Dodge SRT Forum banner

Upgrades that will not void warranty?

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  iball 
#1 ·
I'd like to add some things to my car, but with only 3,800 miles on it I really don't want to void my warranty yet. I've added a few things and have been looking at changing out the stock plugs for better ones, but I thought I would get some advice from the more experienced upgraders. I've done some searches and read through some of the threads, but haven't found too much stuff that will not kill the warranty. I know there is going to be only so much stuff I can do to it to keep from voiding it, but if there is something I can do I'd be interested. Thx for any info.

#3 ·
Mojo said:
I'd like to add some things to my car, but with only 3,800 miles on it I really don't want to void my warranty yet. I've added a few things and have been looking at changing out the stock plugs for better ones, but I thought I would get some advice from the more experienced upgraders. I've done some searches and read through some of the threads, but haven't found too much stuff that will not kill the warranty. I know there is going to be only so much stuff I can do to it to keep from voiding it, but if there is something I can do I'd be interested. Thx for any info.
Anything that didnt come from the factory or offered as a factory option can void part of the warranty.

#4 ·
Warranty issues are very iffy. Some places say one thing others say a different. I believe if you upgrade something, again all depending on what it is, has to be proven that the cause of something going wrong with the car was caused by that aftermarket product that you put on. Usually that goes along the line of simple bolt-ons such as intake, exhaust, etc. If you do larger mods such as a bigger turbo that most likely will void the warranty.

With stage upgrades from Mopar, some dealers void it if any are placed on the car, some will allow stage 1 (from what I have read). Im sure if you do a search, on here you will find people with more details, as certain situations that have happened to them.

I do know changing your spark plugs is not going to void your warranty, same as changing its oil, for those are things done to maintain a vehicle. Again, do a SEARCH! It will help.

#7 ·
I think it just depends on the dealer these days. We walked down to the dealer we bought the SRT from the other day and my dad was telling the guys about our AGP WGA and that we have S2 on order and they were like "Right on, thats awesome." And no, they weren't just saying that with the intention of crapping on our warranty.

#9 ·
It varies from dealer to dealer. I dont think mine gives a shit, I had the mopar bov as well as the borla exhaust, something as so simple as the borla exhaust they didnt even notice it, and they wouldnt notice the bov unless they took it for a spin.

Although when I went in they did check for an intake, and said that will void the warranty. So since they have been good to me I'm steering away from the intake scene for a while. I will be installing the AGP WGA as well as stage 1 soon and I guess we'll see what they say

#11 ·
We need to sticky this info about warranty, it's a menace the number of posts on this. From what I recall in every thread.

- Technically, unless otherwise is specifically written into the car's warranty, the dealer HAS TO PROVE the part caused the flaw.

- Your dealer can't void the warranty, DCX has to.

- Read your warranty.

- FIND A FRIENDLY DEALER. This is critical.

#13 ·
Well my dealership had a car clinic for new owners lastnight. When they asked if anybody had any warranty questions I hit them with every question I had. The straight answer the head of the service dept. gave was I can do stage 1 & 2, but NO 3. I can upgrade to a mopar BOV, but no aftermarket upgrades from other makers then mopar. They recomend against a CAI, but said they had no issue w/a K&N drop in filter. Basicly as long as it's a mopar part installed by them they will not void my warranty. :eveilgrin Bring on the upgrades.

#14 ·
Mojo said:
Well my dealership had a car clinic for new owners lastnight. When they asked if anybody had any warranty questions I hit them with every question I had. The straight answer the head of the service dept. gave was I can do stage 1 & 2, but NO 3. I can upgrade to a mopar BOV, but no aftermarket upgrades from other makers then mopar. They recomend against a CAI, but said they had no issue w/a K&N drop in filter. Basicly as long as it's a mopar part installed by them they will not void my warranty. :eveilgrin Bring on the upgrades.
Yep, that's a true N.C. dealer for you. NASCAR fan-country there.
I find that the dealerships where they employ people that are "into the scene" pretty much know what will and what will NOT void the warranty coverage on a particular repair. In order to get your entire warranty VOIDED however, you'd pretty much have to do something really, really stupid. Or you have a very, very stupid dealer. It's 50/50 really.

#16 ·
all you need is a mod friendly dealership, and you're in like chin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.