Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you are having paint problems with your car, (which bubbles) call the number listed below,
navigate the menu's and file a complaint
Thank you!

1 800 992 1997

LIST OF OTHER SRT OWNERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

Dasstrum -- 05 RED -- complaint filed
03RedSRT4 -- 03 RED
T4EaterJonny -- 05 RED -- complaint filed
buzzkill -- 05 RED -- complaint filed
gglaeser12 -- 05 RED -- complaint filed
05RRocket -- 05 RED -- complaint filed
LooksStock -- 05 RED
Rector07 -- 05 RED
Snovick87 -- 05 RED ---- complaint filed
Overcome -- RED
justloaf1 -- 05 Red -- complaint filed
Planetb -- 04 RED
turbojonsrt4 -- 05 RED
WestFlameRed05 -- 05 RED
Kazekage
YouthXCrew -- 05 RED
Turbo2sloww 04
TheFace
Blink182peps
Natedawg9640
SystemCrash
turbojonsrt4
Spunjah413
cwood -- 05 RED -- Complaint Filed
still gh3tt0
hondakiller03

Total: 26

Let me know if I forgot anyone - Send PM with Vin, year, phone ect...

____________________________________________________________________________________
I have just now got around to taking pictures of this paint problem I am having with my car. I really don't know what I can do to fix it. I don't know if its a factory car problem that is worthy of a recall or its just something I have done or something beyond my control that would cause this...

I am from Tennessee so we never see any type of extreme weather conditions, rarely see temps lower than 20º or higher than 100º. When the car is at home, it is parked outside under the shade of a large tree. I hand wash the car a lot but kinda slack on waxing it like I should (maybe 1 time every few months). Anyone having any of these paint problems or know what is causing them?? These pictures where taken of 2 different spots on my hood. I have now found multiple spots on my car where the small bubbles are showing up. Near the front of the sunroof, near the windshield - rear right quarter panel above gas cap and on a spot on my front fender.

This is what it started out like - very small bubbles in the paint - It actually started out with about 3 or 4 bubbles and grew and grew to about 10

It keeps coming up with more and more bubbles in the the same spot till now it looks like this:

And by the way, it really doesn't look as bad in person when you look at it than when you do in the picture. That is just a super close up shot of it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a really bad bubbling problem on my 96 deville, its only going to get worse, regardless of how much you wash it now its just gonna keep bubbling, then start rusting. Your best bet to stop it from getting real bad is sanding off the bubbles until you hit a rust free spot or a spot where its not bubbling, then put super glue around the edges to stop it from spreading until you get it repainted. Otherwise you will be looking at a hole in your panels. My bubbles started like that on my quarter panel and ate clean through the panel leaving an ugly rust hole.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
omg, what the hell would cause this! its not like its just in 1 spot but multiple spots on the car. plus its only 4 years old and starting to have this problem. could this be a problem worthy of a recall? anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
doesnt dodge have a warranty against paint defects/rust for like 7 years?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
doesnt dodge have a warranty against paint defects/rust for like 7 years?
I believe so, he should look into it but I don't believe his paint in those spots on his car is original.

omg, what the hell would cause this! its not like its just in 1 spot but multiple spots on the car. plus its only 4 years old and starting to have this problem. could this be a problem worthy of a recall? anyone else having this problem?
I have been a automotive painter for 15 years now. The paint that is bubbling in those areas is not original from what I can see from your pics. The clear coat is bubbling off in those areas due to what is called solvent pops. Solvent pops happen when you clear coat a substrate and use a fast drying clear coat in the wrong application, or they put it on to wet and didn't allow enough dry time in between coats of clear. Anyway if this were factory paint it would be doing it on all top surfaces. If you need anymore help feel free to pm me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just got back from the Dodge dealership and had their paint guy look at it. He said that its not anything thats a defect in the paint. He told me that a number of things could of caused it from acid rain, a small rock chip to bird shit that was left on there too long. He told me that the clear coat in that spot started to wear away and caused bubbles and with moisture and water getting under the clear coat caused it to start to wear.

I then asked him about the warranty for paint and he told me all dodges have a 3 year / 36,000 warranty for paint and rust so there was nothing he would be able to do (repaint the car) using a warranty. When I called down to the dealership prior to driving there, they told me paint was a 7 year warranty.

He said to try and keep a lot of wax on the car if I dont want to get the car repainted or reclear coated to keep it from getting worst faster...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get it repainted again, simple solution i would think
well, for one, the car was never repainted to begin with. Its the factory paint job. Two, paint job cost lots of money :mopar: ... they told me anywhere between $1000 - 1,500 to have it repainted. Looks like I'm screwed

·
Premium Member, SRT of the Month
7,990 Posts
Mines an 05, flame red as well, and has never been painted, besides the driver fender and the paint on it is fine. Mine has similar looking spots on each side under the windows, mainly towards the middle at the b pillar area and one the passenger side I have a few spots on the c pillar area. It started out as one or two small white dots, but it grew. I had a friend who paints to look at it and he said it looks like air has got under the clear coat. Factory paint is pretty sorry anyway. I suppose I'll have it painted eventually.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey I got the same problem. Just talked to Whitemarsh Dodge in MD and got shot down by the service manager. He say's 7yrs for rust through, and 3yr's for paint. So now I'm going to corporate to see what they say. Hope you got yours straightened out. Let me know if Chrysler helped you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey I got the same problem. Just talked to Whitemarsh Dodge in MD and got shot down by the service manager. He say's 7yrs for rust through, and 3yr's for paint. So now I'm going to corporate to see what they say. Hope you got yours straightened out. Let me know if Chrysler helped you.

If you get any results let me know, I would love to get this problem fixed, I just don't have money to get the car repainted.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. The body shop guy says something was on the car before it got painted. I called the 800 # and got a case #. Looks like I could get a little help. Here is the email I got from Dodge yesterday.

Dear Bart :

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
regarding your 2005 Dodge Neon.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you because of the paint peeling
and we do appreciate the time and effort you took to write to us.

In response to your email, we tried calling you at your home phone
number but could not talk to you directly. We would request you to take
the vehicle to any of the authorized dealership and get it diagnosed.
We would then request you to call the Chrysler customer assistance at
1-800-992-1997 between 8.00 am to 5.00 pm Continental Standard times.

The customer assistance representative will talk to the dealership, and
get an idea about what exactly is wrong with the vehicle and take a
decision about possible goodwill assistance from Chryslers end; however
we cannot promise you any thing at this point of time. The final
decision will be taken by the senior department.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us through
the below mentioned link.

Thanks again for your email. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Bosci
Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That e-mail you got doesn't sound too promising. But keep us informed on what they tell you. If they fix it, I will be doing the same thing you did ASAP!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
get hardcore and threaten with lawyers....they will just paint them to keep from going to court....the warranty covers it and i would think it would benefit them to catch it now and paint them rather then waiting for the panels to rust....they cant PROVE it was your fault and it doesnt say anywhere in the manual how ofter you are supposed to wash or car for the paint without guidelines for care of paint and they cant prove what you did or didnt do....as usual the warranty on a car comes down to how you bitch and how far you will take it.... so imo with proper bitching and threats you can get this painted....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, i just noticed your post and wanted to comment. Im a PPG automotive paint sales rep. and i see tons of paint problems from all of the dealers and bodyshops i sell to. my lighting isnt the best right now on my computer, just thought i would give a possible cause. the solvent pop which was mentioned above, is a good explanation, it could be that there isnt enough clearcoat on the car from the factory. what this means is that the clearcoats are designed w/ a certain amount of UV screener in them to prevent sun from wearing it down, and if there isnt enough clear applied to the car, the sun will break the clear down, starting first to get a milky/chalky look to it, and then it bubbles and then after a while it starts to just flake off. each brand of clearcoat used on cars has a certain thickness which is measure by "mils" that has to be on the car for it to protect against uv. what i would do is to go to a good bodyshop in your area, and have them to get w/ whatever paint supplier they use and have them run a "mil gauge" on it. it will tell how much clear is on the car, and then if there is not enough on it from factory u can take that reading to the dealer and plead your case

1 - 20 of 576 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.