Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't decide what forum to put this in, so I figured audio/visual would be the closest related to electrical wiring. Mods, I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.

Is there a good place either in the headliner or someplace else I can run a wire from to install a Valentine 1 hardwiring kit? This will be my first "mod" and I don't want to tear anything up unnecessarily or splice into the wrong wire.

Thanks,
TP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
I havent done this................yet but I was looking at the A pillar to the headliner and out the same spot for our rear view mirror lights.Before the Apillar is up from under the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I ran mine from under the dash, tucked the wire under the A pillar then up to the sun visor. I have the V1 as close to the middle of the car on the sun visor. I also am using the concealed display which is tucked into the cubby under the radio.
 

·
Nitrous Discussion Moderator
Joined
·
654 Posts
sydric said:
I ran mine from under the dash, tucked the wire under the A pillar then up to the sun visor. I have the V1 as close to the middle of the car on the sun visor. I also am using the concealed display which is tucked into the cubby under the radio.
Do you have pics of that set up??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I'd like to see pics. Considering this in the near future....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I was looking at the map lights for power. I have the wire disconnected and when I measured it, it was switched 12 volts. Was thinking of putting the V1 module in the area where the sunroof switch is. I also picked up a few of the mini 'add a circuits' from Autozone. Might run a wire from the fuse box but haven't decided yet as I'm gonna do some courtesy lights at the same time.
 

·
"Made" Member
Joined
·
75,380 Posts
Turbopilot said:
I couldn't decide what forum to put this in, so I figured audio/visual would be the closest related to electrical wiring. Mods, I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.

Is there a good place either in the headliner or someplace else I can run a wire from to install a Valentine 1 hardwiring kit? This will be my first "mod" and I don't want to tear anything up unnecessarily or splice into the wrong wire.

Thanks,
TP
You know what... you thought about it, put a concious effort into deciding
what would be the best forum to put this in. I can honestly ask for nothing
more than that. You sir... get the gold star for today.

~castrol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,282 Posts
You know what... you thought about it, put a concious effort into deciding
what would be the best forum to put this in. I can honestly ask for nothing
more than that. You sir... get the gold star for today.
Do I get a gold star if I clean my room? Or if I don't wet the bed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
hardwire

perosnally i ran my cobra off of the wire from the rear view mirror then put some loom on it , looks decent and works awesome, also my radar detectors speaker blew so i ran a computer speaker(small one in cpu ) above in my headliner works awesome, a lot louder and definately audible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,135 Posts
i have my v1 on the top of the windshield next to the rear view. i ran the wire in the headliner, down the a-pillar, through the dash and into the fuse box. if you guys just toy around you can find spots to slip the wire into. the only part of the wire you can see is about 2 inches and thats from the headliner to the detector. fyi any detector should be placed on the top of the windshield
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
hard wire it into the wires for the rear view mirror...thats what i did
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
I really love the Valentine 1. In fact it saved my ass this morning! Just run the wire up to the headliner, then over to the drivers' side a-pillar and down to the fuse block. Then tag the hot-while-cranking accessory wire (so it doesn't turn on twice when you start the car)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,789 Posts
although i don't have the v1, i hardwired my cobra radar detector. power from the cig lighter, to a switch on the center console, back to the dash, up the a-pillar and to the mirror area. looks decent. and i can still unplug the detector if i want, and tuck the cable up.

middle is for the detector: http://www.niceguyracing.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_dsc04373.jpg
and i just realized i have no pics of the detector. will have to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Did some checking this weekend. I'm going to wire mine to the map light wire that leads to the rear view. I'll see if the direct wire kit can fit in the sunroof switch area when I pull the headliner. The courtesy lights I'm going to wire into the dome lamp and run some wires down the a-pillar on either side. The two 194 bulbs shouldn't overload the circuit too much. The lights I got from Discount Auto and they are utility lights. I looked at the schematics and did not want to go messing with the fuse box. The reason is I see a lot of the circuits going to the instrument cluster and I've read many a post of dash lights going out after hooking up something to the fusebox. The schematics that I looked were not detailed enough and I like my car to work reliably so I can :shift: :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
Remax Realtor said:
fyi any detector should be placed on the top of the windshield
Hmm, I always thought it was better to be placed lower because the cop aims for your front plate rather than the top of your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Its so the detector can get the best signal.Up higher means less objects in the way for a reading.I usually do the passenger side so I can kind of drift over and see if anything is coming up on the detector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
battmain said:
Did some checking this weekend. I'm going to wire mine to the map light wire that leads to the rear view. I'll see if the direct wire kit can fit in the sunroof switch area when I pull the headliner. The courtesy lights I'm going to wire into the dome lamp and run some wires down the a-pillar on either side. The two 194 bulbs shouldn't overload the circuit too much. The lights I got from Discount Auto and they are utility lights. I looked at the schematics and did not want to go messing with the fuse box. The reason is I see a lot of the circuits going to the instrument cluster and I've read many a post of dash lights going out after hooking up something to the fusebox. The schematics that I looked were not detailed enough and I like my car to work reliably so I can :shift: :)
A small inline fuse will always keep you safe buddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
Digichris said:
A small inline fuse will always keep you safe buddy.
Or it will fuck you over when it blows and you don't know it and you go 120 in a 30 and you are like, hey no radar.....and then the cop goes and gives you one of these :readclose. But yes an inline fuse is good.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top