock crash bolts. Going to get the car re-aligned somewhere else.

Yeah I am not a fan of spacers at all really. Like I said, I was honestly surprised how close the tire was to the strut. The BC's have slots for adjustment too on stock crash bolts.

The WHEEL & TIRE TECH Thread

Old post but still valuable information. I could see having problems with it hitting a factory strut. But not a coilover! The 3mm spacers will bring my offset to 37. Really hope that does the trick. And it will fill out the wheels a tad. Not a fan of the recessed look like the OEM wagon wheels that sit in the wheel arches like a hermit.
Yeah, it's really a shame Center Line Storms were discontinues several years ago.
Center Line closed as a business but their wheels were licensed elsewhere but not Storms which are discontinued.

I didn't buy them for looks, I only wanted the lightest, strongest 17" wheels I could find for a decent price ($270 each).
That would fit properly without spacers and didn't have the ugly Swiss-cheese looking hub with different bolt holes so as to fit any car.

There was one drawback though - that 42 offset (not 45 as I said before) wouldn't clear a Willwood Big Brake kit I was trying to buy.
Luckily, the seller, Jeff Lepper (see Dodge Neon SRT-4 - Wikipedia) had a vernier gauge and found the clearance problem first.
So I went with an MPSC upgrade (slotted rotors with ceramic pads) on stock calipers instead. Still perfect after all these years.

Here are some pictures of my car when the Centerline Storms were first installed in 2003.
They still look the same even without a good polishing in years.

Bear in mind that the car hadn't settled in these pictures since the work was just done.
It's a little lower now and you do need SOME wheel well gap for Gods sake!

All in all, I got very lucky with fitment in choosing these wheels and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
I wasn't too keen on the guy just using the rear camber plates to do the camber. You are supposed to use the clevis bolts first. And the BC's have slotted holes so the tech can adjust camber even on stock crash bolts. Going to get the car re-aligned somewhere else.
I have BCs also, though i dont have the rear camber plates. I do have adjustable rear control arms. I have always set the slotted bolt to a spot where i was happy with the tire clearance and then allowed the control arms to be adjusted to get the alignment correct.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love those centerline storms! Clean simple 5 spoke! Wish they were still available. I see there were some 4x100 15'' ones on eBay.

I have BCs also, though i don't have the rear camber plates. I do have adjustable rear control arms. I have always set the slotted bolt to a spot where i was happy with the tire clearance and then allowed the control arms to be adjusted to get the alignment correct.
I have adjustable rear control arms too. Very nice, will take note. I got the 3mm spacers on the drivers side rear wheel. Looks like it gave me enough clearance now. :) Brought the wheel out some more.

Can't wait to get the rest of the wheels on this weekend.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found out the reason why hahaha. I kind of figured it was the case. I put the rest of my wheels on and I noticed I had more of a gap on my passenger rear strut to tire. So I popped my trunk and saw my camber plates for my coilovers:
Driverr:

Passenger:
Notice the gap difference. Guy who aligned my car a couple years ago just used the camber plates. :( So I plan on getting it re-aligned after I put a new BC coilover in that went bad due to the lock ring on the bottom getting loose and driving for who knows how long. :(

Side shot with the new wheels. Bad picture car is dirty too.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man. yeah I loved the white on white, but the spoke design of the RPF1, there was just something about it. Didn't set it off like I originally envisioned. I need to clean it up and take some photos. My flash was on that one quick picture I took. My brother has 5 cars at our house and I always have to move his car out of the way since the neon is in the garage. Just a hassle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts