Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Uhh...help?

OK...ever since I gapped my plugs at 0.035, I've been having some problems, so I think I'm going to gap them back to 0.040...

Anyway, what just happened...

I'm crusin' along, goin' about 40 mph, in third gear and give it about half-throttle. I have stage 2, so it boosted to about 15 and all of a sudden I hear a loud "ffwwooop!" and boost drops and the car jolts. What just happened? Detonation? Sounded like a really loud turbo flutter...

Let up off the gas...and everything is fine again. I didn't go WOT or anything after the incident just cuz I thought I might have broke something. Look under the hood and all my hoses are on...vac lines are ok. WTF?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Get under that car and check all your ic hoses. Sounds like you just popped one off. Could you make any boost after you heard that?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Roc said:
OK...ever since I gapped my plugs at 0.035, I've been having some problems, so I think I'm going to gap them back to 0.040...

Anyway, what just happened...

I'm crusin' along, goin' about 40 mph, in third gear and give it about half-throttle. I have stage 2, so it boosted to about 15 and all of a sudden I hear a loud "ffwwooop!" and boost drops and the car jolts. What just happened? Detonation? Sounded like a really loud turbo flutter...

Let up off the gas...and everything is fine again. I didn't go WOT or anything after the incident just cuz I thought I might have broke something. Look under the hood and all my hoses are on...vac lines are ok. WTF?
funny coz that happened to me once and scared the crap outta me :lol: but mine happened in 5th gear, i was going like 70ish when 2 imports (hondas) racing blew pass me so i decided to catch them and didn't downshift to 4th... i went half throttle in 5th and car hit a wall, felt almost like boost cut, i slowed down after that happened, fearing it was detonation but car was ok... not sure what that was :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Makadoo said:
Get under that car and check all your ic hoses. Sounds like you just popped one off. Could you make any boost after you heard that?

um ya...everything was fine. it happened, i let off, then I was boostin' again.

no lines popped off, no hoses popped off...cuz i was making boost right after it happened.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
04TurboSRT said:
funny coz that happened to me once and scared the crap outta me :lol: but mine happened in 5th gear, i was going like 70ish when 2 imports (hondas) racing blew pass me so i decided to catch them and didn't downshift to 4th... i went half throttle in 5th and car hit a wall, felt almost like boost cut, i slowed down after that happened, fearing it was detonation but car was ok... not sure what that was :(
hmm

maybe it's the "don't fuckin' slam it in the wrong gear, dumbass" sound?

I wonder if it's really bad...it sounded bad. Well, I know it can't be good...but is it bad enough to where I should fix something? or take it to the shop?

Dale? care to chime in? pweese? =) Maybe like...it just didn't like boosting so much at such a low RPM and opened the wastegate on me or something?
Was it turbo surge? Turbo surge is bad. Or was it just a boost cut by the computer and everything is fine? Again, was a pretty big jolt (like hitting a wall, like 04TurboSRT4 said) and i heard a loud "FWWOOP!" sound. None of my hoses or vac lines popped off.

Oh, yesterday one of my hoses popped off. Fixed it. Then I take it for a drive to test it, and the clamp on my intake elbow to the turbo blows off (worm gear) and takes out my hydralic line in the process. So no brakes, lol. Red line on the cold side popped off too. This was all yesterday. Fixed all that.

Everything seemed to be ok until this "FWWOOP!" sound happened. I'm havin' trouble figuring out if my car is broken or not, lol. Everything works fine...just stupid stuff keeps happening, which is making me think something is busted. But all this stuff happening could just be coincidence....

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
btw, after that "FWWOOP!" incident my car ran real sluggish.... up until i reset the ecm (battery) and it ran good again... most likely, timing was pulled...

one of 3 things i thinks happened:
1. it detonated and stalled for a split second (but no apparent damage).
2. spark blow-out occured
3. boost or fuel cut occured (does our cars have that?)

anyone? anyone?

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
That same FWWOOP happened to me a few weeks ago... Currently I haven't installed my S2/WGA/EBC, so I am currently on the Stock 04 PCM... A day or so later I got a CEL saying plug #2 missfire... I took it into the dealership and they replaced the wires and plugs. Then a week later the CEL came back on again... saying plug #2 missfire again. I took it in to the dealership and they were perplexed on the plug issue becaused they did the repair based on the Plug/ 90deg Wire TSB... In the process they flashed my PCM with an update and replaced wires/plugs and it's still getting a missfire code. Now they ordered me a set of new 04 OEM injectors to fix the missfire issue cause they think the #2 injector is not working properly. Maybe this could be part of the problem causing that noise and jult that the car gave. This has only happened to me once so far.

·
Registered
448 Posts
FYX193 said:
That same FWWOOP happened to me a few weeks ago... Currently I haven't installed my S2/WGA/EBC, so I am currently on the Stock 04 PCM... A day or so later I got a CEL saying plug #2 missfire... I took it into the dealership and they replaced the wires and plugs. Then a week later the CEL came back on again... saying plug #2 missfire again. I took it in to the dealership and they were perplexed on the plug issue becaused they did the repair based on the Plug/ 90deg Wire TSB... In the process they flashed my PCM with an update and replaced wires/plugs and it's still getting a missfire code. Now they ordered me a set of new 04 OEM injectors to fix the missfire issue cause they think the #2 injector is not working properly. Maybe this could be part of the problem causing that noise and jult that the car gave. This has only happened to me once so far.
ahh please let me know how this turns out... my car one day started missing, they said misfire on cylinder #4, they changed the plugs, did not fix it, now they're gonna do the wires next, but it seems it will be no help... :eeeek:

let me clear that up some... the misfire was shown because of bad programming on my ignition key, and while reprogramming it and testing for the missing they said they found the missfire on cylinder #4

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
I'll post an update soon after I get it serviced for the new injectors. I will probably have it done this monday or wednesday.

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
Well after the new injectors I'm not having missfire issues anymore... The car feels much more powerful then it did before too. Good luck with your missfire issue. I have been to the dealership 3-4 times about the #2 Missfire code and it's finally fixed.

Now I can put my MSD wires & NGK plugs back on... The dealership thought I was throwing a CEL because of the MSD & NGK mods because they weren't OEM spec. I was telling them that the combination of those mods were much better than the OEM and couldn't cause the missfire unless I gapped them wrong or the wires were bad. Should have seen their faces when I brought the car back within that week for another Missfire on Cyl2. I told them, like I said it's not the MSD wires/NGK plugs... It's gotta be something else. So they ordered me new injectors and everything is back to normal. I'll probably give it another week or two before I switch back to the MSD/NGK setup just to be sure about the injector fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts