Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, original transmission with a build date from 06/2004, does have the slight infamous 3rd gear grind. Car has 205K original miles on it. I use a Hurst STS.

The transmission uses Mobil 1 10w40 Motor Oil for the fluid and I have ran it since getting it, as did the original owner who raced it.

I just installed an AGP 1/3/5 Gear Extender into the transmission, this is my second installation, I installed one into my friends SRT-4 for him previously a while back and it worked perfectly fine and still does. Everything shifts perfectly normal when car is off, I have readjusted my crossover bolt too. I did notice it is a little hard to shift too when the car is off.
Gears 1/2/5/R do not go in but they do shift if I push hard enough, Gears 3/4 shift and move. Neutral also stalls the call as if it were in gear, Clutch only has 8K miles on it. When shifted into 1st or 2nd gear and attempting to move, it will grab onto the shifter and wont allow me to move unless I forcefully move it. 2/4/R Shifter is not broken and appears rather healthy

I will be taking the assembly back apart tomorrow as its about to storm here right now, but I am just seeing if I can get a few answers here that may help.

Video:

·
Registered
424 Posts
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, original transmission with a build date from 06/2004, does have the slight infamous 3rd gear grind. Car has 205K original miles on it. I use a Hurst STS.

The transmission uses Mobil 1 10w40 Motor Oil for the fluid and I have ran it since getting it, as did the original owner who raced it.

I just installed an AGP 1/3/5 Gear Extender into the transmission, this is my second installation, I installed one into my friends SRT-4 for him previously a while back and it worked perfectly fine and still does. Everything shifts perfectly normal when car is off, I have readjusted my crossover bolt too. I did notice it is a little hard to shift too when the car is off.
Gears 1/2/5/R do not go in but they do shift if I push hard enough, Gears 3/4 shift and move. Neutral also stalls the call as if it were in gear, Clutch only has 8K miles on it. When shifted into 1st or 2nd gear and attempting to move, it will grab onto the shifter and wont allow me to move unless I forcefully move it. 2/4/R Shifter is not broken and appears rather healthy

I will be taking the assembly back apart tomorrow as its about to storm here right now, but I am just seeing if I can get a few answers here that may help.

Video:
Did you bend a fork? My trans isnt that hard to shift, at all. plus when its in neutral, the rod is more or less centered in the carrier.

I have a mad dog 72% with the rod breaks installed, so I dont know if the hust looks different.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you bend a fork? My trans isnt that hard to shift, at all. plus when its in neutral, the rod is more or less centered in the carrier.

I have a mad dog 72% with the rod breaks installed, so I dont know if the hust looks different.

Not that I saw, when I took my shift selector off all my forks looked in good condition, I made sure all pins were centered correctly on my billet shift and extender and before I installed it back on I shifted the shift selector off the transmission and it went fine. Possibly I could have when I put it back on the transmission and then went and drove it, it went into 1st and 2nd gear then as soon as I went into 3rd, there was nothing, but it drove 1st and 2nd back home. I'll be taking it back off tomorrow afternoon once the rain stops and checking. If I did then well, I'm already in need of a new transmission anyways.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not that I saw, when I took my shift selector off all my forks looked in good condition, I made sure all pins were centered correctly on my billet shift and extender and before I installed it back on I shifted the shift selector off the transmission and it went fine. Possibly I could have when I put it back on the transmission and then went and drove it, it went into 1st and 2nd gear then as soon as I went into 3rd, there was nothing, but it drove 1st and 2nd back home. I'll be taking it back off tomorrow afternoon once the rain stops and checking. If I did then well, I'm already in need of a new transmission anyways.
I see. where are you located?

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. where are you located?

Southern Kansas right now.
But yeah, when I first installed it the car idled and ran as if I never took it apart, but as soon as I went from 2nd gear to 3rd my shifter just fell forward as if I had no 3rd gear and my 4th gear grinded. At the time I turned around and drove 1/2 home then readjusted my crossover again and then this problem started, my big thing is figuring out why when I'm in neutral my car acts as if its in gear and wants to move forward but stalls.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took off my shift selector to review what I worked on and it appears none of my forks are really broken, one appears to be in the gear position and I cant get it up, but my selectors are all installed properly. I did clear the small bit of debris.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
You could contact Modern Performance and see if they can put you in touch with Ed Peters, If he's available. I'm sure you've seen his tech videos. Could be a good resource.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could contact Modern Performance and see if they can put you in touch with Ed Peters, If he's available. I'm sure you've seen his tech videos. Could be a good resource.

Just a thought.
After a bunch of messing around and even biting the bullet and taking it to the dealership when I couldn’t figure it iit, I decided to buy a Upgraded Reman Transmission, since my 3/4 Synchro and 3rd Gear we’re going bad from the original owner abusing her, and the transmission on the car was factory original. I needed it anyways, plus new Clutch, TOB, Fork and such. So hopefully next week she’ll be even healthier than before.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Ed Peters has passed away.

You have classic worn out clutch/transmission issues. Your blocker rings should be toast by now and then who knows what else. Need to disassemble and find out what it really is.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
^+1 Plus OP said his vehicle was raced by previous owner. And 205k miles on the transmission with just clutch jobs? Yeah internals are probably in bad shape. I had my 3rd gear needle bearing go out on mine. at 130k. My synchros and everything else looked fine. This was on my original SRT-4 I had. Hopefully your "upgraded reman" you are getting will be good. I use Royal Purple Synchromax in my SRT-4. I need to change it again soon.

Where about in "southern Kansas" are you? I am in Gardner. 30 minutes south of Kansas City.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^+1 Plus OP said his vehicle was raced by previous owner. And 205k miles on the transmission with just clutch jobs? Yeah internals are probably in bad shape. I had my 3rd gear needle bearing go out on mine. at 130k. My synchros and everything else looked fine. This was on my original SRT-4 I had. Hopefully your "upgraded reman" you are getting will be good. I use Royal Purple Synchromax in my SRT-4. I need to change it again soon.

Where about in "southern Kansas" are you? I am in Gardner. 30 minutes south of Kansas City.
Hey! Yeah the reman transmission is fully rebuilt with resharpened gear hubs and fixed gears themselves and locked in with Pwerks Carbon Snap Rings from what he’s wrote. Then again, I’ll know once I get it, they’ve sold a few and have great reviews so far, this was their last one and for a good price so I’m hoping it’ll be good to me.

But yeah once I bought the car it already have tranny trouble, mostly with the 3rd gear and eventually over time sticking 2nd and a little 1st. The original shop who worked on the clutch actually forgot a few bell housing bolts that connected the transmission and I gave them a new one for that. Plus the original owner abused the car pretty nicely, not saying I havent either.

But I’m in Independence, KS! I spend most of my time up in Olathe, Gardner and Kansas City with family though!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Nice, hope you get your transmission timely. I know of a local that literally had to drive to South Carolina from Kansas to pick his transmission up since the guy building it was giving him all sorts of excuses.

Details on what shop is doing this transmission? Would suck if they say its built and its just a stock transmission. :(

Cool man, you should join up KC SRT-4 on FaceBook. Really not much of a SRT-4 community out here. But its good to know of locals and keep track since these cars are pretty rare now.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, hope you get your transmission timely. I know of a local that literally had to drive to South Carolina from Kansas to pick his transmission up since the guy building it was giving him all sorts of excuses.

Details on what shop is doing this transmission? Would suck if they say its built and its just a stock transmission. :(

Cool man, you should join up KC SRT-4 on FaceBook. Really not much of a SRT-4 community out here. But its good to know of locals and keep track since these cars are pretty rare now.
The shop is CGAUTO in Orlando Florida, he is actually shipping it to me and cost about 2K versus the dealership $4500 for a reman they found somewhere else. He has sold a few and has said its a Rebuilt tranny with some Pwerks parts . Everything was inspected and pre soaked in Mobil 1 before installation. I’m hoping it’ll be as good as he said, I’m trusting him because of the 100% reviews he’s had and nothing negative so far. He hasn’t given any excuse and has been super easy to work with, so that’s a plus for me unlike AAMCO and another out of city dealership I dealt with.

But I’ll definitely check out KC SRT-4! I’m up there a lot and go to as many car shows as I can, eventually you’ll see an Orange SRT without a front bumper driving around haha

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Wow had no idea, thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts