Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering how hard would it be to wire up the universal EMS 2 to work with the SRT ECU like the first series.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the best bet would be to use the new EMS-4. It's a new universal ECU based on the V2 and designed specifically for 4 cyl and smaller engines.

It will start shipping in just a couple of weeks and with a starter harness (whats shown in the pic + terminals) it will be in the $850-900 range. With a 96" unterminated harness with fuse block, relay etc it will be in the $999-$1,099 range. :wah?!:

This ECU runs the full V2 software, the only limitation is the physical drivers/pinout. If a function exists in the standard V2 firmware, it is in the EMS4 firmware. It's usability will only be limited by the EMS4 hardware. As an example, the EMS4 only has 4 injector drivers so while staged injection is included, it will only be possible if you are using a 2 cylinder engine!

Basic features:
Injectors, 4 saturated
Coils, 4 TTL
Crank, Hall or Mag
Cam, Hall or Mag
VSS, Hall
CLT, Dedicated
AIT, Dedicated
TPS, Dedicated
MAP, Dedicated
Knock , Yes, center frequency software selectable
Spare 0-5, GPIO1-8 may be used as analog inputs
LS Out, GPIO1-8 may be used as 1.5A LS outputs
Switch, GPIO1-4 may be used as switch inputs
PWM Outputs, GPIO5-8 may be used as PWM outputs
Lambda, 1 Dedicated (0-5v) Lambda input
Idle Control, PW Style, uses GPIO5-8
Comms, USB 2.0
CAN Bus, CAN 2.0
Internal Logging, 8MB
Max Log Rate, 250HZ per channel
Individual cylinder trims, 17 point RPM Table, both Fuel & Spark
Boost Control, PW Style, uses GPIO5-8
Nitrous Control, Yes, same firmware as V2
Staged Injection, Yes, same firmware as V2
Ground Speed Limiting, Yes, same firmware as V2
Traction Control, Yes, same firmware as V2
Anti-Lag, Yes, same firmware as V2
Shift Cut, Yes, same firmware as V2
Sealed Enclosure, Yes

As to using it on an SRT4, there would be some things that would be necessary.

First, the EMS4 ignition output is TTL only (not direct drive) so either an ignitor would be needed (AEM 30-2840), our 4 channel CDI (30-2821), or a coil change to units with the ignitor included in them.

Second, There is no voltage regulator in this ECU so you would need to use the factory ECU or make other arrangements.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is the V2 software/hardware that big of an advantage to warrant custom wiring/hacking up the engine harness versus the plug and play functionality of the original?

If so please explain.
The question was basically which V2 EMS would be the best to use and wire up like the AEM V1 EMS and we don't make a PnP V2 solution so wiring one in is the only option.

First, I would never advocate cutting or hacking into a factory harness. In almost every situation the end result will be far inferior to the factory part in every way. A disaster waiting to happen. Regardless of what ECU you are wiring in, if it is not PnP then you should make an adapter harness based on one of these harnesses, or something like this:

I don't know if anyone other than us makes an extension for the SRT-4 ECU but if they do then those could be used as well.

I am a big fan of the V2 EMS because it is more advanced than the V1 EMS in practically every way. But the big thing going for the 30-1510 V1 PnP EMS is that it is 100% Plug-n-Play for the SRT-4.

Right now I cant say I favor one over then other. With time the V2 development will widen the gap significantly over the V1 but right now I don't know if the wiring trouble is worth it.

But if someone made a V2 adapter harness like the V1 has I would choose that one in a second!.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have been stubborn about using the V1 with Uego as the computer/tuning method for my build for a while now. Then I saw this post. I always thought using the V2 was out of the question until a PnP version comes out, now I have hope.

Other than the things listed in post #2 is there anything else at all required to make a V2 work on a SRT-4? Would a Coil-On-Plug kit like the one DCR sells take care of the first problem? Is the full V2 TTL only too? I presume the harness you suggested would take care of the second problem?

-Matthew

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can the V2 control the stock tach and speedo? Cause I thought that the stock ecu was used to control that too. If so I would basically just have to make a harness with the same pinouts as the v1 harness right?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can the V2 control the stock tach and speedo? Cause I thought that the stock ecu was used to control that too. If so I would basically just have to make a harness with the same pinouts as the v1 harness right?
I'll have to wait a bit till I get back into the office to answer this one. I don't have the schematics for the V1 SRT4 EMS available to me here so I cant answer this with any accuracy.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't just use a V1 harness on the V2.. That would be too easy if that was the case.

Could I get a picture of the connectors on the universal V2? Could a V1 be upgraded to a V2 somehow?

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I use their harness adapter then yea I should be able to use the v1 harnes. Just would have cut one end wire it to the V2. But I think I'm gonna end up making my own harness since I'm gonna end up with an Avenger head setup and would also like to include my guage's harness into it and make it look factory. But this is still a few months away since I work in Iraq still

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't just use a V1 harness on the V2.. That would be too easy if that was the case.

Could I get a picture of the connectors on the universal V2? Could a V1 be upgraded to a V2 somehow?
The V1 SRT4 EMS is a specific EMS designed for the SRT4. It has a unique connector (SRT4) and pin-out. There is no way to upgrade an existing V1 EMS to a V2 as literally the entire guts would need to be replaced and there is no V2 SRT4 daughter board in existence to do it with. That's why I think that if you want to go V2 then the EMS-4 with an adapter harness would be the best way to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts