Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what would you guys think about adding another turbo to the SRT-4.

Let the games begin!

·
Registered
6 Posts
1) Pointless
2) Frivolous
3) PITA to tune
4) Weighs more
5) Costs more
6) Stupid

Inline motor configurations are perfectly suited to single turbo applications. Showy bling-bling would be the only reason to even attempt such a fantasy.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
YOu dont have enough volume to turbos at the same time. The MKIV supra and the Nissan Sky line both have 3 runners spooling 1 turbo.

On the srt you wil only have 2.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Even if you could, where the hell would you put it? That engine compartment is stuffed! I agree with the idea that it would be a major pain in the ass...

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone was gonna bring it up eventually so I figured I would get it out of the way.

Twin Turbo SRT-4, R.I.P

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
hmmm, in a very recent magazine article they were using sequential turbos on a 4 cyl. it might have been one of the turbo mags... turbo and high tech, or something like that.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
im not talking about the supercharger/turbo set-up. i am talking about sequential turbos. a small turbo mated to a large turbo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
U could set it up sequential style. Which is smaller turbo feeding a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can get the same amount of boost out of a single turbo than you can running twin turbo's, the only reason for a twin turbo setup is for room. Many people don't realize this. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am not an expert, but here is my understanding. There are a number of reasons to run twin turbos or a turbo/supercharger combination on small motors. The classic example of a twin turbo a small motor was the RX-7.

With only one turbo you must choose small, medium, or large (I know this is a drastic over simplification.) With a small turbo you get fast spool up for more power down low, but it poops out at high volume boost production for the big HP numbers. A big turbo makes the big power but it takes longer to spool up so low RPM oomph is missing. Many FWD guys use these on small engines because they have no traction anyway so it helps them get out of the hole. Once they hook up the big turbo kicks in and they are off. This is why you see some big HP numbers at high rpm and low torque figures at the low end and mid range.

Medium is a obviously a compromise. The variable vain turbos of the late 90s were an attempt to have a turbo act small at low RPM and then act large at high.

The RX-7 used sequential turbos in small and larger size to get the best of both worlds.

In the mid 80’s Fiat and Lancia used turbo/supercharger combinations successfully in World Rally cars during the infamous HP race in the Group B rally cars. They were known as the Killer Bs. Lancia actually won the championship with this combination in their Delta S4. http://freespace.virgin.net/shalco.com/lancia_S4.htm

There are other examples, but I have written enough.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I would have no opposition to a twin turbo because one turbo can compensate for the weakness of the other. The only problem is where to put it in such a restrictive area... :idea: Now if some one could produce a setup that is the size of one turbo, but functions like a twin setup, that would change the whole scene of turbo power! :shock: Any dedicated engineers out there?

·
Registered
449 Posts
SpitterGuy said:
I would have no opposition to a twin turbo because one turbo can compensate for the weakness of the other. The only problem is where to put it in such a restrictive area... :idea: Now if some one could produce a setup that is the size of one turbo, but functions like a twin setup, that would change the whole scene of turbo power! :shock: Any dedicated engineers out there?
Its been done before. VNT turbos do just that.
http://www.egarrett.com/technology/tech_vnt_pv.jsp?justlist=1&l1id=1&l2id=2&l3id=3
http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/e-class-t/facts_m2.htm

·
Registered
449 Posts
They do use them on gasoline engines. Dodge sold VNT equipped gasoline cars in '90, give or take a year.

Many Bell Engineering turbo kits have used Aerodyne VNT turbos.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They have not gotten popular because they take up too much space, they are too complex, and they are too expensive. Remember that the Lancia was mid engined with lots of space around the motor; it was factory engineered and factory sponsored so none of the caveats above mattered.

A twin turbo or a turbo/supercharger for the SRT would be impractical, but it was an interesting thread.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
29 Participants
Fastredcar4
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing